#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

No, it isn’t a measured response.
Far from it.

I have circled all the points I believe to be unfair.

You will say I am wrong because he played on from 30cm out, which was an awful brain fade, but he has been a better forward than Hurley, Carlisle, and even Crammers ever were.

His kicking was never good as a defender, so we were always going to have to put up with this deficiency in his goal kicking.
I know he’s an AA level backman, but he will likely finish on 40+ goals from 21 games, whilst Raz kicks 50, and Joey 60+

I was perhaps too harsh on the Poster I quoted, but there was too much in there that made me angry, and I couldn’t let it slide.

8 Likes

All the points you circled were accurate

His marking up forward isnt that good. Around the ground yes, up forward he drops a lot and fumbles a lot of chances.

Misses a lot of Chances

Doesnt intimidate opr throw his weight around

Cant kick set shots consistently

1 Like

Disagree…

He’s had a few games where his hands have let him down, but he is clearly one of the best Contested Marks in the game.

He is working on a routine that will make him a more reliable set shot for goal.
Last week it worked in the last qtr, this week not.
He needs to work on it.

You guys are underestimating how much physical work he does.

I love reading your work and WOB’s on Blitz, but you are both emotional Posters.
There is nothing “measured” about that earlier post from ‘bombercos’, and the last point was disrespectful to a loyal club servant.

11 Likes

All Cale’s issues are between his ears…100% can play forward but is lacking confidence in his own ability to kick the ball. His run in for set shots is not looking good and isn’t working so he needs to relax and change it up. We are a better team with him up front and I think with a few adjustments he will kick more goals

2 Likes

Agree to disgree. I think his contested marking up the ground and in defense is top notch, but for some reason he struggles up forward taking marks- seems to double grab at a lot of them.

I dont know if he tenses up when up forward, but its something i have noticed a lot of.

Physical work i agree with you. He rarely gets outmarked and is normally able to brind the ball to ground. I just wish he would use his size more and throw his weight around, when the ball hits the deck.

1 Like

I hope there is enough room in the EFC budget for somebody to digitally add stink lines to Cale’s review tape this week.

6 Likes

He is also a shadow of his former self.

Cale is excellent up forward and excellent down back - here lies the dilemma! Daniher is thriving in large part to Hooker being up front. If he could kick straight it would be even better. How much better would our defense be with Hooker at full back? Undoubtedly better. Too late now perhaps to change things but would love to see Hartley up forward. He may be be able to do Hooker’s job just as well and Hooker could do Hartley’s job so much better. Would hate to see Hooket spend two years up forward only to head back a la Hurley

1 Like

Thread title needs a change - not sure thank you is appropriate for this week at least.

1 Like

“Thanks For Nuthin’”

2 Likes

The thought of Joe and Hartley goaling from 60, Stewart 50m pin point passing to RAZ running into goals and that defense set up made me feel something. Down South. In my pantaloons.

Hooker has two very important redeeming features; he has a red hot go, and bleeds red and black He cannot be marked down in those areas.
But this is the AFL not a secondary league, and we are aspiring to be a finals team (and hopefully more next year).
My humble opinion is that his negatives are way many more than his positives, and I don’t think he is likely to improve much so whilst he has some currency, I would move him on.

Goose I am but also a bomber supporter and member.

He’s won us more games than he’s lost us this year.

8 Likes

I had the same thought as I was watching him yesterday. Just kick it over the fence - there’s no need to do any more than kick it to a spot behind the goals.

Not sure about that.

1 Like

that’s debatable

1 Like

No, it’s not really, if you know what he truly does for the structure.

He doesn’t have to be kicking them himself. How many has he brought to ground for crumbing by our smalls. How do you think JD gets free to do his thing?

4 Likes

It’s all well and good being good for the team structure (which he is without a doubt, no argument from me) but when his goal kicking is killing the teams momentum questions need to be asked if it’s all worth it.

I’m happy to have him play forward for the rest of the year, and then re-assess at the end of the season.

1 Like

Probably 50/50

Was a big reason we lost both the Richmond game and yesterday, yet basically farked Port and North off his own boot.

Some other excellent games like Round 1 and Anzac Day, although a few seriously average ones like Adelaide come to mind too.

1 Like