#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

Multiple times Port had to kick the ball into the pockets because Hooker was patrolling the dangerous spot in front of goal.

Some things show up as a stat and some things don’t.

Welcome home Hooksy!

6 Likes

Hooker’s work at ground level was the most promising aspect of his game.

Also Watts got one of those goals from the downfield free.

1 Like

Impressive effort from Cale today.

Too good back, leave him there now. Creates more space and pressure up forward with a more mobile setup.

/experiment

1 Like

Hooker makes it look like he’s playing against kids so often what a man beast

1 Like

Ahhh much better.

He’s proven he can play forward which is great credit to him, he’s done what many players fail to do - but it’s in the backline where he belongs

What is reality. Donningtons account rn…

To be clear, whilst i linked the change in effectiveness of our forward structure with stringer, I wasn’t for a second saying we shouldn’t have got him.
When he became available, I wanted the club to spend whatever to get him. I’m just saying we shouldn’t pretend he doesn’t change our structure, he does, and we need to work out the best fit with stringer in it.
I also think we should persist making him a midfielder, but that won’t be until closer to 2020 and he’s predominantly forward until then.

2 Likes

Concur.
I don’t mind him at stoppages occasionally.
He can be a pure midfielder when he turns 25.

1 Like

He’s too good an intercept mark, field kick, and bullocker (not entirely sure that’s even a word), to have in the forward line where he’s only going to get half the touches, such is the modern game.

Thought was great today, I think Hurley stands a lot taller with him there. Love him forward as well but we needed the change and stringer certainly benefitted.

6 Likes

We look a lot better team with Cale down back and stringer up forward. A great game.

2 Likes

We need 2 of him. Best contested mark in the league at both ends

1 Like

Thrilled he’s in the backline again.
Add Gleeson.
Add Ranga.
Clunk-o-rama.

Goes where he’s asked to and gives 100%.

Full stop.

13 Likes

He went forward to help our sputtering forward line in 2015 after AA selection as a backman, now goes back to help out our structures at both ends of the ground. Ultimate team man. There is absolutely no reason why he can’t help us win games this year at either end of the ground, and furthermore no reason why it can’t happen within a game.

14 Likes

In the very first play of the day, Hooker fed out the first handball off half back, which led to the chain of handballs and Zaka’s kick to Stewart for the first goal. He made Watts look ordinary. Also, as others have pointed out Watts got one of his goals from a free down field. Hooker was superb and was a general in defence.

That opening quote from Woosha gets me every time :joy::joy:

Hooker’s defensive return
Ben Collins, AFL Media April 15, 2018 6:17 PM

Redeploying swing man Cale Hooker to defence has “a lot of potential” for Essendon, coach John Worsfold says.

Hooker’s move to the backline to help counter Port Adelaide’s tall attack proved important structurally for the rebounding Bombers in their 22-point win over the previously undefeated Power at Etihad Stadium on Sunday night.

Not only did Hooker have 23 possessions and take eight marks but enabled the Bombers to use a nimbler forward line headlined by Jake Stringer’s four goals and James Stewart’s three.

“It’s got a lot of potential to do a lot of things,” Worsfold said of Hooker-in-defence model.

“Hooker can play back for periods, he can swing and go forward at times, as can ‘Hurls’ (Michael Hurley). But it’s early days

“This is the first time we’ve seen an Essendon team with Hooker in the backline and Jake Stringer and James Stewart up forward alongside Joey (Daniher).

“It worked pretty well and it’s got a lot of potential for us.”

Worsfold said he would continue to take a “suck and see” approach to the configuration of the Dons bookends.

“We’re learning about this group, the abilities of it and where it’s going to fit and how it’s best going to function,” he said.

“There’s a few things happening that we’ll keep exploring … We’ll keep measuring what’s our best line-up to become a great team.”

A week after producing a performance against the Western Bulldogs that was as poor a performance as Worsfold had seen from his players in his time as coach – a period including the 2016 season when the club was decimated by a raft of suspensions over the supplements saga – he was pleased with his team’s response.

“Last week we talked about the fact it was disappointing (and) our aim was to understand what we expect from each other, and show it,” he said.

“We can’t go back to last week and worry about why it didn’t happen, but we learnt a lot from (today) …

“It was, ‘Let’s get clear on how we want to play together and let’s bring that.’ So it was a pretty positive week within the club. There was a good feel.

“We can sulk, we can feel the pressure, or we can just look forward to playing the way we want to play …

“We showed that we learn. We responded well to playing below our best last week and we were back a lot closer to our best today.”

Stringer’s best game for his new club drew praise from his coach.

“We feel as though he’s been playing his role reasonably well without dominating games, and we’ve been learning about what he brings to the group,” Worsfold said.

“Today he played his role really well and capitalised to hit the scoreboard, which was really great.”

Worsfold was also pleased with the efforts of young midfielder Zach Merrett, who had been out of sorts after copping a head knock in round one against Adelaide.

Perhaps the only blemish for the Dons was Stewart leaving the field late after appearing to hurt an ankle, however Worsfold was unsure about the extent of the issue.

Key defender Mitch Brown was a late withdrawal with a tight calf but could be available for the Anzac Day clash with Collingwood. Brown’s replacement, Michael Hartley, performed strongly.

Hooker could also come under scrutiny for making late, high contact with Port star Chad Wingard.

1 Like