#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

What Smack is not doing is taking any uncontested marks.
There should be some marks taken on the lead or by using defensive blocks / outbodying to mark in a metre of space.
Hooker, despite his lack of leg speed is actually quite good at this. Not all his marks are pack work clunks. He’s quite good at doubling back on short leads to establish separation.

Smack has a man up his clacker every single time this year.

2 Likes

That’s most likely a result of slow ball movement.

We are moving the ball at such a slow speed due to horrible skills that everything we do is under pressure.

I am hesitant judge anyone in isolation until there is a bit more fluidity in our play.

Obviously somethings at fault but it’s hard to work out exactly what it is with out knowing who’s roles what.

It’s just all a mess at the moment.

Well except Myers, he’s out!

Hooker back can release Francis forward if needed.

No it’s not the result of slow ball movement.

There are times we move the ball quickly, but Smack seems trapped in linear land - an extended lead up to the wing or high flank in a straight line, with no change in direction, so of course his opponent’s right up him, or circling back from a short lead to exactly where he started from, except behind a pack of players.

It’s as if he is determined to stick to the stereotype of the big power forward, without using any tricks or variations

1 Like

1000 x god no. Franga is just starting to settle in defence. Do. Not. Move. Him.

5 Likes

Well hopefully that comes with a bit of confidence.

He looked pretty dejected after that early miss but I was happy that he kept plugging away.

Not often I’m quoting you alex, … but you’re 110% spot on here.

He’s still just finding his feet. Another dozen games or so, then, maybe.

No Hooker this week.

Has that been confirmed?

According to club website being given another week to prepare by the same group of guys responsible for under preparing our playing list for Round 1.

11 Likes

It might only be VFL next week too.

It seems very likely to me, based on what Crow said. Sounded like if he played this week it was going to be VFL.

1 Like

VFL boys play this weekend then a bye next weekend so it might be tricky to give Cale a run before the Norf game on Good Friday

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

Melbourne by 10 goals

awesome. cheers.

Good decision to give him one more week. Imagine if he pinged it again coz they took a risk, this place would melt down.

3 Likes

If Hooker comes back in this week, and plays in defence who exactly is the player that will be the Key forward to replace McKernan?

I’d rather make the 2 changes Hooker and Brown come in. While Clarke and McKernan come out.

Hooker and Brown as forwards. When Daniher comes back, Hooker goes to Defense.

2 Likes

I think this is what they’ll do (or should do). And if we start leaking goals at any stage they can throw Hooker back for a while to steady things.