#26 Clunk Hooker

HOOKER%20Cale.png

Season Highlights
21 disps (13 kicks 8 hballs) and 10 marks in Rd 22 6-pt win over Carlton at the MCG (24 Aug 2013)
30 disps (11 kicks 19 hballs) and 13 marks in Rd 15 30-pt win over Port Adelaide at Etihad Stadium (7 Jul 2013)
23 disps (10 kicks 13 hballs) and 14 marks in Rd 12 43-pt win over Gold Coast at Etihad Stadium (15 Jun 2013)
21 disps (13 kicks 8 hballs) and 10 marks in Rd 6 39-pt win over GWS at Etihad Stadium (4 May 2013)

Story of the year for mine. Backed himself to stay. Proved himself to be awesome. Hope he, like many others, can back up in 2014.

THANKYOU MISTER HOOKER

Integral, always works hard. Got his body and mind right. Well done.

Finally vindicated. I've been singing the praises of hookers for years.

Keep it going Cale. You are becoming a very good CHB.

Finally vindicated. I've been singing the praises of hookers for years.

Keep it going Cale. You are becoming a very good CHB.

I won't go that far (as saying I sang his praises), but will say that I've often said people were way too harsh on him - yeah he got beaten a few times last year, but when someone like Cloke is on, who doesn't get beaten?

Very happy to see his growth this year. Is able to stop his man AND now knows when to peel off his player. Between Buckets and Hooker we're set to have the best CHB/FB combo in the comp.

And it may be wishful thinking, but I reckon the improvement in Hooker has the stench of Fletcher all over it - he's really learning when to use his muscle, when to play off the man and cut the lanes and when to peel off and be the third man. I really hope this is the case and the loss of Wellman isn't too big a hit to our defenders morale and development.

The vision of Hooker chasing Buddy (a couple of years back) down the ground used to make me cringe, although always thought 'good on you Hooker' that you kept up the chase, even though you were never going to catch him. 

Now if I see it, I find it amusing, as just like the chase, he has never given up, and has proved this year, that he is capable of becoming a very, very  good and reliable player. 

The vision of Hooker chasing Buddy (a couple of years back) down the ground used to make me cringe, although always thought 'good on you Hooker' that you kept up the chase, even though you were never going to catch him. 

Now if I see it, I find it amusing, as just like the chase, he has never given up, and has proved this year, that he is capable of becoming a very, very  good and reliable player. 

I've always loved that footage. That is the moment I knew Cale had plenty to offer. From memory he was first (maybe second?) game back from a hammy. And as laboured and difficult as that chase looked, Buddy never opened up a gap on him. Never blew him into the weeds. I don't know how many other "big boys" like him could have made that chase and not get left behind. Cale won me over there and then. Heart the size of Phar Lap, and doesn't know how to lie down.

Has deleted the awkward kicking moments that hindered him early on. Kicking was "suspect" and on top of that tried to do the stupid dinky kicks (real bug of mine whenever anyone does it)

Takes on the big forwards and does well, reads the play superbly. Getting better and better which is all you can ask for.

his evasiveness and ability to beat a tackler 1 on 1 are greatly under appreciated IMO.

I've always loved that footage. That is the moment I knew Cale had plenty to offer. From memory he was first (maybe second?) game back from a hammy. And as laboured and difficult as that chase looked, Buddy never opened up a gap on him. Never blew him into the weeds. I don't know how many other "big boys" like him could have made that chase and not get left behind. Cale won me over there and then. Heart the size of Phar Lap, and doesn't know how to lie down.

Great isn't it, when just a moment in time, makes you see something special.

Is clearly a needed member of our backline.

gives 100%, has a fletcheresque read of the play / ball in flight

took a massive step this year.

well done son

In a football sense he really arrived this year. In prior years my first thoughts when the ball was in his vicinity is that Hooker would mark, stop, prop and run half a dozen or so steps backwards to take his kick. This year he actually backed his own ability. Well done Cale!

Was happy when he stayed last year but at the same time said he was going to have to be ■■■■■■ good to be worth the two picks we were getting for him or whatever it was from West Coast. 

Definitely worth it. 

Wonderful year from Cale.  Only behind Pig Hibberd for the most improved award I would have thought.

Gun.

Probably our strongest player.

Love him, Will only get better, Best flight of the ball reader since Fletch.

Awesome year Cale!

He reads the play really well and is getting better and better at knowing when to peel off and take the intercept mark. I'm not sure on the current stats, but for most of the year he had the most intercept marks in the league. His disposal has improved a lot too, I'm comfortable when he has the ball in his hands.

Keep up the good work.

I dont think we should underestimate the importance of the rise of Carlisle and Pig in the progress of Hooker.

Yes he is the story of the year for me too but the pressure has been released. When it was Hooker and Pears expected to take 1 and 2 were were stuffed. Both of them will do much better slightly down the pecking order...

Loved Cale since his first or second year when he was forced into the ruck to bolster our injured ruck stocks. A lock in our best team.