#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

Hooker was a midfielder in his junior years and then developed as a backman once he started with us. Lloyd was apparently the driving force of him moving forward according to Hooker, due to Joe needing the support while he was learning the ropes,and spent a lot of time teaching him goal kicking techniques. So he isn’t a natural forward but he has the skills (kicking wise) but probably struggles with the mental approach to it that you develop as a youngster learning the craft. The weekend was just a bad game though and it might be partly due to a corky and feeling the effects of it.

I personally believe that if Francis was ready Hooker would most likely be moved back again but also think they should stick with him there at this time as we don’t really have a viable option presently.

2 Likes

} Hartley forward
} Spoil everything
} Tippa, Green, Orazio also forward
} ???
} PROFIT!!!

(@barnz I forgot how to do the > help me )

2 Likes

\ first

Is he fit yet?

In his first year he was playing up forward along side Gumbleton in the VFL.

He got moved to defence because (believe it or not) we thought we had too many key forward options.

Ie: Lloyd, Neagle, Gumbleton, Johns

6 Likes

100% correct this post and others should read it

Check out @RalphyHeraldSun’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/RalphyHeraldSun/status/869049480019980288?s=09

2 Likes

10 Likes

I’m not one to whack the coach, because he’s been upfront about challenging the players in sorting issues on the field themselves.

BUT…If you’re going to have a crack at Hooker, then you need to have a crack at Worsfold. Hooker had a shocker. He couldn’t get any clean hands, he couldnt hold the pill, he was under a lot of pressure (and perceived pressure) from opposition defenders. Worsfold didn’t help the situation. He didnt do anything to get one of his leaders into the game, even for a couple of minutes.

We were under the pump for the whole 3rd quarter. Do something… get him to float back and sit in the hot spot for 5 minutes. Give him a couple of hit outs in the ruck. Do something to try and get Hooker into the game.

I know coaches are concerned with throwing g structures out the window. But what is the point of structures if no one is going to stand up and take the game by the scruff of the neck. It was there for the taking, and no one took it.

3 Likes

Looks like that Jumpers starting to pay off

7 Likes

Would need to be a turnaround of biblical proportions to see Franga commanding a spot in the seniors on a regular basis next year.

We’d all love to see it, but Im not sure too many would be pencilling him in for a spot based on what we’ve seen so far.

No surprise that Hooker is outplayed by an AA Defender - My only surprise was the failure to play JD deeper and try to make Rance play on him.

We did in Q4 - and it actually worked in that players up the ground had chances to kick goals or give it to someone in space as Rance was fully occupied with Daniher deep, close to goals. But our players all completely fluffed it and blew a golden chance to pinch a win:

• Fantasia on 50 in space directly in space (horrible low kick that didn’t even make the distance)
  • Zaharakis out of bounds with two free players forward of him in an open forward line
  • Tippa missing from the goal square
  • Stewart with a free on a tight angle shortly after (green kicked an identical goal I think on Anzac Day) when the score were level. A behind would have put us in front and I honestly think the psychology of the game would have changed. Instead of shooting at goal goes for a dicey short pass to Parish marked closely by 2 Tiger defenders. The ball was swept away.

Keep Rance occupied deep and the whole F50 is yours to play as the rest of their defenders are very average and easily exploited.

9 Likes

Our forward line setup was fine. We score more / as much as any other club per inside 50.
Hooker doesn’t need to change our MIDS do

1 Like

Great post

1 Like

Hartley isnt a bad mark either.

Oh man was I ever frustrated at that pass. There was nothing to lose from having a shot. A behind could’ve almost been beneficial if we had managed to keep the ball down our end and make it a two goal margin.

4 Likes

You and me both - he just had to shoot and score and suddenly a murmur goes around the ground as the scoreboard shows in front and the doubts in the minds of the Tigers would have grown.

4 Likes

At least Joey would’ve had a shot. People might bag his kicking, but Joey doesn’t ever shirk the responsibility of being a key forward.

9 Likes

I’d love to have him in defense, but as a team thing we need to leave him forward.
4th in contested marks
16 goals for the season
frees up Joedan

All for having the least amount of inside 50’s in the league (or one of the lowest).

2 Likes