#27 Jonathon Giles

VFL level player

Delist

Agreed.

Giles is a sign that people can make themselves believe anything if they try hard enough. Game has passed him by, clear after seeing him play just why he hasnt played earlier. I think everyone got their knickers in such a knot over his non-inclusion that they now what the ā€œI told you soā€ moment. Unfortunately Giles isnt up to it. I would probably accept that game from a young up and coming ruckman, not someone who has no upside.

Giles is a sign that people can make themselves believe anything if they try hard enough. Game has passed him by, clear after seeing him play just why he hasnt played earlier. I think everyone got their knickers in such a knot over his non-inclusion that they now what the "I told you so" moment. Unfortunately Giles isnt up to it. I would probably accept that game from a young up and coming ruckman, not someone who has no upside.

Interesting. Well Belly is a number 3 ruckman based on this year, McKernan is not someone that should ruck for more than 5 minutes a quarter as he gets squashed and smashed, so weā€™d better go and get a gun ruckman then. Bellchambers and McKernans performances playing as ruckman this year have been utterly frustrating. It was nice to have a big body who actually contested - as someone said, first time since Paddy.

I dont really rate giles but heā€™s going to give us a little more at stoppages than mckernan for the rest of the year. Id love mckenan as a permanent back up to belly next year. fk giles is horribly slow. The game has gone past that type of ruckman.

Giles is a sign that people can make themselves believe anything if they try hard enough. Game has passed him by, clear after seeing him play just why he hasnt played earlier. I think everyone got their knickers in such a knot over his non-inclusion that they now what the "I told you so" moment. Unfortunately Giles isnt up to it. I would probably accept that game from a young up and coming ruckman, not someone who has no upside.

What about his game on sunday made you think he isnt up to it.

He played his role very well, wasnt a world beater but he doesnt need to be.

Should play in tandem with mckernan forward/ruck for the rest of the year.

Will never lose a game as long as he plays.

Well, after THIS one, then weā€™ll be fine.

What about his game on sunday made you think he isnt up to it.

He played his role very well, wasnt a world beater but he doesnt need to be.

Should play in tandem with mckernan forward/ruck for the rest of the year.

Too slow, not defensively minded enough, didnt hold his marks, didnt chase, disposal was iffy and his tapwork was nowhere near up to standard. It was tap and hope. I know he hit Zerrett but on all available evidence of the rest of the game I have to believe that was an accident.

I also think that some people got too invested in the ā€˜heā€™s not AFL standardā€™ line, and were hoping for an ā€˜I told you so moment.ā€™

Because personally, after seeing him play on the weekend, Iā€™m even more astounded that he hasnā€™t got a game earlier. Not because heā€™s awesome, but because heā€™s nowhere near as rubbish as has been presented on here.

I also think that some people got too invested in the ā€˜heā€™s not AFL standardā€™ line, and were hoping for an ā€˜I told you so moment.ā€™

Because personally, after seeing him play on the weekend, Iā€™m even more astounded that he hasnā€™t got a game earlier. Not because heā€™s awesome, but because heā€™s nowhere near as rubbish as has been presented on here.

Think you will find before the weekend I hadnt expressed an opinion on him. Not that I remember anyway. I hadnt seen enough of him to comment.

Belly is the worst of all clubs number 1 ruckman in the league IMO.

Barely wins a tap. Offers fark all when ball hits the deck. Undisciplined as they come. No pace. No endurance.

His one saving grace is he can take a decent mark and kick goals fwd.

Hope we trying to poach another clubs ruck and send him back to them as part of trade. Giles will be kept as backup with a year to run on his contract.

Losing Ryder screwed us in the ruck. As per Crameri as a third tall fwd.

Watch Gilesā€™ s work rate compared to that young kid we brought in from the EDFL 2 weeks ago with no VFL or AFL fitness base Andrew Brown.
Busts his guts to get to a contest , where as Giles" Meh there will be another one soon"ā€¦

Watch Giles' s work rate compared to that young kid we brought in from the EDFL 2 weeks ago with no VFL or AFL fitness base Andrew Brown. Busts his guts to get to a contest , where as Giles" Meh there will be another one soon"...

I donā€™t think heā€™s the messiah, but this is just not true.

Seriously as it stands he is the best we have. Give him the rest of the year and assess. Wouldnā€™t hurt to play SMACK instead of Ambrose as relief though

I thought he was excellent for his first game in. Maybe some were expecting a Ryder, NicNat or Goldstein like performance?

It was incredibly refreshing to see someone provide a contest in the ruck. He was competing around the ground, providing a target for the kickouts at CHB and grabbing a few. And he won some centre clearances. Great first up game IMHO and I hope his endeavour continues, that his stamina improves and he can snag the odd goal or two in a game here or there. He may not be the bundle of energy McKernan is, but in form he is the ruckman we need.

I disagree.
Provided an ok ruck contest against an average ruck.
Competing around the ground was only just (not too bad when we had it, pretty poor when doggies had it).
As for a target for the kickouts at CHB and grabbing a few??? he took what, 3 marks for the day. I would say he spoilt that many that Hooker would have taken if he kept out of the contest.
I agree that he competed to the best of his ability at the clearances. Would prefer him get out a handball to a runner instead of the hacked kick forward.

I thought he was excellent for his first game in. Maybe some were expecting a Ryder, NicNat or Goldstein like performance?

It was incredibly refreshing to see someone provide a contest in the ruck. He was competing around the ground, providing a target for the kickouts at CHB and grabbing a few. And he won some centre clearances. Great first up game IMHO and I hope his endeavour continues, that his stamina improves and he can snag the odd goal or two in a game here or there. He may not be the bundle of energy McKernan is, but in form he is the ruckman we need.

I disagree.
Provided an ok ruck contest against an average ruck.
Competing around the ground was only just (not too bad when we had it, pretty poor when doggies had it).
As for a target for the kickouts at CHB and grabbing a few??? he took what, 3 marks for the day. I would say he spoilt that many that Hooker would have taken if he kept out of the contest.
I agree that he competed to the best of his ability at the clearances. Would prefer him get out a handball to a runner instead of the hacked kick forward.

When he did get, he would look for a handball to a guy running past, but nobody was making any options for him. Everyone was just standing with their hands in the air asking for the ball

Watch Giles' s work rate compared to that young kid we brought in from the EDFL 2 weeks ago with no VFL or AFL fitness base Andrew Brown. Busts his guts to get to a contest , where as Giles" Meh there will be another one soon"...
Who?

Andrew BrownE, ex-Richmond and current Keilor listed. Played VFL for us the last two weeks.

Looks like Giles, but slower and notably more unco. Check the ruckman thread for the LOLz about him.

All Giles did was show why he is a VFL player. Very underwhelming.

Who?

Watched my first VFL game on the weekend in ages. My first thought ā€œthis other Brown is absolutely useless.ā€ Seriously I donā€™t say that oftenā€¦

It makes a bit more sense now why Giles came in last week. It was to give him a test and make him earn a game this weekend against the team he used to play with. I thought he did okay without being terrible or great at anything really.

When Giles was in the ruck, we at least were competitive. I donā€™t think weā€™ve been competitive in the ruck since round one. Every other time weā€™ve been soundly beaten (as far as I recall). McKernan has been better around the ground but below average in the ruck.

If heā€™s dropped this coming week against the last team that traded him, then Iā€™m completely confused and Giles should be delisted.