#27 Jonathon Giles

The big fella did fine. Got in the way a few times (as did Joey D) but I guess that’s to be expected in an unsettled line up that has NFI what it’s doing.

Must play with SMACK next week.

Wasnt great, wasnt terrible. I thought we were better having him play than not. In our current situation, imo he should play. Ideally, at full strength, he shouldnt. No great revelation in that, i wouldnt have thought.

The big fella did fine. Got in the way a few times (as did Joey D) but I guess that's to be expected in an unsettled line up that has NFI what it's doing.

So you don’t think we’re slow enough??

We will get a better assessment when get matches up on AFL level rucks.

The big fella did fine. Got in the way a few times (as did Joey D) but I guess that's to be expected in an unsettled line up that has NFI what it's doing.

So you don’t think we’re slow enough??

Would we be slower though?

Is Smack going to be slower than Hooker or Ambrose up forward?

In a perfect world I would like to see our backline stacked (carlisle/hooker/hurley) with Smack/langford/daniher providing tall targets up forward. You probably wouldn’t want giles and daniher deep together but then it is up to our coaches to get our rotations right.

Giles is a sign that people can make themselves believe anything if they try hard enough. Game has passed him by, clear after seeing him play just why he hasnt played earlier. I think everyone got their knickers in such a knot over his non-inclusion that they now what the "I told you so" moment. Unfortunately Giles isnt up to it. I would probably accept that game from a young up and coming ruckman, not someone who has no upside.

I also think that some people got too invested in the ‘he’s not AFL standard’ line, and were hoping for an ‘I told you so moment.’

Because personally, after seeing him play on the weekend, I’m even more astounded that he hasn’t got a game earlier. Not because he’s awesome, but because he’s nowhere near as rubbish as has been presented on here.

Don’t put too much stock in supercoach points - but 85 was higher than anything Bellchambers scored this year.

Giles is a sign that people can make themselves believe anything if they try hard enough. Game has passed him by, clear after seeing him play just why he hasnt played earlier. I think everyone got their knickers in such a knot over his non-inclusion that they now what the "I told you so" moment. Unfortunately Giles isnt up to it. I would probably accept that game from a young up and coming ruckman, not someone who has no upside.

I also think that some people got too invested in the ‘he’s not AFL standard’ line, and were hoping for an ‘I told you so moment.’

Because personally, after seeing him play on the weekend, I’m even more astounded that he hasn’t got a game earlier. Not because he’s awesome, but because he’s nowhere near as rubbish as has been presented on here.

Don’t put too much stock in supercoach points - but 85 was higher than anything Bellchambers scored this year.

i wont

Where's the discussion on Giles after the game? It was comforting seeing a big bloke going about his business, not being monstered in the ruck.

11D, 9K, 2H, 3M, 2T, 25HO, 75DT. Thought he did a good job and can only get better the more he plays.

I thought ‘why did we rdrop SMack again?’

Wasn’t terrible I guess.

Interesting. Well Belly is a number 3 ruckman based on this year, McKernan is not someone that should ruck for more than 5 minutes a quarter as he gets squashed and smashed, so we’d better go and get a gun ruckman then. Bellchambers and McKernans performances playing as ruckman this year have been utterly frustrating. It was nice to have a big body who actually contested - as someone said, first time since Paddy.

The ■■■■ have you been watching benny? Smack had 30 hitouts & 15 touches vs Port (Lobbe and Paddy) Giles had 25 and 12 (Campbell and...?)

Neither are exactly a star and neither probably likely to be, but Smack’s ahead as it stands.

I wasn't at all surprised with his game. He didn't disgrace himself in the contest as he's got passable skills for a ruckman, but he is slow as a wet week. Whereas SMack has passable skills for a ruckman, and is a pretty decent athlete - clearly our #1 at the moment IMHO.

I’m not really sure having Giles in there over, say, a traffic bollard or Ambrose actually made us any better as a clearance unit. Can’t lay all the blame at his feet, but that was even worse in the contest than St Kilda or Geelong.

Watch Giles' s work rate compared to that young kid we brought in from the EDFL 2 weeks ago with no VFL or AFL fitness base Andrew Brown. Busts his guts to get to a contest , where as Giles" Meh there will be another one soon"...
Did you not see him on the weekend? That Browne bloke looked like Kepler Bradley, dangley and awkward, pushed off the ball, fell over and so on! Instaban 4 u mate.

I’m convinced some people can’t actually read sentences longer than about 4 words.

I'm convinced some people can't actually read sentences longer than about 4 words.

You’re convinced some people, what?

I'm convinced some people can't actually read sentences longer than about 4 words.
Sentence too long, numbnut!

Giles interview on SEN.
Bit of a nothing interview, but when quizzed about why it’s take so long to get a game:
Basically said Hird was happy with ruck tap work and forward work but needed more 2nd efforts and tackling around the ground like Mumford.

So there you have it.I guess when a senior coach puts a kpi or condition on what a player needs to do to get s game, they gotta do it consistently.

Be interesting to see Giles stats this year and see if there has been an upward curve in tackles, and for vfl watchers-was he using his body to block/influence contests to the advantage of mids?

Giles interview on SEN. Bit of a nothing interview, but when quizzed about why it's take so long to get a game: Basically said Hird was happy with ruck tap work and forward work but needed more 2nd efforts and tackling around the ground like Mumford.

So there you have it.I guess when a senior coach puts a kpi or condition on what a player needs to do to get s game, they gotta do it consistently.

Be interesting to see Giles stats this year and see if there has been an upward curve in tackles, and for vfl watchers-was he using his body to block/influence contests to the advantage of mids?

Amazing.
A coach is requiring a player to improve their skills? Almost like he thinks he’s a coach or something!!

VFL tackles (and a line of best fit) - has been improving

Sooooo… rewarded for his equal-worst match?

:wink:
“Rewarded for a good month”

IMHO this week just about confirms we’ll never play 2 rucks at once.

;) "Rewarded for a good month"

IMHO this week just about confirms we’ll never play 2 rucks at once.

And that Giles 3/4’s fit doesn’t warrant McKernan to be named an emergency just incase he doesn’t get up.

With TBell re-signing and hopefully Smack being upgraded can anyone see Giles getting much of a go next season?
Would he have any trade value?