#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

From memory (and I follow these sorts of things) he’s had 7 kicked on him by N Riewoldt (2012) and Tippett (2010), and Cloke kicked 5 in a half on him in 2012.

Wouldn’t think he’s had more than 4 kicked on him since 2013.

Edit: Josh Bruce got 5 on him in 2015.

Did Fletcher beat his chest like a gorilla?

3 Likes

‘his final 20 years…’

Lol
What a player, what a career.

2 Likes

You look at Hooker at his age now, and he’s had a great career, then you realise that Fletcher still had 10 years left in him at this stage.

8 Likes

I reckon Buddy has had his measure, especially once the ball hits the deck.

He played on Buddy 3 times, twice in 2009 and once in 2010. He kicked 5 each time.

But Hooker never got a crack at him in his prime and aside from the ‘goal of the century’ Hooker did ok on him.

No disrespect, but how old are you and have you watched Fletcher play, didn’t win a B&F in a flag year for nothing…

1 Like

Probably cause Hurley is a better match up in all honesty.

If not he would have got another crack you reckon

2014 was probably the only real chance, but Hurely went to him and Hooker went to Tippett, which was right match ups. (Franklin kicked 5 on Hurely too.)

They tried Carlisle on him in 2013 (bad call) and outside of that, either Buddy has been injured or Hooker was up forward.

I always thought he deserved a crack at redemption for that goal, though.

I’m the same age as Fletch. I have at no point said that Fletcher wasn’t a great player for us, just that I think Hooker is a better fullback.

Fletch also played in a great team in 99/2000, where the whole defence and team were dominant. Hooker has not had that luxury yet!

I also recall Hooker playing on Buddy after Buddy had taken us apart a couple of times and did a much better job. Buddy got a couple of cheap goals and as he does against us a couple of Buddy specials. But as Hooker has bulked up, he has become a rock in defense.

Fletcher is clearly the best full back of the 2,. . because Cale is not a Full Back, … he’s a CHB who just plays there on occasion, and at CHF on other occasions.

Hooker is more a fullback than what Fletch was for most his career.

1 Like

Sorry, … but that’s just not true.

So are Cox and Hawkins FF’s or CHF’s?

In fact, is there really any such thing as a position anymore?

No, you probably couldn’t clearly define the roles of recent years, … but for the 1st half of his Career, it was virtually always Hurls at FB, Hooks at CHB.

The debate raged for some time when he made the spot his own, as to whether he or Sean Wellman were the better/best, … then he was named AA CHB, and the debate just grew.

Pointing out Buddy’s goals on Hooker is not really much of a point, though, because …Buddy is Buddy and kicks goals on everyone.

1 Like

Hmmmm, I reckon pears had him at least once in 2009. Happy to be corrected on that and doesn’t invalidate your point anyway.

People forget hooker also used to be a lot quicker, a lot quicker.

Anyway the elephant in the room here is marking. Fletch was a dominant zoning defender before it was a thing but also before intercept marking was really a thing too. Fletch would always spoil in a contest. Hooker goes for his marks, and don’t we love him for it. I suspect this a generational difference as much as anything.

That said Fletcher is my all time favourite Essendon player, bar none. Amazing amazing footballer who could have played anywhere on the field on any opponent and did. That isn’t to say that there weren’t some players who had the better of him on occasion but as a pure footballer who was the whole package Fletcher was a God. And as humble as they come. He’s a legend and criminally underrated in some quarters. I reckon Fletch kept us mid table for a long time when we had no right to be and probably even saved us from a few more wooden spoons.

5 Likes

It’s okay to have an opinion, but it is not ok to make claims that you simply cannot back up. Such as old FF’s wouldn’t kick bags today. You have no way of knowing that, it is just an opinion. So maybe stick with opinion and let it go.

I always consider the stronger forward as the FF and the more mobile forward as the CHF. Generally Hooker plays on the bigger guy as he is stronger.