#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

Another South Aussie and our 3rd country boy from our first 4 picks. I like that!

1 Like

It’s not like we are a team that plays predictable football.

It makes a forwards life very hard, even experienced forwards struggle in that regard let alone a 3 gamer.

We also barely won a clearance enabling quick ball movement and allowing smart forwards to get off their man into space.

Until we can break even in the midfield the performances of our fwds are always going to be poor, especially the youngin’s.

Everybody loves Redman.

Not me, Redman can’t read the play for cr@p.

Yeah the failure of an 18 year old in his 3rd game of AFL football to read the play like a veteran is inexcusable.

■■■■ Head

Just saying it as I see it, hell 18 possessions in 3 games is not a great sign for any player.
Learning how to read the play is close to the hardest thing for players to learn, hence why so many fail at AFL level.
Lots of hard work ahead as it doesn’t come naturally by the looks of things.

It’s not like we are a team that plays predictable football.

It makes a forwards life very hard, even experienced forwards struggle in that regard let alone a 3 gamer.

We also barely won a clearance enabling quick ball movement and allowing smart forwards to get off their man into space.

Until we can break even in the midfield the performances of our fwds are always going to be poor, especially the youngin’s.

Everybody loves Redman.

Yeah the failure of an 18 year old in his 3rd game of AFL football to read the play like a veteran is inexcusable.

■■■■ Head

Just saying it as I see it, hell 18 possessions in 3 games is not a great sign for any player.
Learning how to read the play is close to the hardest thing for players to learn, hence why so many fail at AFL level.
Lots of hard work ahead as it doesn’t come naturally by the looks of things.

He’s just not AFL ready at the present time.

I suspect he would be doing very nicely if he was playing in a normal forward line, but unfortunately he isn’t.

Everybody loves Redman.

I was watching him for about 5 minutes during the game and he moved into some really smart positions but either the guys up the field made a skill error or they stopped, propped and kicked sideways or backwards and thus making Redman’s actions irrelevant. I saw enough to think he can read the play and that he is going to be OK.

Everybody loves Redman.

■■■■ Head

Everybody loves Redman.

Noticed Crowls snatched a mark off him. Looked apologetic at Mason. I thought he did alright for a 2nd gamer.

I reckon Redman gave Crowley the “Leave. Mine” call only for Crowls to sneak in and take it anyway.

That’s exactly what happened. Redman said something after the mark too to which Crowley said “mate… watch this”

Then missed.

That wiped the smile off Crowls face .
But, seriously, did Redman call for him to leave it. Or dont the players all know the sound of their teamates voices yet?

Yeah he would have that’s why they had an exchange after. From memory he even something?

clearly Redmond called for it the ball when Crowley was in front of him, but I think Crowley did right thing by taking mark. He knew he was clear, but unable to know if redmond also clear.
If he had left it and Redmond had been spoiled he would have been dragged! Have to take those if in any doubt. Bummer about the kick tho.

It’s “Redman”.

Everybody loves Redman.

Nice that he already has the smarts to be able to read the play and anticipate accordingly, shown both in that intercept and running forward after the Langford mark. Think he would’ve got a bit of confidence out of that game, which came out with his encouragement of others when we scored.
Exciting times ahead to see how quickly he comes on once he adjusts to the tempo of the game.

I just keep thinking that this draft has been a cracker. We got this kid mid to late second round. One of the most exciting recruits for years sneaked in as a rookie. Morgan has a huge ceiling from what I hear and so does Eades. You build eras around big recruits and steals like this.

Gumby
Jetta
Hislop
Houli
Reimers
Davey

Let’s wait and see

Houli has turned out ok

I think Houli not playing for Richmond this week was a big reason they kept with Sydney and eventually won, his disposal is worrying and turnovers are an absolute liability.

Yeah agree - hope he’s back in week after next

would have hoped for someone else but could be good had injury concerns

Imagine a young player who is still growing having injury problems, unheard of.

AFL draft 2015: SA country boy Mason Redman emerges as one of AFL draft’s biggest bolters

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/afl-draft-2015-sa-country-boy-mason-redman-emerges-as-one-of-afl-drafts-biggest-bolters/story-fnb7al7m-1227617028469

HE is the son of a South-East lobster fisherman and became an elite athlete by pounding the pavement on the outskirts of Millicent while his dad Joel followed him in his car with a stopwatch.

Now Mason Redman’s insatiable work ethic and burning desire to become an AFL footballer is poised to pay big dividends with the Glenelg utility emerging as one of this year’s draft bolters.

Defying the pathway program of most of this year’s heralded draft crop, Redman was a little-known country footballer a year ago.

But on Tuesday he is almost certain to find an AFL home and should be considered as a top-20 pick, according to 2006 Magarey Medallist Brett Backwell.

Backwell, who coached Redman in Glenelg’s reserves this year, describes the 18-year-old as “an absolute ripper and one of the best kids you’ll ever come across’’.

“Mason knows what he wants and he’s set about getting it, doing everything in his power to win a spot on an AFL list’’ said Backwell, a former Carlton, West Adelaide, Glenelg and North Adelaide rover.

“There’s talent and then there’s attitude and I would take attitude over talent every day of the week and Mason’s got that in bucketloads. Attitude-wise he’s as good a kid as I’ve ever seen.

“That’s not to say he’s not extremely talented because he is. He’s athletic, he can run and carry, he kicks the ball well and he makes good decisions but it’s his attitude that sets him apart from most others.’’

Redman, a linebreaking 187cm, 77kg wingman who is equally at home on a half-back or half-forward flank, enjoyed a meteoric rise this year after leaving the “comfort zone’’ of his Millicent home — 400km southeast of Adelaide.

After being included in Glenelg’s southeast talent squads at age 14 and playing his first senior game for Millicent at 15, Redman, somewhat reluctantly — “I didn’t want to leave the family but I knew I had to get to Adelaide and have a crack at it if I wanted to achieve my dream of playing AFL,’’ he said — packed his bags in January to move to the city.

He shifted in with his aunty at Highgate and joined Concordia College so school football wouldn’t interfere with his Glenelg commitments.

Redman started the season in the under-18s, represented SA at the national under-18 championships, returned to play reserves football and played two league games, which were watched by about 30 family members and friends.

He then put himself on display for the 18 AFL clubs at last month’s draft combine in Melbourne.

Redman, a North Melbourne supporter, said every club except GWS and Carlton has interviewed him.

“It’s been an amazing year and hopefully there’s another chapter to be written yet,’’ he said.

Redman has dreamt of playing AFL since he joined his first Auskick clinic at age five.

“It’s all I’ve ever really wanted to do,’’ he said.

“I used to watch the AFL on television and tell all my friends that I wanted to be an AFL player.

“My mates used to laugh at me and say ‘yeah, right’, but that only made me want it more and spurred me on to try to prove them wrong.’’

Redman, who models his game on his lookalike, Essendon utility Brendon Goddard, said he “wanted it that badly’’ that two years ago he asked a retired personal trainer to design a pre-season program for him.

His fitness regimen included running 1km bursts on roads near Millicent while his dad Joel followed behind in his car timing him. Redman just ran and ran, stopping locals by doing his best Forrest Gump impersonation.

‘’I’ve never considered myself super-talented and felt that I’d have to work really hard to make it,” Redman said.

“Luckily I’m starting to reap the rewards of the work I’ve put in.’’

Son of Lobster farmer. Enough Said.

Are you just doing a cut and paste?

Where are the highlight videos? AFL.COM?