#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

Would not mind at all if he started snapping a few more of his shots within 25, even if straight in front. Seems to snap very truly.

3 Likes

I can understand the frustration but Hooker is playing his first full year as a forward and his role is critical to a balanced forward line. This place is ridiculous. He will have poor games and he shouldnā€™t miss easy shots. Its frustrating but talk about throwing out the baby with the bathwater! Everyone wanted Green dropped because he wasnā€™t kicking goals etc. He was getting sledged for being in the team because of his GPS numbers. He misses two weeks and now everyone canā€™t wait to have him back because he balances our forward line. He probably does but so many people are so fickle here.

Personally I think the week may have got to him a bit with all the attention re the North game and perhaps a little bit of karma for ruffling the hair of a 3rd gamer. That said I think Hooker has been completely selfless and under the circumstances of playing as forward for the first time for a full year has done well.

5 Likes

I agree, but this has all been well covered in the thread.

I reckon heā€™s got the capabilities to stink it up massively like last week, but I also reckon heā€™s got a bag of 8 in him one day too

1 Like

Yep, and the awesome thing about Hooksy is that heā€™s not gonna sulk when he stinks it up. Heā€™s always going to be giving everything heā€™s got.

3 Likes

Nah, he can boost those score assist stats and help Joe kick 15.1 against Fark Carlton. Prime chance for Joe to sew up the Coleman.

1 Like

Told my 13 year old Marty Gleeson loving daughter about the Robert Walls karma bus comments.

She said ā€œwhoā€™s Robert Walls?ā€

I love that kid

10 Likes

We can only hope he goes full JoeDan-after-melbourne-game and this propels him into shaping up his shots at goal and starts to nail all the shots youā€™d want from a great Hooker.

1 Like

I re-watched the Sydney game the other day. Gees we missed Hooksy in that one. Smack wasnā€™t even sighted in that game intill the 2nd half. It really messed with our whole fwd structure. Grundy was probably bog with his intercept marks in the fwd line. If Hooksy was playing Grundy would not have taken near as many marks, the ball would at least have hit the ground.

There is no excuse for missing those shots on goal, same thing with Joe against Melbourne. But if he can get his kicking to a respectable level he will be up there with the best fwds in the comp.

2 Likes

I like how grown men think there is a karma bus

2 Likes

There is a lot of talk about Hooker not producing, should be played back etc.
One thing for sure is the fact that he made many mistakes against the dogs and in particular one that is unforgivable. In a losing side these mistakes all come to the fore and hence the criticism comes out in spades against any player that did not help to take the side over the line or worse that did not produce the goods to win for the team. This in my opinion is all fair game. He and Joe made some unbelievable errors against the dogs that had they not happened may just have won us the game. But it stops there. I donā€™t believe Hooker is not in our best 22 nor do I believe he should be played in the backline. I prefer to leave these decisions up to the coaches who know better.
Another point is that he is the 19th highest goal kicker at the moment. I would rather he be the 40th highest goal kicker but that he kicks the goals when they count like the 5 against Norf which practically won us the game. But letā€™s not get carried away with amount of goals kicked as to the importance of when they were kicked. To take things to extreme if a player kicks 100 goals in one game then 0 for the rest of the season he is not much use really as he has only helped win one game. We need players that stand up when it farken counts and not miss from 20 metres out especially when the game is in the balance let alone 20cm. Like I said criticism is fair game but letā€™s not crucify our players and let the coaches make the right decision when the time comes.

Maybe just my worthless opinion but I wonder whether he has just lost a bit of focus since switching forward.

Down back he had to be super focussed to stop the other team scoring, I have heard him say in a few interviews that he is preferring forward now as he likes kicking a goal etc.

Just think due to the fact that not being 100% focussed at all times up forward isnā€™t as instantly costly to the team as it is down back has made him a little too relaxed.

I think this is backed up by the recent ā€œsillyā€ behaviour, donā€™t think I ever seen him mess around down back.

When Iā€™m literally touching cloth, running to the toilet I look a little like Cale Hooker running towards goal for his set shot

1 Like

Good old goldfish Blitz.
4th in the league for contested marks and 12th for marks inside 50. Will kick close to 40 this year.
And it took him a good 5-6 weeks to find any touch at all after the year off.
Far far far more positives than negatives. Would not surprise me at all if he kicked 55-60 next year.

Ooh, I havenā€™t seen that piece of grass before.

5 Likes

8.5 in the last month v 6.3 in the first

27 marks v 18

I hope he gives a better account of himself against Carlton than he did the first time around. Reckon it was his worst, most insipid game of the year and spent the whole game playing for frees.

I reckon heā€™ll kick 4+ today.

1 Like

I hope he kicks 9 and drives the so-called karma bus right over Robert Walls.

4 Likes

Is anyone else worried he is signed until the end of 2021?

1 Like

http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/index.php?id=347