#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

It’s only going to work if the opposition plays two tall forwards though. Ambrose offers more flexibility than Hartley.

Not sure how we would line up against Richmond. Who takes Riewoldt? Too agile for Hooker and Hartley and Hurley prefers to zone off. Ditto Melbourne with Hogan.

Harltey ≈ astbury
Hurley > Grimes
Hooker ≥ Rance

This guy is a gun.
Will play both ends of the ground to help out the team. Never complains, and always gives 100%.
Still runs like he’s got something up his clacker though

1 Like

I don’t think so.
Hartley is like - no one from Richmond.
Hurley is closer to Rance than Grimes, but not really like him either
Hooker … no Richmond counterpart.

But I’m not sure why you compared defense with defense, anyway. Mistake?

It was a brain fart in relation to defensive structure.

Grimes and Hurley are comparable in so far as they both play as medium/tall defenders. Hurley obviously has an attacking side to his game that Grimes doesn’t.

Hooker is comparable to Rance insofar as both are supreme intercept marks. In one on ones their strengths are a little different.

Astbury was pretty much thought of as a dud lock down player until he wasn’t a dud anymore. I hoping Hartley can emulate that.

hahaha, ok fair enough :slight_smile:

At the moment, i’d much prefer Ambrose in for Hartley. Hooker takes the gorilla and Ambrose takes the non-gorilla with running power

1 Like

For me the biggest benefit of Hooker back is the turnovers he can create in the wings and around 50 which stops them getting deep. I think we will gain confidence with him back and press higher which had been our greatest weakness.
Good luck to Collingwood and there sloppy disposal getting through our defence next week.

1 Like

Nope.
Hooker is the spareman or plays on the least dangerous tall forward, so he can get off his opponent and take intercepting marks.

You don’t want someone of Hookers ability getting side tracked by his direct opponent.

Anyone that was at the game yesterday will have seen Hooker (who was the spareman) directing all the defenders where they need to go. He would then cover the opposition player that had gotten loose.

Why hooker and Hurley compliment each other (with Hooker as a spare man), when the ball is in the air. Hurley muscles his man in a marking contests, while Hooker jumps across and takes the mark.

When the ball is spilled to the ground, Hurley is like a bull. He wants to collect the ball or lay a tackle. While this is happening, Hooker then goes to Hurley’s man.

1 Like

Officially no.
Match reviewer didn’t raise it.

3 Likes

So good seeing him down back.

Any team that regards a spare man as integral to their game plan is asking for trouble. I despise the concept because a good opponent will exploit it.

1 Like

B.Reid wanders far and high - He’ll try to take Hooker out of the defensive 50 - It will be a battle of wills.

Good to hear Hurley say that he liked having Hooker back & he hoped he’d stay there.

2 Likes

Hookay

Bit hard carrying the whole backline on your own I guess.

That’s because we (and he) are currently missing the Gleek.

When Marty’s back, it will change again.

“cale hooker may have seen his last days up forward”

woosh Talking Footy 23/4/2018

its done. Hookers home.

best send your wife out for some milk then…

7 Likes

its a flexible relationship.

1 Like