#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

wut?

4 Likes

Hartley is a VFL player.

Ambrose is marginal.

Kelly is about to retire.

Hurley is itā€¦

Could become a good forward but right now we need him back. Sure he will kick two or 3 a game but he would save 6 or 7 a game playing back

1 Like

wut

2 Likes

Compared to the AA full back playing forward.

He was good today apart from the easy misses. Heā€™s starting to get a real presence about him

6 Likes

and apparently we have Lockett in the twos waiting to replace himā€¦

2 Likes

Kicks a goal in the first minute, zero score after thatā€¦ and did an alright job. Joe can do whatever he likes now, Hooker stabilised the backline when he had to, he told Geelong to get nicked when they pointlessly kneed a prone TIPPA in the first.

4 Likes

Still adds a lot of value as the contested monster in the fwdline and in that sense, commands the attention of a top line defender. Pleasing that if Stewart can continue to step up, he can be moved back if needed but fwd should be where he starts

1 Like

Absolutely love him forward

1 Like

He seemed way more upset about that than anyone elseā€¦

I love it 15 minutes up forward and the plays the last 5 back in red time to prevent stupid late quarter goals. This is a role I can get used to if we can have the other key defenders play well.

Heā€™s proving me wrong with his forward ability and that is okay

1 Like

Showed a lot of leadership. Only one to fly the flag for the hit on tippa, very vocal in organising the defence when he went down back.

2 Likes

There really wasnā€™t much in that hit to Tippa to be fair.

Definitely working with the 75% forward / 25% back thing. I just wonder if Francis will be the thing that changes things if and when he comes on properly. Hooker back with Hurls is an upgrade on Hartley, Brown and probably Ambrose (aside from his running the aerobic forwards ragged, role).

1 Like

Iā€™d expect this to happen eventually but Francis still a mile off being ready. In a year or two perhaps.

2 Likes

He and also my mum who went crazy as it was right in front of us and Walla is her absolute favourite.

I agree if he went back heā€™d save more goals than heā€™d kick.

But by going back, suddenly the strength of the opposition backs improves and Joe.D and our other tall might not get as much leverage.

i really think the 3 talls structure looked great last night

2 Likes

Really like his workrate. Wherever it is.
There was a minute there in the middle of the 4th qtr where Hooker fought tough against several players on the wing until help arrived. His 2nd a 3rd efforts are great. Great asset for the club

1 Like

I just posted this in the Stewart thread but maybe the discussion is hereā€¦

I like what Stewart brings, but heā€™ll need to develop IMHO.

Cale may not look a natural forward but he competes 100% of the time and is such a beast, he will always be a threat up forward. He hasnā€™t come close to hitting form at all this year, yet has 14 after 8 rounds and is on target for 40 goals. Put simply, Cale will never go missing for us, he will present time and time again and always be a threat. I also think he provides amazing support for Joey both being a physical presence and wise head up forward. Plus, heā€™s an elite backman.

Stewart has the potential to be great but heā€™s behind Cale IMV.

How this works with our abundance of talls will be fascinating. Iā€™m not interested in rotating talls at all.

I think Brown will suffer ultimately, but Hurls, Hartley and Ambrose all have rights to command a spot down back.

Daniher, Cale (who is possibly our best back but has sacrificed himself for the team (unlike Jake who sooked)) and Stewart are the same up forward.

Then thereā€™s Francis who is the X Factor who needs to be developed and not left lanquishing in the 2s all year.

Plus Belly, who is more than capable of kicking 1 or 2 on any given day resting up forward.

How it all works Iā€™m not sureā€¦ Cale, Hurls, Joe are the locks at the moment. I think Ambrose is our best stopper down back when fit. After that, Iā€™m undecided.