#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

Overlooking key forwards in the draft, and recruiting tall defenders Brown and Hartley (Francis is a tallish defender too), makes me think Hooker will play forward again this year. Personally I hope he does, as I thought he brought a lot to the role last year.

Joe needs some help, and I think Hooker complements him well. I reckon Hooker is the best key forward we’ve had since Lloyd and Lucas were near their prime, and has a Travis Cloke like presence. Unlike the other options we have, he would demand the oppositions best defender, freeing up Joe.

I must say, regardless of our intentions this coming season, I was surprised that we didn’t grab a key forward with one of our first four picks. Especially considering the unusually high proportion of key forwards that were taken in the first two rounds this year and the shortage of options on our list.

You'd wonder about him getting his info from someone at the club if he knew about an investigation in 2012. Not even Evans knew about that till 2013. Must know someone higher up in the AFL.

No, he knows a guy who was a trainee in the sports science department or whatever it’s called at EFC. So he had some insight into what was being used. I don’t know about the ‘investigation’ side of it, but didn’t the CAS documents mention something about September 2012?

Lose both Hooker and Hurley and Essendon will be guaranteed cellar dwellers for at least the next 5 years.

rubbish. We’ll have a very good midfield in no time. Look what Worsfold did at West Coast with a strong midfield and stuff all else.
Plus it’s easier to get calls through Free agency these days.

Yes, the midfield is slowly on the way to being good. But , if H & H leave, Essendon will be exposed for lack of quality key position players.

Heard today (but it's one of these "my cousin works with someone who told him, etc, etc) that Cale Hooker has already told people he will not be returning to EFC and has already bought a house in Perth.

I prefer to wait for actual press releases, but hey, “sharing is caring”, so I thought I’d share.

PS: it seems a bit far fetched to think he is so confident of getting to one of the two Perth teams at this stage. If he has bought a house, maybe it’s just for investment or if he’s planning on returning to WA after his playing career.

Thank you for sharing, and I don’t mean to shut you down but unless you’re hearing info like this from someone very close to the matter I’d take it with a grain of salt. Its already obvious that Cale is going to be the “one” that is surrounded by constant speculation this year. The papers went early on it and there’s no doubt the weasel and co will be running with it this year. He’s an in demand All Australian key position player that happens to be from interstate. Join the dots.
Fact is the decision broke less than a month ago. I do not believe Cale has already told people he will not be returning to Essendon.

I always take everything with a grain of salt, but the person who told me this also told me in November 2012 that EFC would be investigated for drug use (he said for using testosterone cream, but I assume that was actually AOD-9604). I didn’t say it on here at the time because I thought it was laughable. He is not close to the club, but he knows someone who worked there.

I’m not saying it’s true or that I believe it, I’m just saying it’s something I heard.

Well I’d be gutted if he left, the bloke plays with the type of heart and spirit that we need. I can’t stand watching Ryder playing for Port, but seeing Hooksey in a Dockers or Eagles jumper would be 100 times worse.

You'd wonder about him getting his info from someone at the club if he knew about an investigation in 2012. Not even Evans knew about that till 2013. Must know someone higher up in the AFL.

No, he knows a guy who was a trainee in the sports science department or whatever it’s called at EFC. So he had some insight into what was being used. I don’t know about the ‘investigation’ side of it, but didn’t the CAS documents mention something about September 2012?

Ok. I thought you said he knew we would be investigated. Anyway, I don’t want to sound like a nit picking idiot. As far as the CAS date of 2012 I seem to recall that confusing absolutely everyone because it suggested that we self reported then which just isn’t the case.

Some managers are seeing this as a chance to extend deals at very inflated prices otherwise threaten to walk. Interesting how this plays out.

On Wallace and his co host, I heard them say that and then say it is too early to name names. Thus, pure speculation.

I would have thought that it would be wrong for any club to be speaking with any player at this time of year when they are still contracted? Or is it Essendon therefore it is okay?

Approaching players under contract is one of those rules that is written but not enforced. As if all clubs aren’t doing it, not just to Essendon players. Ask O’meara’s manager how many clubs have called about him.

Issue could more be what CAS or ASADA had to say if they found out a player was meeting with a coach/officials, would be a breach of their bans.

it’s more like the old 3 party to a drug deal trick. the buyer speaks to the middle man and pays him, while person three comes along with the drugs.

no club would directly be talking to any player, cos that’s what it states, NO player.
i doubt very much it says anywhere however a club can’t talk to said players manager and offer them the world and free ■■■■■■■■ cos that’s how much we love your player.

I’d be surprised if any club that wanted any of the 12 players, that they weren’t on the phone to said players manager the day after the cas hearing.

