#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker

Fletcher is clearly the better defender, and player.

Clearly.

But as a one-out key defender taking the big full forwards, the margin is much closer.

No of course not but how do you compare two players that play totally different roles.

Early on inb Fletchs career he was a more traditional FB but for his final 20 years he was a third tall.

Fletcher would be playing Hurleys role rather than Hookers.

So you’re saying that Fletcher was “clearly” the best defender over several years? Pretty sure he was AA on 2 times in his 400 game career.

As mentioned earlier, you can’t compare era’s. It is doubtful that Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett, Lloyd etc. would have kicked 100 goals in this day and age. Firstly the defenders these days are taller and faster, secondly the forwards are double and triple teamed at most contests because there are 36 players all within the 50m arc at any point in time and finally the intimidation factor would not be such a factor these days as the would miss the entire season for the stuff they used to get away with.

Don’t get me wrong, all champions, but if you put Buddy Franklin in that era, he would have kicked 100+ goals on a regular basis.

Hooker is not fast, but name one time that he has had a bag kicked on him? As I said, I rate Hooker as the better Fullback because he is able to stop the oppositions key player. I agree that Fletch has him covered in other areas.

He’s looking great this season too. 30 marks across 3 games and he’s playing like he never had a break. AA form if it continues.

Need Hooksy to stay fit all season. Would be devo if he did another calf or something.

Just waiting for that tweet to pop up and my heart to sink

From memory (and I follow these sorts of things) he’s had 7 kicked on him by N Riewoldt (2012) and Tippett (2010), and Cloke kicked 5 in a half on him in 2012.

Wouldn’t think he’s had more than 4 kicked on him since 2013.

Edit: Josh Bruce got 5 on him in 2015.

Did Fletcher beat his chest like a gorilla?

‘his final 20 years…’

Lol
What a player, what a career.

You look at Hooker at his age now, and he’s had a great career, then you realise that Fletcher still had 10 years left in him at this stage.

I reckon Buddy has had his measure, especially once the ball hits the deck.

He played on Buddy 3 times, twice in 2009 and once in 2010. He kicked 5 each time.

But Hooker never got a crack at him in his prime and aside from the ‘goal of the century’ Hooker did ok on him.

No disrespect, but how old are you and have you watched Fletcher play, didn’t win a B&F in a flag year for nothing…

Probably cause Hurley is a better match up in all honesty.

If not he would have got another crack you reckon

2014 was probably the only real chance, but Hurely went to him and Hooker went to Tippett, which was right match ups. (Franklin kicked 5 on Hurely too.)

They tried Carlisle on him in 2013 (bad call) and outside of that, either Buddy has been injured or Hooker was up forward.

I always thought he deserved a crack at redemption for that goal, though.

I’m the same age as Fletch. I have at no point said that Fletcher wasn’t a great player for us, just that I think Hooker is a better fullback.

Fletch also played in a great team in 99/2000, where the whole defence and team were dominant. Hooker has not had that luxury yet!

I also recall Hooker playing on Buddy after Buddy had taken us apart a couple of times and did a much better job. Buddy got a couple of cheap goals and as he does against us a couple of Buddy specials. But as Hooker has bulked up, he has become a rock in defense.

Fletcher is clearly the best full back of the 2,. . because Cale is not a Full Back, … he’s a CHB who just plays there on occasion, and at CHF on other occasions.

Hooker is more a fullback than what Fletch was for most his career.

Sorry, … but that’s just not true.

So are Cox and Hawkins FF’s or CHF’s?

In fact, is there really any such thing as a position anymore?