#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

Taking Stringer wasn’t a problem.

I think as far as intercept marking defender, you are missing Gleeson. He was very good at that last year and we are missing him this year due to injury. Our backline looks much better balanced with him there.

You have Gleeson there I reckon you find Saad is more free to create run off the backline as well as also intercepting more which he does quite well.

1 Like

That’s a decent point, that we need to “break” the working system to fit Stringer in, so that we may as well send Hooker back as part of that breaking. It is certainly true that Stringer doesn’t work at all well on his defensive side, so we’ve added a small who (to date) is adding limited damage and is weakening the defensive pressure. We’ve also not had Colyer, who for all his faults had speed and does work very hard.

I’m not sure if moving Hooker back is the best response to bringing Stringer in, but I can see the argument

One word:

ZERK

Forgive me I haven’t read through this thread but pretty sure the discussion is Hooker to play back??
So if I have this correct, most clubs are opting to play small/defensive forward line, however we are want a backline of Hooker, Hurley, Brown, Hartley, Baguley or Ambrose on any given game?

Gee wiz opposition forwards must be trembling with fear of our pacey backline.

Horses for courses.

True but I think in the instance of Port, who have a tall forward line, having a tall backline is probably okay.

1 Like

If you’re gonna have stupid opinions read the thread.

2 Likes

You did write ‘or’, didn’t you?
You pressed the buttons yourself, right?

That’s why we kept Myers in the team.

Welcome BACK!

Well who would have thunk it?!

2 Likes

Welcome back to the back

Such a fantastic player.

like riding a bike

Please just keep him there.

So farking valuable back there.

2 Likes

Only early days but we look so much more balanced across the whole park with hooker back.

His reading of the play is second to none

2 Likes

/thread

Well what do ya ■■■■■■■ know.

1 Like

Was good. But don’t get blinded by the result, Watts kicked 3 on him and at times made Cale look very very slow.

For this season his best spot is definitely back, especially with Stewart and Stringer up forward supporting Joe.

I’m nervous seeing Cale running around in 2020 and 2021 however…

I felt like the only reason Watts kicked 3 was because we turned the ball over in a poor position and our defence was caught out.
It’s not like he was beaten one on one.

3 Likes

To say Hooker was on Watts the whole time would be false.

Hooker ran around without an opponent for most the second half.

It was actually Hurley who let Watts get away a few times.

7 Likes