#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

17 Likes

Hooker killed Brown last year, I’d send him there before Hurley.

Cool argument to be having though.

Ambrose actually beat Brown convincingly back in 2016. Granted, brown was much younger, but he was no mug.

4 Likes

I worry that hooker had slowed down a bit. I think the trick with brown is to keep a number in front him and take his leading lane.

2 Likes

Hooker has been getting around his lack of speed his entire career. (Apart from one evening on the MCG wing in 2010)

Buy yeah, last year we played a spare in front of Brown (maybe even more than one) and let Hooker wrestle with him for the high balls.

3 Likes

Super return.

You just feel so much more secure when the opposition bombs it into a pack knowing that Hooker is there to kill the ball as that tall defender. Brisbane had a lot of repeat inside 50s in the second half and we repelled many thanks to this guy.

Send him to Brown. If he does a good job North won’t be able to kick a winning score

I personally wouldn’t send Hooker to their best forward and certainly one that repeat leads like Brown does.

Hookers strength is in zoning off and intercepting.

Let Ambrose have first crack at Brown.

1 Like

No way would Ambrose work on Brown.

The reach difference is just huge.

Brown takes the ball at its highest point. Ambrose barely gets off the ground

2 Likes

I agree with that but Ambrose will put an arm or shoulder into him at every opportunity and try and unsettle his run at the ball.

Brown will have Hooker on the lead just as easily.

We should back our strengths and that’s having Hooker and Hurley roaming and Ambrose locking down.

If that fails then make the change.

The chase was super. If it wasn’t, the other guy wouldn’t have just straightened up and waltzed into goal.

Hooker played on Brown in last years game & will surely get him again.

If not pointless playing him, as not going to match up on Wood or Ziebell.

Up to our mids to ensure pressuring so long high entries, and other defenders to help out cutting off the leading lanes etc.

1 Like

Hipwood is 4cm taller than Brown and Ambrose handled him easily

1 Like

That is a fair point. Ambrose played in that game as well

2 Likes

Does he?

Yeah but Hipwood runs around/gets way further up the ground than Brown which suits Ambrose’s aerobic ability.

If Brown gets Ambrose he will plonk himself at the top of the square and easily out jump Ambrose on long kicks in

They just played him loose against the lions if the 2nd ruck wasn’t there. He often had mccarthey at centre bounces and then just ignored him and let McKenna pick him up when he dropped back off the wing.

I haven’t seen an Essendon side that determined to play with a spare behind the ball in a long time. I liked it. It also meant Hurley played with his elbow in mcstay’s sternum which is why he was able to continually outpoint him in the last with the lions trying to kick over hooker to the one on one rather than to a lead.

1 Like

The sum of all fears , that Hooker was too slow for footy in 2019 seems to have no basis.

I was amazed at how well Hooker played, and how he improved our defensive structure. ( Redman was also a very handy in)
Nothing flash. Just clunk after clunk after clunk. But it seems that Hurley plays better when teamed with Hooker, so there are collateral benefits with having him there.

1 Like

It’ll be interesting to see how he pulls up. He’s had a good break. He could’ve come in underdone or cherry ripe fresh. He was the latter, but given his age and injuries he may find it tough as he gets the impact from real games. We need to manage him carefully as he is a massive asset.

3 Likes

Big Hooksy first game back and straight into AFL team of the week

Jeez he is important for us

TIPPA in also - 2wks in a row (AA year?)
Zerrett in as well

4 Likes

Ambrose holds hipwood to zero goals

Not good enough

He kicked 1.

I have thought for a while now that Hipwood is the most over hyped player in the comp.

Once a fortnight he will kick a sick goal. Probably only averages 7-8 touches a game.

I think people get carried away with his build and athleticism/potential