#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker

/thread

Well what do ya ■■■■■■■ know.

Was good. But don’t get blinded by the result, Watts kicked 3 on him and at times made Cale look very very slow.

For this season his best spot is definitely back, especially with Stewart and Stringer up forward supporting Joe.

I’m nervous seeing Cale running around in 2020 and 2021 however…

I felt like the only reason Watts kicked 3 was because we turned the ball over in a poor position and our defence was caught out.
It’s not like he was beaten one on one.

To say Hooker was on Watts the whole time would be false.

Hooker ran around without an opponent for most the second half.

It was actually Hurley who let Watts get away a few times.

Multiple times Port had to kick the ball into the pockets because Hooker was patrolling the dangerous spot in front of goal.

Some things show up as a stat and some things don’t.

Welcome home Hooksy!

Hooker’s work at ground level was the most promising aspect of his game.

Also Watts got one of those goals from the downfield free.

Impressive effort from Cale today.

Too good back, leave him there now. Creates more space and pressure up forward with a more mobile setup.

/experiment

Hooker makes it look like he’s playing against kids so often what a man beast

Ahhh much better.

He’s proven he can play forward which is great credit to him, he’s done what many players fail to do - but it’s in the backline where he belongs

What is reality. Donningtons account rn…

To be clear, whilst i linked the change in effectiveness of our forward structure with stringer, I wasn’t for a second saying we shouldn’t have got him.
When he became available, I wanted the club to spend whatever to get him. I’m just saying we shouldn’t pretend he doesn’t change our structure, he does, and we need to work out the best fit with stringer in it.
I also think we should persist making him a midfielder, but that won’t be until closer to 2020 and he’s predominantly forward until then.

Concur.
I don’t mind him at stoppages occasionally.
He can be a pure midfielder when he turns 25.

He’s too good an intercept mark, field kick, and bullocker (not entirely sure that’s even a word), to have in the forward line where he’s only going to get half the touches, such is the modern game.

Thought was great today, I think Hurley stands a lot taller with him there. Love him forward as well but we needed the change and stringer certainly benefitted.

We look a lot better team with Cale down back and stringer up forward. A great game.

We need 2 of him. Best contested mark in the league at both ends