#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

I’m still confused on the logic of why we would trade him.

2 Likes

Because he is an All Australian key defender more than 2 years ago and is struggling up forward given he has only kicked 33 goals. Also don’t forget Hawthorn traded 2 Premiership stars after they won 4 flags and brought in Vickery.

Clear as mud?

2 Likes

Because he sux and we could get a lot for him.

1 Like

Can’t stand Hawthorn but they have the courage to trade to get what they need.
That’s a major reason why they’ve won 4 flags in 10 years.
That’s why they have the leagues leading possession player Mitchell playing in poo and pee colours when last year he played for the Swans He leads everyone by over 60 possessions!
I am saying Hooker is not imune to trade if we intend to keep him as a forward.
Vickery was mentioned because Richmond is now a contender of sorts having traded him away. And hawthorn clearly erred in recruiting him. But their track record re trading is second to no other club in the land.

You just choose to ignore how many times we get the ball inside 50. We rank 12th for inside 50s and that is also ignoring how many times he is targeted given Daniher is clearly the number 1 banana.

Also there must be plenty of forwards with no nous in the AFL given Hooker has kicked the 19th most goals after 18 games, yet has no nous.

This bit is just plain contradictory. Vickery out makes Richmond a better team yet Hawthorn win all their trades. Jaegar’s knee is fine as well I suppose.

Hawthorn threw out 2 legends and a heap of picks to get 3 players, one of which is a success. Maybe they drank their bath water a little too much.

As for trading Hooker, why would you do it. Our forward starts working after years and you want to throw it away. Are you Ross Lyon?

1 Like

All the more reason he needs to do better when opportunities he butchers present themselves.
Like getting beaten 3 times one on one
Like kicking into an opponent from the goal square
Like missing 2 really simple shots when we had a chance to gain momentum

What taking the 4th most contested marks in the comp is just not enough. Maybe Geelong will want him. His score involvements are in line with Tom Hawkins on a per game basis. This is a guy who has played his career as a key forward - Hooker has played 20 games forward.

But no lets pick a few mistakes out and blame one loss on him and trade him out.

Power forward tally:

Essendon: 2
WCE: 2
GWS: 2

North: 1
Sydney: 1
Geelong: 1
Adelaide: 1
Richmond: 1
GC: 1
Port: 1

Must be sad to be at the 8 other clubs.

2 Likes

Oh and he got beaten 3 times one on one. What about the 3 times he took contested marks.

Beat Adelaide over there, beat Sydney twice, drew with GWS, lost on last kick miss to Geelong, thrashed Freo over there and look ominous already for next year. Without Omeara, And might yet make the 8 this year. If they beat Richmond look out.
I hate them with a passion but the whole point is that you have to be ruthless and trade away to improve.
I might be wrong but keeping Hooker as a forward needs to be challenged, based on output.
As a loyal bleed for the club player he is up there with the best, but me thinks we will need more than that for silverware.

But you’re wrong his output is fine. You’re nit picking individual mistakes from one game because you’re emotional as we lost.

3 Likes

You should seriously quit while you’re behind @bombercos
At the moment, you are down 55 and kicking into a gale in the last qtr.

Trading out club greats and loyal servants is not a way to build positive club culture.
It didn’t help us in the 80’s with Carey and Bradbury to bring in Richardson and Raines, and Sheedy has expressed this regret many times since.

Hawthorn should have kept Lewis, and it may be the difference between playing Finals this year or not for them.
A win against the Cats a few week ago would have them above the ladder than us.

Whilst I understand that Geelong had to turn over some of their aging stars progressively.
It’s more than fair to suggest that retiring Kelly prematurely was a blunder.
They’ll go into a Final with some spud like Ruggles or Bews, when it could be Kelly playing instead.
That’s a big upgrade in my opinion.

Point is, you don’t trade away guys like Hooker.
IDGAF about seeing sooks like Ryder and Carlisle in other teams colours, but it would kill me to see Hookesy in a WC guernsey, or any other one.

I can’t believe we are having this discussion about a 40+ goal a year forward, who is still learning the craft, is sitting equal 3rd in average Contested Marks, and will likely improve on all these markers next year if he remains forward.

3 Likes

A trade only works if the player being offered wants to go. Hooker didn’t want to go last time we tried to trade him.

And if we keep him as a forward then he won’t be traded.

If you look at this list, Hooker is having a fantastic season as a 2nd tall forward.

The fact we have three forwards so high in that list is sensational. Can’t remember how long ago it has been to have so potent a F50. Add Green into the mix and it gets better.

BTW his efficiency level is higher than Joe’s and massively better than Buddy’s.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_goal_kickers

3 Likes

I love Cale.

Can clunk like there’s no tomorrow.

Averaging nearly 2 goals per game, while averaging nearly 2 terrible misses per game.

On POXTEL i note that when he misses his close in shots he bends his kicking knee while trying to roost the ball 90 m while being 20 m out. I think its this technique that needs to be fixed. He would be best advised to kick with a straight leg I feel, just putting it through to 40 m back will do the trick.

Once he irons this technique out he will be a far better player.

He is also one of the reasons JOEDAN and Fanta have been able to kick a few.

4 Likes

Edit: I’m a useless prick who doesn’t read posts properly before jumping to conclusions.

Anyway - here’s a table of how great Cale Hooker is at contested marks.

:zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

Um, we were both talking about Hartley?

1 Like

I’d take Hookers game on Sunday over anything vickery produces. ■■■■■■■ hell.

6 Likes