#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

I think that’s pretty questionable. Having a look at his time since being a KP defender:

2016: played 4 games learning the craft, dropped to VFL. Got back into the side and played out the rest of the year, had some good signs and looked promising. But so did Hartley during that entire period.
2017: played the first 5 games, looked very promising. Injured. Played last 5 games of the year, with variable results (including getting killed one or two).
2018: Managed 7 games across two stints.

Saying he is a mile better than Hartley seems a pretty big stretch.

I think miles ahead is fair.

Ambrose has always played seniors when fit and Hartley has mostly been used as backup.

Would it be fair to say that when Ambrose has been fit he is usually selected?
It feels that way.

I think with Hooker out the first 3-4 matches Heppell should spend more time in defence being the general, providing leadership etc. Francis, Hurley, Saad, Mckenna is a good start.

Play Harltey/Ambrose when matchup is required.

Ridley probably done enough to earn round 1 call up.

Would be nice if Redman, Gleeson and Dea were also available.

Most definitely.

Ambrose has not been a VFL player for a long time.

Hartley is a VFL player unless injuries occur.

and as per BSD’s post in the Ambrose thread… Ambrose has been a preferred player.
But as I’ve said he isn’t in my core best 22. But good luck to him (us) if he can have a strong year.

I think he’s a solid defender.

Nothing spectacular but ultra competitive.

I would say he would be difficult to play against and as a backman that’s all you can ask for.

I want to see him have an injury free run and see how he goes. I suspect that most weeks they’ll be able to find a pretty reasonable match-up for him. He’ll get towelled up a few times no doubt, but I reckon he’ll have a lot of days where his opponent doesn’t get near it

Yep, pretty much.

All defenders get beaten at some stages.

When at peak fitness he has been pretty good.

He lays a really solid tackle too.

Yep, we know he’s not going to set up play but he kicks within his means and his defensive stuff is very good.

Except of course that ignores they play different roles. Hartley is competing with Hooker & Hurley, Ambrose has generally played medium or third tall. A lot less competition for his spot.

Isn’t that what I said?

Ambrose plays and Hartley is backup.

Hartley should only be used if every other defender on the list is injured

imo Hooker is the one player on our list we have no immediate replacement for. He can defend, experienced, great mark,great leader, decent kick, can play at either end.

Agree.

The guy gives me nightmares.

Gee we are going to miss him!

We saw it all again unfold last night

I went out to Tulla this morning hoping to catch training which was unfortunately a waste of time, the only thing that happened was the players came out in 2 groups and did a slow walk around the ground, mostly in casual gear, some in bare feet then back into the hanger - very strange.

One thing I did notice though through the binoculars was Hooker doing ball work with Kelly inside the hanger. He was being thrown a series of ground balls with another trainer bumping him with a collision bag. He showed a lot of agility in his movements and I couldn’t see any indication of injury or any hampered movement.

From what I have seen of the recovery period of other players previously I would no be at all surprised if he is available again sooner rather than later.

He hasn’t done a calf, its a flair up of his OP