#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

So it was sensationalist garbage. Harvs said himself during the press conference that he’ll either play JLT3 or The VFL practice match. Crow said yesterday that he’ll definitely play the VFL praccy match. He’ll be a bit underdone but they’ve managed him the whole way and I’d prefer that than snapping him in half because they pushed him back too hard.

2 Likes

Tightness is normally a grade 1 tear, 6 weeks is about normal for muscle repair. Makes sense to me, especially seeing they decided to be extra cautious given they had the time to be

1 Like

Sorry but that is just flat out wrong.

Tightness is an awareness that your muscle has increased in tonic contraction, is over stimulated, or has a resistance to stretch, if you like.

A grade 1 tear is a grade 1 tear.

But even if we take your interpretation of the term tightness being a colloquial term for a minor tear (grade 1) this takes nowhere near 6 weeks to return or indeed for muscle repair to take place. A grade 1 tear heals in 2-3 weeks.

Bone takes 6-8 weeks to heal which is what you may be thinking of.

This was my area of study so apologies if I have been too pedantic (I have) lol.

8 Likes

No, it’s good to get an expert opinion.

1 Like

Woosha said tonight that he has been in full training for the past week or so and will play in the VFL practice game

4 Likes

I did the training report last Friday and was there for the whole session. Hooker was with the main group for warm up kick to kicks and then buggered off to the other oval and jogged laps and did some more light kick to kicks with Tbell for basically the rest of the session.

After the competitive drills and the full ground match simulation he did do some light semi competitive 1 vs 1 stuff.

I reckon he’s not too far away. It’ll be touch and go for round 1. They’ll play him but he’ll clearly be short of a gallop.

1 Like

So is this VFL match (at Kardinia Park?) on the Friday or the Saturday? And next week as scheduled, or brought forward to this week?

Hope they flogging him on the track because 1 VFL practice match on reduced minutes into a round 1 clash vs Hawks wouldn’t be enough.

If we end up with JD, Hooker and Belly fwd without a huge amount of lead in match conditioning going to need some rabid fwd pressure from our mosquito fleet.

Well I did ask Woosha that question but he just ignored me. I reckon it was because I had paused live TV and he had already left the studio.

9 Likes

Great to see we both studied human anatomy and physiology.

If we are talking about an increase in muscle tone (tonic contraction) that indicates to me neurogenic stimulation, which as you would know opens a big can of worms. You then need to find out is it central (brain and spinal cord) or peripheral (direct nerve supply to the muscle) as you would know, this is bad news, because either his nervous system isn’t working properly or he has something along the lines of a disc injury.

In terms of classification, I must admit I finished study 5 years ago and have been using the Grade 1, 2, 3 system in practice since then. I’m aware of an attempt to reclassify the grades but I haven’t read that research yet.

As far as I know (happy to be corrected especially by another bombers fan :blush:) Grade 1 is classified by a tear of a few muscle fibres with mild pain and minimal loss of strength, which is reproduced with resisted contraction and passive stretching. This clinically I find is reported more as “tightness” and it makes sense to me that the Club would report it as such as not to alarm the supporters.

In terms of healing time of course 6 weeks is a general rule and is simply the median healing time, as 6 - 12 is with bone. I find clinically with a grade 1 most people are pain free by week 3 which you could claim means “healed” but research suggests that there is a much lower chance of reinjury with a rehab time of anywhere between 6 and 12 weeks.

So I guess what I’m saying in a really convoluted way, that a 6 week rehab time for tightness or a grade 1 tear makes sense to me at this time of year.

4 Likes

So Nick 86 and Houley Dooley, I totally get what you are saying in absolute terms. Looking at Hookers history and his value to the team , and the very conservative approach the strength and conditioning team are taking, generally, putting little Rangas in moonboots for 2 days , breaking the scan budget etc, I think theres a case that they were just being careful with Hookseys goldplated hamstrings.because recurrence is a major problem with these injuries.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree completely. They’re just making sure it’s in perfect condition for the season with the smallest risk of reinjury possible.

If I give my opinion I think Hooker suffers from Femoro-acetabular insufficiency syndrome (FAI) which means his running mechanics aren’t great, making him prone to hamstring problems.

Obviously I only have watching from the grandstands and couch to base this on.

Have to agree. If it was a 4wk hammy recovery in regular season why not make it a 6wk+ in preseason. Ensure it’s absolutely sorted

The JLT games are meaningless really.

1 Like

HOOKER BACK DAMMIT.

All Australian. We need him.

That sounded like the good news of the Crow’s injury report. Expect him to play a full game in the VFL practice match, no monitoring his load, ready to go.

Expected to play round 1 and be fit if a little rusty.

I am loving the idea of having a big body in the goal square and small forwards darting about.

I remember seeing Joe kicking it to Jamar last year and thinking of Cale, now I will be able to see it happen in person!

The new EFC forward line to be unveiled in full on March 25th.

Give me a Walla, give me a Raz, give me a Cale, give me a Joe and a Stewart/Smack and a Colyer/Zakka and what have you got?

I’ve got no farking idea, it has never happened before!

Just give us some delivery into the forward line and a box of tissues and I’m a very happy man.

6 Likes

I’ll be on Hooker watch at KPark on Friday night. Can’t wait to see him fire up. I’ll be nervous if they play him in the ruck.

7 Likes

Found his position, it’s in the square, you kick it to him, and he manhandles who ever is on him and makes goal.

he doesn’t need to have elite aim if he’s clunking them in the square or throwing his man aside like garbage and kicking them

Joe actually kicks them better from 65 out anyway, and we have a plethora of options in the 10 metre to 50 metre range.

Like the idea of stay at full forward Hooker, it also means that late in the game when you have to defend a lead you can throw him back and he basically stops the oppositions scoring dead cold.

Looked a pace quicker and fresher tonight in the last when he went back, did some epic good things too.

6 Likes

Agreed. The opposition were scared of him and he drew the extra man all night.

Great first game back. Love his passion and strength in the contest. He does really well to keep his feet and hold his ground.

Our talls and smalls are looking the goods.

4 Likes

You could play him on the pine the whole game and this guy would still find a way to play well.

He is just a natural competitor.

He wasn’t clunking them that well tonight but my friend and I noticed early on that he was just getting to the slight wrong position in the contest but he adjusted and fixed this as the game wore on and it really allowed for our smalls to get involved.

Should kick 50 this season.

1 Like

If this is how he plays off a ■■■■■■ preparation. He’s gonna have a massive impact this year.

3 Likes