Some managers are seeing this as a chance to extend deals at very inflated prices otherwise threaten to walk. Interesting how this plays out.

On Wallace and his co host, I heard them say that and then say it is too early to name names. Thus, pure speculation.

I would have thought that it would be wrong for any club to be speaking with any player at this time of year when they are still contracted? Or is it Essendon therefore it is okay?

Approaching players under contract is one of those rules that is written but not enforced. As if all clubs aren’t doing it, not just to Essendon players. Ask O’meara’s manager how many clubs have called about him.

Issue could more be what CAS or ASADA had to say if they found out a player was meeting with a coach/officials, would be a breach of their bans.

“Fast tracking” is a bullshit media buzzslogan that means crap all.

There’s a reason we have 10 top up players. If young players are ready they play even in the better sides, if they’re not ready then forcing them out there can actually be damaging (see Melbourne).

One point that is valid that is being made by some in the media is that this year provides an opportunity to really fast track the development of some of our kids and we will reap the benefits moving forward.

However, that is on the proviso, that a large portion of the 12 return next year. If they don’t, well then regeneration will take far longer.

Who are we moving forward now?

You’d wonder about him getting his info from someone at the club if he knew about an investigation in 2012. Not even Evans knew about that till 2013. Must know someone higher up in the AFL.

One point that is valid that is being made by some in the media is that this year provides an opportunity to really fast track the development of some of our kids and we will reap the benefits moving forward.

However, that is on the proviso, that a large portion of the 12 return next year. If they don’t, well then regeneration will take far longer.

Not surprising, … we know most of them read blitz, … that was being said here by most of us, within 24 hours of losing the diddled dozen.

Hey Hey Hey…

Take your Pears hatred elsewhere.

And some people wonder why the club advises players not to read this site.

Dont see why he wouldn’t go. Who knows when essendon will be successful again? If one or two key players go early, it could really cascade from there.

Read it one of 2 ways. Firstly, don’t make a decision based on emotion/anger at being suspended for a whole season. If his manager is worth his salt, that’s what he’d be telling him, and to my mind that would make the likelihood of him staying greater. Even if he was given the all-clear, the offers from the west would be coming anyway. Unfortunately due to not playing he will have more time to mull over a decision. Get away from it all, enjoy life, and then come back mid-year and decide what you want to do.

Please please PLEASE stay Cale!!

This changes nothing. Media just looking for another angle to take our club down.

A supposed bidding war for hooker is on the back page of the west:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/30792593/cale-hooker-set-to-start-bidding-war/

All-Australian defender Cale Hooker will defer talks about his future until at least mid-season in a move expected to spark a bidding war among rival clubs.

The 27-year-old West Australian is one of the 12 Essendon players sitting out the 2016 season while serving doping bans.

The West Australian understands Hooker has been advised to wait until midway through this year before contemplating where he wants to play in 2017 and beyond.

The postponement of contract talks comes with compensation claims still being prepared on behalf of the 34 past and present Essendon players who were involved in the club’s 2012 supplements program and suspended last month by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

AFL Players Association chief executive Paul Marsh confirmed the appeal details this morning, saying the papers would be lodged in Switzerland later in the day.

Essendon’s insurers have committed to covering the costs of the appeal.

“What they’re seeking to do is clear their name,” Essendon chairman Lindsay Tanner told the ABC yesterday.

“It’s theoretically possible they could succeed in these proceedings and be available to play and play before the end of the 2016 season, but it sounds to me like that’s an unlikely picture.”

The dozen banned Bombers, including captain Jobe Watson, will be eligible to file for a contract breach and leave the club as de-listed free agents.

Hooker has already attracted strong interest as an official restricted free agent and given his value as one of the AFL’s best key-position players.

Fremantle are likely to chase the East Fremantle product.

The Dockers are yet to identify a replacement for retired defender Luke McPharlin.

Hooker’s experience in defence would complement Zac Dawson, Michael Johnson and emerging Alex Pearce.

Hooker, 197cm, also went forward in the second half of last season, booting 21 goals in 10 matches. The 133-gamer is coming off his best two seasons, winning his first All-Australian jumper in 2014 and Essendon’s best-and-fairest award last year.

Hooker previously turned down the chance to return to WA, refusing to be traded to West Coast in 2012 as part of a three-way deal with St Kilda involving Eagles defender Mitch Brown.

Four other West Australians — Travis Colyer, Ben Howlett, David Myers and Tayte Pears — are on the banned list and loom as targets for the WA clubs. Essendon are believed to have offered the players an extra year on their existing deals.

It’s got leaving the club all over it.
I’ll be very surprised if he stays now.

Lol. wtf?

He’s gone.

Id love to see hooksy kb freo and then they throw big money/opportunity at Tayte, win/win!