#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker

Hurley can play on a small/medium. Hartley on Reid, hooker on Cox :slight_smile:

nightmare for the opposition that any game game Hooker could line up fwd or back

such a huge presence

and dat fend off

Cox (giant) & Reid are their main talls up forward. Cox can be outsmarted easily, but not out marked easily. Reid is good all around. I think I’d have Hartley on Cox - much lighter, but should be able to spoil enough, Hooker on Reid, and then we’re left with quite a number of mid-sized goal kickers to look after.

He was great was Cale.

I think there will be times down back, depending on his matchup, that his lack of ability to cover the ground will hurt us. He is a farking monster and as such he can look like he has the old concrete boots on but the good will far outweigh the bad. His leadership, strength and intercept marking ability is crucial.

The coaching staff keep saying that we haven’t played together as a team, and we need to learn how to play together.

On the other hand, Hooker and Hurley have played 100 games together. The two of them were always going to be the future post-Fletcher. They complement each other perfectly.

Hartley plays the shut down role.
Hurley is the bull who attacks the football.
Hooker directs the defenders and takes intercept marks.

It’s just common sense.

It’s only going to work if the opposition plays two tall forwards though. Ambrose offers more flexibility than Hartley.

Not sure how we would line up against Richmond. Who takes Riewoldt? Too agile for Hooker and Hartley and Hurley prefers to zone off. Ditto Melbourne with Hogan.

Harltey ≈ astbury
Hurley > Grimes
Hooker ≥ Rance

This guy is a gun.
Will play both ends of the ground to help out the team. Never complains, and always gives 100%.
Still runs like he’s got something up his clacker though

I don’t think so.
Hartley is like - no one from Richmond.
Hurley is closer to Rance than Grimes, but not really like him either
Hooker … no Richmond counterpart.

But I’m not sure why you compared defense with defense, anyway. Mistake?

It was a brain fart in relation to defensive structure.

Grimes and Hurley are comparable in so far as they both play as medium/tall defenders. Hurley obviously has an attacking side to his game that Grimes doesn’t.

Hooker is comparable to Rance insofar as both are supreme intercept marks. In one on ones their strengths are a little different.

Astbury was pretty much thought of as a dud lock down player until he wasn’t a dud anymore. I hoping Hartley can emulate that.

hahaha, ok fair enough :slight_smile:

At the moment, i’d much prefer Ambrose in for Hartley. Hooker takes the gorilla and Ambrose takes the non-gorilla with running power

For me the biggest benefit of Hooker back is the turnovers he can create in the wings and around 50 which stops them getting deep. I think we will gain confidence with him back and press higher which had been our greatest weakness.
Good luck to Collingwood and there sloppy disposal getting through our defence next week.

Nope.
Hooker is the spareman or plays on the least dangerous tall forward, so he can get off his opponent and take intercepting marks.

You don’t want someone of Hookers ability getting side tracked by his direct opponent.

Anyone that was at the game yesterday will have seen Hooker (who was the spareman) directing all the defenders where they need to go. He would then cover the opposition player that had gotten loose.

Why hooker and Hurley compliment each other (with Hooker as a spare man), when the ball is in the air. Hurley muscles his man in a marking contests, while Hooker jumps across and takes the mark.

When the ball is spilled to the ground, Hurley is like a bull. He wants to collect the ball or lay a tackle. While this is happening, Hooker then goes to Hurley’s man.

Officially no.
Match reviewer didn’t raise it.

So good seeing him down back.

Any team that regards a spare man as integral to their game plan is asking for trouble. I despise the concept because a good opponent will exploit it.

B.Reid wanders far and high - He’ll try to take Hooker out of the defensive 50 - It will be a battle of wills.

Good to hear Hurley say that he liked having Hooker back & he hoped he’d stay there.

Hookay