#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

All those defensively accountable midfielders dodoro is drafting/trading.

I could go through this in detail, but I think it pretty much goes back to my original point.
It’s silly to ignore that Stringer is playing this season.

In McGrath
Out Jobe

Makes a huge difference.

5 Likes

And Smith.

Adding in with Zerrett, Parish and even Zaka now does the two way running.

1 Like

Point taken, but we seem to be at polar opposites, and I think that’s worthy enough for discussion. If we just leave it as “Stringer makes everything different” then what’s the point?

Do you think anything worked better in 2017 than 16 or 15?

It was all Skipworth’s fault.

Yeah, I do.
But I think it was because of talent, not strategy.

For mine, a lot of the ‘strategy’ of the forward line was kicking it in front of raz, stewart and joe for them to run into goal and kick it with their freakish athletic ability. If that wasn’t on, drop it on hookers head and hope walla/raz/mids pushing up work some magic, or joe just pulls something out of the ether.

very little actual creating space for each other and leading up to the ball, even though we beat collingwood, they could do this with relative ease compared to us.

I tend to agree. Have a look at that last quarter against norf for an example of how our forward line should function. JD and Stewart providing leading options, hooker dropping back to the square to isolate his man, tippa charging for the square to crumb to hooker.

I’m really not sure it matters what the perception of the forward line entry\structure is - better to look at the output - because you don’t ‘fluke it’ over an entire season.

The fact is it worked extremely efficiently and we haven’t looked as dangerous in decades.

(always room to improve of course)

3 Likes

The thing with Essendon’s forward line is that players are multidimensional. Stewart, case in point. He has pace and reads the ball well off hands/ground (crumbs like a rover), coupled with increased confidence in his 1 grab marks late in the season makes him an exciting prospect.

Can’t say I remember players getting in each others way all that much either. And seriously, they’ve kicked over a 100 points 11 times this year when in the previous 3 seasons they’d managed that feat 10 times! Clearly, the forward line is doing its job and when there’s a lack of cohesion it’s usually the midfield’s inability to get there hands on the ball.

And yes, Hooker went missing at times but he still impacts the contest and needs a quality defender. As I recall, he only got smashed once this year against Richmond but something wasn’t right with him that night (uncharacteristic fumbles).

Stringer and Smith will change team dynamics with their play through the midfield/forward line. Hard to gauge how that will look until they start playing with the boys although it’s hoped their inclusion will generate a 10-15% improvement in the team and add a much needed hardened edge.

4 Likes

It worked efficiently, until we came up against teams that could defend.

adelaide, sydney, richmond

Why do you follow me around pot shotting everything I say about hooker being a forward? It seems like the only person who can’t understand his position, is you

1 Like

There are good arguments for Hooker to be played at either end of the ground but to claim that Joe Dan will never reach his potential if Hooker isn’t played forward again is a load of crap.

Your underestimating Joey and your so rigid in your thinking that if anyone has a different opinion than yourself they must be completely wrong.

Hooker to stay forward. Boost the defense by providing more defensive coverage through the midfield. Hopefully moving McGrath into the midfield group will have that effect. The inclusion of Saad will cover McGrath. To me the biggest backline loss has been Kelly. They always seemed more focus with him there.

1 Like

I did not say joe won’t reach his potential if hooker goes back, joe will continue to develop yearly for a while. your putting words in my mouth to suit your arguement. What I said was joe wouldn’t have had the year he did this year without hooker, and that’s true. Do you think Stewart could have provided 40+ Goals and taken a quality defender every week? I don’t, he’s not at hookers level. The only way I could see hooker going back is if we traded in another genuine key forward to replace hooker. But the main reason I don’t want hooker to go back, is that he kicked 40 plus in his first year back after a ban. He’s the perfect second key forward with joe. Key forwards who kick that many don’t grow in trees, just have a look at out goalkicking records to see the last time someone kicked 40 or more. Il tell you, it was Lloyd

I don’t think anyone who disagrees with me is wrong, but if Heppell, woosha, and other senior players say he’s a forward, what other convincing do you need?

1 Like

“I did not say joe won’t reach his potential if hooker goes back”

Bloke, maybe you need to check your original post before throwing the next one down.

Joe needs a second key forward of hooker’s caliber to keep on improving. I’m a drunk and probably forget what I post so il give you that, but it’s a valid point

2 Likes

With Stringer roaming a little further out Hooker can stay close to goals for his clunks so his accuracy isn’t a concern, maybe 5-10 metres out max as a long to the square option?

Rock and Hard place. Who do our opponents double team? Hooker is top 2 in the afl for contested marks, Joey is far more mobile and will play further from goal. Our opponents would need 4 tall defenders, leaving room for only 2 small medium defenders to match up on Fanta, Tippa, Green, Stringer.

Its going to be a nightmare for the opposition.

Take hooker away, it makes it a lot easier for them to defend with 2 talls and 4 small mediums.