#27 Jonathon Giles

Seeee the bombers fly up

If he kicks 1.0 he goes ahead of Mark Johnson and Lloyd on the career accuracy table, to third on the all-time Essendon listing*. If he kicks 2.0 he will be tied with Jay Neagle for first.

Make me stand up and yell your catchphrase, Jon.

• minimum of fifty scoring shots, since 1965

If only jay had gone back and slotted that goal against Geelong it all would have been different.

If he kicks 1.0 he goes ahead of Mark Johnson and Lloyd on the career accuracy table, to third on the all-time Essendon listing*. If he kicks 2.0 he will be tied with Jay Neagle for first.

Make me stand up and yell your catchphrase, Jon.

• minimum of fifty scoring shots, since 1965

If only jay had gone back and slotted that goal against Geelong it all would have been different.

Ha I haven’t thought about that in awhile. So I did some Googling and came across this article … turns out she DID used to write about footy once!

Still can’t say a positive thing about anyone, but hey, ‘it’s the journalists job to tell/invent things people don’t want to hear’. I bet knights was like - ‘ooh burn’.

Far out that was a negative article about a person who was always struggling with things outside of football.

I honestly believe Neagle had the tools, but not the self belief to make it, and I can see what Knights was trying to do with him.

The beard

Can’t find a thread for him (please merge or gurge as necessary)

Congrats on your first senior game for the red and black. (Against Western Bulldogs Rd 18, Season 2015.)

Kick 5 please! Ta.

Where’s the discussion on Giles after the game? It was comforting seeing a big bloke going about his business, not being monstered in the ruck.

11D, 9K, 2H, 3M, 2T, 25HO, 75DT. Thought he did a good job and can only get better the more he plays.

Was ok. Deserves a few games to get his mojo back at this level.

Where's the discussion on Giles after the game? It was comforting seeing a big bloke going about his business, not being monstered in the ruck.

11D, 9K, 2H, 3M, 2T, 25HO, 75DT. Thought he did a good job and can only get better the more he plays.

The mids have to realise he very often taps to his feet, ( both in the 2s and against the dogs.). Not sure if this is so he can drop down and rove his own tap, get the hit out and the disposal stat. It seemed like it was the Bulldogs that figured this out and sharked it quite a few times.

Where's the discussion on Giles after the game? It was comforting seeing a big bloke going about his business, not being monstered in the ruck.

The tap that ended in the Zerrett goal was absolute poetry. Haven’t seen a tap like that since R23 2014.

Took a couple of good contested marks, had a few hacked clearances that might have ended up with our forwards if they bothered to play in front and didn’t give away any rucking frees.

Massive improvement. Now we just need to bring Smack back in and rotate them between ruck and CHF and we will have a ruck division, a forward line, and we won’t have to argue about whether Hooker, Carlisle and Hurley are forwards.

meh.

I still don’t know why he wasn’t played forward.
He was either in the ruck or on the bench.
In the second quarter he was benched for ten minutes. Same happened in the third quarter. I didn’t notice what happened in the first or last quarters.
I’m not sure if McKernan was used the same way.

Hopefully he stays in the team and gets some match fitness so that he isn’t benched so often and just rested up forward instead.

He was OK…we need a big lump of humanity like BIGJON to play ruck.

Don’t reckon he is fit enough yet to run out a whole game. I think the 2 ruck structure has merit.

I would definitely look at having Giles/ T-Bell and Smack as relief.

Think it’s time for Ambrose to make way for Smack.

Don't reckon he is fit enough yet to run out a whole game. I think the 2 ruck structure has merit.

I think with BOGJON and Smack resting up forward, along with JOEDAN and a couple of mediums (Laverde and Langford) we have the makings of a forward line. Need to get a couple of small fast guys on the list. I noted when the ball came into our forward line and spilt from the pack (when it wasnt marked by a defender) we had no one at the foot of the pack. Ever.

I thought he was serviceable. Would love to see him get a chance to rotate with Smack and we might actually solve two problems at once.

All too late now of course but if we can’t pick up a decent ruck we may not have a lot of options.

Don't reckon he is fit enough yet to run out a whole game. I think the 2 ruck structure has merit.

I think with BOGJON and Smack resting up forward, along with JOEDAN and a couple of mediums (Laverde and Langford) we have the makings of a forward line. Need to get a couple of small fast guys on the list. I noted when the ball came into our forward line and spilt from the pack (when it wasnt marked by a defender) we had no one at the foot of the pack. Ever.

Agreed on the smalls. There may be the options of playing Edwards back in there along with Jerrett. Might be value in putting Zaka up forward with Myers and Budda potential ins. Need a smaller forward though 100%.

I thought he was excellent for his first game in. Maybe some were expecting a Ryder, NicNat or Goldstein like performance?

It was incredibly refreshing to see someone provide a contest in the ruck. He was competing around the ground, providing a target for the kickouts at CHB and grabbing a few. And he won some centre clearances. Great first up game IMHO and I hope his endeavour continues, that his stamina improves and he can snag the odd goal or two in a game here or there. He may not be the bundle of energy McKernan is, but in form he is the ruckman we need.

VFL level player

Delist