#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

selling candy til the early morn

1 Like

He does not lack confidence, even shortly after getting burnt off.

His work at ground level contested situations, was incredible. Donā€™t argues, breaking tackles, smart little taps, sidesteps and shimmysā€¦

His aerial skills werenā€™t even needed.

2 Likes

Was great today, he is just a great player at either end. I donā€™t want to see him just stay there though. I hope the coaches use his flexibility and put him fwd at times. It changes the whole dynamic of the team structure, which would make us very hard to coach against.

We need to become a less predictable team, today was a step in the right direction in achieving this.

1 Like

when are carl and tim firing up their podcast again?

Havenā€™t seen the replay but is he in strife with his hit in Wingard?

Wasnā€™t a hit, it was an attempted smothered handball that dragged down onto his face.
Shouldnā€™t be an issue, but you never know with Tribunal chook lotto.

2 Likes

No chanceā€¦accidental contact

2 Likes

No.

Hooker backā€¦ we kick our highest score for the year.

Maybe the move improved both the backline and the forwardline?

2 Likes

heheheā€¦

1 Like

I really like Hooker forward. 41 goals from 21 games is a great return from a guy who is not a natural in that position. But you look at the goal-to-goal line when he returns to defence and itā€™s got to be top 4 in the AFL.

FB: Hurley
CHB: Hooker
C: Heppell
CHF: Daniher
FF: Stringer

All 5 are All-Australian players. The defence looks far, far better with Cale being there, and you get the best of Stringer working deep forward. It had to happen, it did happen, and you have to say it has to remain so.

2 Likes

If Stewart keeps playing the way he is, we might have found another one.

Gilbert Gardiner thinkw hooker played on Dixon. These guys donā€™t even try to watch do they?

1 Like

Iā€™ll admit Iā€™m not convinced yet, since I thought Port were very poor and our midfield won, but he certainly did a lot of good stuff and Stewart/Stringer stepped up well.

Does Collingwood have any talls, or will we need to reconsider Hooker/Hurley/Hartley for them?

Hurley can play on a small/medium. Hartley on Reid, hooker on Cox :slight_smile:

2 Likes

nightmare for the opposition that any game game Hooker could line up fwd or back

such a huge presence

and dat fend off

Cox (giant) & Reid are their main talls up forward. Cox can be outsmarted easily, but not out marked easily. Reid is good all around. I think Iā€™d have Hartley on Cox - much lighter, but should be able to spoil enough, Hooker on Reid, and then weā€™re left with quite a number of mid-sized goal kickers to look after.

1 Like

He was great was Cale.

I think there will be times down back, depending on his matchup, that his lack of ability to cover the ground will hurt us. He is a farking monster and as such he can look like he has the old concrete boots on but the good will far outweigh the bad. His leadership, strength and intercept marking ability is crucial.

2 Likes

The coaching staff keep saying that we havenā€™t played together as a team, and we need to learn how to play together.

On the other hand, Hooker and Hurley have played 100 games together. The two of them were always going to be the future post-Fletcher. They complement each other perfectly.

Hartley plays the shut down role.
Hurley is the bull who attacks the football.
Hooker directs the defenders and takes intercept marks.

Itā€™s just common sense.

2 Likes