#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

Would have 80% of his goals this year from within 10m of goal.

He’s not much chop outside of that.

4 Likes

Guy needs to learn how to lead, and not just stand there trying to clunk marks.

I did laugh at the 50 he should have given away in the first. Guy took the mark and he just slapped the ball away a good 4 seconds after the mark.

1 Like

Yep. Clunked a few in the square and has got a few cheapies over the top but offers nothing at chf or leading. Won’t say disaster but really just a waste of AA talent.

4 Likes

He was physically shot today in the last quarter. The effort was there, but his legs looked very heavy. No doubt the short break took a toll on him. I’d persevere with him as a forward as I reckon he is close to a breakout game.

Busts a gut but can’t help but think we could get more from him in defence and have Stewart and Francis up front? But then what do you do with Hartley?

1 Like

Leave Hartley with Brown in the VFLm until one or the other is required.

I said in the selection thread before the game that we should have gone with Stewart and played Hooker back. I still think that was the best option.

5 Likes

In the second half of '15 when he played as a forward he was playing a lot differently. He was working up the ground really well and hitting up at the footy and looked really athletic.

I reckon just the combination of missing a year as well as missing the last 3 months of training in the pre-season has translated into him struggling to run on top of the ground. They are playing him deeper to compensate for this but he just doesn’t look sharp atm.

2 Likes
  • BACK
  • FORWARD

0 voters

Fwd he is about as good as Chris Dawes
Back he is clunk city Cale ■■■■■■■ Hooker.

Play him back.

4 Likes

AA Backman. Period.

Reminds me of the Hurley forward fantasy.

2 Likes

Now with Stewart around its becoming stubborn to keep him forward.

I was a big fan of sending him forward, but it’s not working.

Stewart in, hooker back and have Hurley as the third tall.

3 Likes

We have an actual forward in Stewart floundering in the 2s.

Essington.

6 Likes

It’s the only reason it should be considered, . to try & get Stewart in the team while he’s showing form & intensity, … only becaus there seems no other way to bring him in, … but I don’t think it will, not until they’ve worked on it in games for another 6 or so at least.

They won’t throw in this towel easily,… not until it’s thread bare and crystal clear it’s not working.

Come on.
Where’s all the positivity gone.
He’ll be clunking marks till the early morning.
50 goal year coming up.

IMO…
He’s struggling to keep up with the required work rate.
Given that Joe D has to pinch hit in the ruck (it was probably about a quarter of the game today) I don’t think we can afford to leave the forward line work to Stewart and the small fleet.
If Stewart can take some ruck time, then it maywork a little better.

The midfield (when they actually do have the ball) need someone they trust to kick to. Stewart needs to prove himself before he can be relied upon to be playing tall forward.

1 Like

Love Hooksey, easily one of my favorite players but his career is being destroyed with this forward play nonsense, the bloke is not a forward, he cannot lead as he has no speed, plays from behind, cannot jump and he is just not clunking them.
His biggest asset as a defender was his body work and reading the play and interception, he cannot use (or isnt) this in the forward line.
Stewart is the future based on us picking him, get him in with plans to build a forward line for the next 5 years

1 Like

9 goals from 5 games without much form.
Once he starts clunking marks he’ll be of more value forward.

1 Like

If he continues at this rate over a full season, he will kick 40 goals. And I reckon he will improve as he learns more about the role.

Stewart is not going to worry too many AFL key defenders. He just isn’t much good at marking the ball overhead, which is bread and butter stuff for a forward target. I agree that he is quite mobile for his size, but we would be giving up a fair bit in the forward line if he was to take Hooker’s spot. Also, we are well off for key defenders with Hurley, Ambrose, Browne and Harley all more capable at playing key defensive roles than Stewart is at playing key forward.

11 Likes

This.

Having said that, Stewart needs to be given the opportunity to show what he can do at AFL level.

2 Likes

Neither is Cale, Stewart will straighten us up at least