#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

No - it was having McKernan and Stewart go back too.

Both should have stayed forward with Fantasia and made it a 3-4 contest when Zerrett’s kick came out of the centre.

2 Likes

Forwards have good days and bad days.

One thing Woosha ( or Cale himself) did against Collingwood was send Hooksy down back at the end of the quarter.
This was something which really really annoyed me about North Melbourne over the years, its the way they would get 2 kicks ahead and send Petrie down back at the end of the game to intercept mark till the early morning…

Hooker can do this role and as someone else mentioned earlier, could be the player to steady the ship, when other sides get a run on and start playing direct, but risky footy.

2 Likes

He should be playing down there full time and Hartley should be dropped, plain and simple.

He is being wasted forward IMO because he is never going to reach the heights that he has previously down back, by playing forward. He doesn’t get to have the impact on games that he should be having and I don’t think his “best role” is to live in Joe’s shadow and have his soul purpose be to take attention away from him. He is far too talented of a footballer for that role.

We have Stuart and Belly down there now, send him back.

1 Like

That’s an outdated view. Yes Hooker would play better down back but no way Joe has the year he’s had with Hooker down back. Plus it helps us more by having Hooker up front because when Joe goes into the ruck we still have 2 targets so our remaining key forward is not being double teamed.
And both Hurley and Hooker are better up the field so i’d argue that having either Hooker or Hurley at FB is being wasted.

7 Likes

If hooker goes back then you have Hooker,Hurley and Ambrose as the 3 KPD.

Means you probably have to trade Hartley and Brown.

Also where do Francis and Ridley get opportunities?

This is exactly his role.

Play as a key forward for most of the game but when we have a momentum loss and conceded a run of goals or even just want to hold up scores at end of quarters he is the perfect man to drift across half back.

We used to use Scotty Lucas in this role too.

1 Like

When he goes back at the end of a quarter he looks magnificent.

4 Likes

Yes, he re-adjusts the man bun as he is running down to defense

3 Likes

Countless times I’ve been saying Cale should be playing Forward, the team need’s him there and we are better for it, but, I just can’t shake the feeling that he’s not a forward. A previous poster mentioned Hooker, Ambrose and Hurley as your 3 defensive tall’s, that to me is the making of one of the better defences in the game.

Apparently defence wins you flags…

Hooker WILL NOT play in the Backline permanently until Francis is ready to contribute consistently as a KP forward in seniors.
It is at least 12 months away, and probably more.

Unless we are decimated by injuries to all our tall backs, it simply won’t happen.
Joe requires aerial support, and Stewart is not the player that provides it.
He’s a tall flanker.

Hooksey is on target to kick 40goals.
Raz may get 50, and Joe 60.
Let’s not F*CK with the forwardline.
It’s working !

8 Likes

Has been off his tucker a bit since the finger thing.

3rd game back post that this week,… so hopefully 3rd times a charm, really need him back to his pre finger form on Friday.

3 Likes

Pretty sure Woosha has stated in the past that Hooker has licence to do this himself and it’s not a coaching directive?

Is it just me or does his running gait seem to get worse every week? Really pronounced tonight. Is he carrying an injury?

I must admit that i am absolutely relieved that you have nothing to do with coaching football. You have been wrong on basically everything you have said this year.

4 Likes

Not sure about any injuries affecting his his gait, dobbed one tonight from outside 50 no problem suggesting he’s fairly free in his action.

Ummmm.

Right…

The Ultimate Team Player. Great game Cale.

3 Likes

And what a goal that was!

loving his confidence to fend off tackles and have a bounce. what a best.

Still marking and at least bringing the ball to ground in a contest. Only the one last night but I thought our small forwards were a bit off last night, they could have had at least another 3 from his work if they were on.