#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

What will be will be.

Francis loves a defensive mark

1 Like

Ha, was just about to say that. We have Gleeson too. The Crows are 8th in scoring. I am more concerned about their midfield.

1 Like

He certainly does, as does Gleeson. Hooker and Hurls are ranked 2nd and 3rd in the whole AFL for average marks though. Taking them both out could be disastrous.

I think last year it would have been disastrous. This year, the defensive lines before the last line of defence may make our depth good enough. I wonder if Hookerā€™s markā€™s or contest in the forward line may be worth more with the current group. We seem to get it forward often enough, but have trouble holding it in there

1 Like

This poor bloke canā€™t even bend down to pick the ball up at times because he is that sore.

Absolute warrior and heart and soul player.

Has turned himself into a champion of our football club.

9 Likes

Was really really ginger. Could hardly run or bend over. But been the heart and soul player he is provided a reliable target up fwd. Really good game consitoring how hampered he was.

I love hooker forward. This is position going forward. His lack of pace is being exposed in defence now. But his presence forward is critical.

1 Like

Although I donā€™t have stats (would love someone to work it out) but the past month or so we must be 20 goals to 5 when he is inside our forward 50.
Looking at the teams we play until end of season I canā€™t see Hooker being required in defence. Time to make a permanent switch.

1 Like

I personally think it was ridiculous that heā€™s not playing forward more, especially when heā€™s struggling. Jenkins gave him a bath early, then he goes forward and weā€™re immediately more efficient. He didnā€™t have a huge direct effect, but would Brown and Stringer have got all of those second half goals if Hooker hadnā€™t been taking a key defender?

3 Likes

Iā€™m in the Hooker forward camp as well. But what exactly do with the ruck and the forward line, if we assume Z Clarke is available, plus McKernan and Brown

I think a spot on the bench should be more utilised to get a higher intensity from our key position players.
We also play pretty fast and hardly have 3 key position sitting inside 50 as one or two are leading up the wings in transition.
You canā€™t ignore how efficient weā€™ve been playing when Hooker is forward.

Well, in 2017 when we had the most efficient and effective forward line in the league we played 3 KP talls.

1 Like

Out of Hooker, Brown and McKernan, Hooksy is the only one capable of playing on the elite defenders, and he always draws them. Usually has the third tall being consious of him too, which then allows Brown / McKernan and even Stringer much more favourable match ups.

My view has always been that you play him up the end that he is most needed. Thatā€™s clearly the forward line atm. You can always just switch him back if the need arises.

And I say this based on the whole season, not just his last two injury-affected gamesā€¦ His one on one defending ainā€™t what it used to be.

4 Likes

Can we play McKernan, Hooker, Brown and Stringer in the one forward line?

I think itā€™s worth looking at, at the very least. Stringer would need to ā€˜play smallerā€™ than he has been, but that is possible.

Iā€™m not convinced. In 2017 we usually had 3 pressure smalls (Walla, Fanta and Green) playing with the 3 talls. Plus Stewart is very quick so applies some pressure.

With Hooker, Smack, Brown and Stringer Iā€™m not confident weā€™d have enough pressure. Iā€™d be leaning towards leaving Smack outā€¦but that would seem very harsh. Iā€™d probably prefer Smack rucking over ZClarke, so maybe that needs to be the solution for the next month. Clarke doesnā€™t seem like his body will hold up to a 5 or 6 week stretch of games, so theyā€™ll probably both be needed to play ruck at times over the remainder of the season

I think the forward mix should be Hooker, Brown and Stringer, with McKernan up the ground playing the link up Richo role

Iā€™m not convinced either, and I reckon Raz has to be part of the mix for it to work.

But part of me thinks if weā€™re gonna keep bombing it long into 50ā€¦ We might as well fill the 50 with talls who can mark.

1 Like

Didnā€™t that used to be the Goodes role?

Such simpler times.

1 Like

Booooo!

Only because he sniped and staged, of course!

1 Like