#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

Strange that Mason was the first one extended ahead of Parish or Francis but still happy with this news.

Bring on Hurls and Darce I say!

He’s a clever boy. There’s more cash in the kitty before those two extend.

It’s good business extending Redman now. Say he’s on the base draftee salary of 80k, he doesn’t have enough runs on the board to demand much more. Let’s say 2018/9 is therefore locked in at 140k, we obviously think he’s going to be playing a fair bit of footy for us in the future. If he’s back in the side before the end of the year and plays 14 games next year he’d be worth roughly that 140k, which means we have 2018/9 locked in at that cash when he invariably (or by our expectations) surpasses that value.

Parish/Francis might be a similar thing on a different scale. Let them spend most of next year in the side then lock them each in for 3/4 (or 10) years at ~ $300k knowing they’ll be worth more than that in their 2nd/3rd years of those contracts and we have a little win.

I don’t know peeto.

Why would Redman re-sign for 140k a year now?

Essendon has to hedge there bets. Overpay now but perhaps underpay when he comes on as anticipated. I would have thought 200k or a little more.

And if your parish there is just no way you re-sign for 300k.

He is already a better player than all our mids except Zerret, Goddard, Zaka (highly fkn questionable), myers (borderline), hepp and Watson.

Whitfield got 500k a year. Come middle of next year if parish keeps building like we expect then he could command the same but with a asterisk next to his large ceiling.

• Whitfield couldn’t clean his boots I reckon. He is overrated and lucky to be in such a good midfield. Kelly on the other hand - silk

Glad for him to get a contract extension, hasn’t put a foot wrong so far.

Tony Abbott was rumoured to have fathered a love child once. Mason Redman does remind me a little (unfortunately)
Huh? It wasn't a rumour, its well known. And his son is in his late twenties.
The one DUDoro missed was Ryan Clarke. Could have had Clarke, Mathieson and Menogola. To pass on the All Australian Centreman for an injury-prone over-ager was classic DUDoro. Clarke was 5th in Morrish medal, 5th in Coaches award and named rover in TAC team of year. His coach said he had never seen a better runner. DUDoro goes for the projects yet again. How long has he been in charge? No wonder we are 18th.
How many threads will this Troll post this exact same post?
Tony Abbott was rumoured to have fathered a love child once. Mason Redman does remind me a little (unfortunately)
Huh? It wasn't a rumour, its well known. And his son is in his late twenties.

Abbott on the job. It’d be like watching Gollum ■■■■.

I don't know peeto.

Why would Redman re-sign for 140k a year now?

Essendon has to hedge there bets. Overpay now but perhaps underpay when he comes on as anticipated. I would have thought 200k or a little more.

And if your parish there is just no way you re-sign for 300k.

He is already a better player than all our mids except Zerret, Goddard, Zaka (highly fkn questionable), myers (borderline), hepp and Watson.

Whitfield got 500k a year. Come middle of next year if parish keeps building like we expect then he could command the same but with a asterisk next to his large ceiling.

• Whitfield couldn’t clean his boots I reckon. He is overrated and lucky to be in such a good midfield. Kelly on the other hand - silk

Yes it’s not always about the money, they just love being here.

Its always about the money

Its always about the money

clubs have no loyalty, its all driven by how losing player x would upset the fans and lead to revenue losses. they can parade all they like about being family club, supporters club loyal club bullshit club. end of the day it comes down to commercial success and on field success.

Look at the NBA Dwyane Wade is the Heats greatest player wouldn’t match his demands for higher wages after taking wage cuts to keep or gain the likes of lebron. Now hes playing at the Bulls.

My post was more about the principle, not the figures.

The other thing that makes afl different to epl, nba, nfl etc is although we would all like to make some of their salaries player X who is earning 350k for 3 years gets a rival offer for 450k over 4 that is a big difference.

I feel for the players because we hold them to a moral standard and expect loyalty when their careers are short.

Let’s say hurls takes a 750k contract a year for 6 years.

That’s 4.5M

Minus tax

I don’t live in Melbourne. My sister does - it’s ■■■■■■ expensive. Even on that salary it’s not like Hurley is buying his house in cash.

Footy players should be payed more. If they were payed more I reckon thats when you could be more critical of their decisions but when you are talking thousands not millions for yearly salaries most players ain’t retiring rich.

On the extended bench vs. Adelaide. Hope he plays.

The other thing that makes afl different to epl, nba, nfl etc is although we would all like to make some of their salaries player X who is earning 350k for 3 years gets a rival offer for 450k over 4 that is a big difference.

I feel for the players because we hold them to a moral standard and expect loyalty when their careers are short.

Let’s say hurls takes a 750k contract a year for 6 years.

That’s 4.5M

Minus tax

I don’t live in Melbourne. My sister does - it’s ■■■■■■ expensive. Even on that salary it’s not like Hurley is buying his house in cash.

Footy players should be payed more. If they were payed more I reckon thats when you could be more critical of their decisions but when you are talking thousands not millions for yearly salaries most players ain’t retiring rich.

In terms of world sport AFL players are seriously under payed. Whatever the EPL seconds league is gets payed more.

They are definitely underpaid comparatively to other worldwide professional sportspeople…however, one huge added factor that doesn’t necessarily have a monetary value is name and reputation.

ie. A lot of afl players when their career ends are quite easily offered roles in the media, coaching, admin etc areas of football. What they also already have for themselves over average joe public is a reputation widely known, and many use this to their advantage when establishing businesses after football. Are they necessarily experts or fully qualified in that particular area? Probably; but who knows, perhaps some more than others.

But what they are able to do is essentially trade off their own name, giving most footballers plenty of options once they retire.

They do just fine

If I was 18 and getting paid $140k I’d consider myself pretty damn well off.

If I was 18 and getting paid $140k I'd consider myself pretty damn well off.

Not if you had to put up with your work owning you 24/7.
Not allowed to have a few bevvies with your other 18yo mates for fear of being caught by some media grub or being belted by some flog. Having to watch what you eat and worry about what WADA banned substances there are in your food/drink. They sacrifice a lot to get that money.
I’d rather take the 80k a year and have a beer and a bong when I feel like it and head over to Bali every few months but hey everyone’s different :slight_smile:

Not allowed to have a few bevvies with your other 18yo mates for fear of being caught by some media grub or being belted by some flog. Having to watch what you eat and worry about what WADA banned substances there are in your food/drink. They sacrifice a lot to get that money.
I’d rather take the 80k a year and have a beer and a bong when I feel like it and head over to Bali every few months but hey everyone’s different :slight_smile:

You make a good argument but there’s plenty of time for beer, bongs n Bali in your 30s when you can’t play pro footy anymore.

18 yr olds get drafted and paid 70-80k. They have a 2 year contract. Imagine coming to work after giving everything for 2 years plus your draft year and being told. Sam - we know you are a great team player, show good leadership but your typing and admin is not up to elite standards so don’t come back tomorrow.

just do a neymar, hide everything at your dads.

just do a neymar, hide everything at your dads.

Could get Messi, particularly if you see it on a Graf.