#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

Got it!

um… ?

There’s a reason Radio 3DJR don’t typically refer to McKernan and McGrath and McDonald-Tipungwuti and McKenna (and McKenna) and McBride and McQuillan and McIntosh.

At least we kicked out McNeice.

3 Likes

you mean McKeice?

Keice eyyyyyyy!! :smirk:

I miss him.

be this:

1 Like

If youre Chris Franklin at present your best mate is named thus

he’s my spirit animal

RESON MADMAN

3 Likes

Want him to bury that flopper Walters

1 Like

Essendon Mason Redman is catching crayfish for work back in his home town

Bomber Mason Redman has packed plenty into the AFL’s season pause, returning to his home town to quarantine before taking on a new venture - and he admits he is much more comfortable on a football field.

Jon Ralph , Herald Sun

April 9, 2020 8:08pm

Essendon’s emerging defender Mason Redman might be the envy of every casual angler this week after heading home to go fishing with his old man.

For the 22-year-old from Millicent, South Australia, fishing is hauling in monster crayfish rather than throwing in a hand line from the end of the local jetty.

Redman was out on his father Joel’s fishing boat today in perfect conditions as he took advantage of the season pause to head home to catch up with his family.

For the sticklers out there Redman is certainly playing by all the rules, having completed a 14-day isolation as a precaution after crossing the South Australian border even though he beat that deadline.

Mason Redman and his father on their crayfishing boat. Picture: Supplied

Picture: Supplied

He admits he is much more comfortable on the football field, with his 20 games in a breakout season exciting Bombers fans given his stout intercept marking and tight defence.

But if you are going to be prevented from playing footy, why not haul in the kind of “bulls” like the 3-4kg monster the Redmans took from one of 87 pots they dragged in on Thursday.

“My Pa started the business in the mid-1980s and now my uncle Scott runs one boat and dad runs one too,” he told the Herald Sun from the town 50km north of Mount Gambier.

“This morning we got up at 5am and were on the water by 6am and then we got in at about 2.15pm.

“My dad is running 87 pots so we pulled them and then re-set them. Some come up blank and some have lots in them. Today we took in about 180-200kg. The one in that photo might be 3-4kg but most are around 600 grams to 1kg.

The monster Mason Redman hauled in. Picture: Supplied

“Dad already has a deckhand so when the pot comes in he throws me the two bait baskets form the pot and if they are empty I fill it back up. If every day was like today I would love it but in the past I have got seasick.

“At this stage I definitely am not swapping careers any time soon…”

With China again opening up its borders for seafood, Redman Fisheries is supplying a strong export market at a time when Australia is trying to keep as many industries open as possible.

Redman says the shutdown will be a silver ling for the Bombers.

He battled an abdominal injury along the lines of osteitis pubis in the pre-season and while he just made Round 1 the break will help him as well as recovering teammates Joe Daniher, Dyson Heppell and Cale Hooker.

MORE AFL NEWS:

McKenna reveals plan to quit AFL

Sacked: Day Stevie J and Chappy punched on

Former Saint cops two-year drug ban

Top 20: How do you split Sticks, SOS, Kouta and Judd?

Media feud: Giants’ Twitter beef with AFL website

“I wasn’t able to have the pre-season I would have liked but this period will allow me to catch up and go past where I was fitness-wise,” he said.

“But it’s almost the longer this break goes on the healthier we will be and that goes for every team. When the competition does resume the standard will be really high. I think it gives us the building blocks to hopefully have a good year.”

Essendon’s Conor McKenna confirmed he would leave the club within two years, with Redman at least buoyed by the level of engagement when the line-breaking half back arrived back from Ireland after recent homesickness.

“He came back from his break really buying in and really happy to be back. It helps having two other Irishmen at the club doing really well and whatever Conor decides, everyone will be right behind. First and foremost we are his mates and we want what is best for him. Ideally we want him playing footy because he is a jet but whatever decision he makes in the long run we will be happy for him.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/essendon-mason-redman-is-catching-crayfish-for-work-back-in-his-home-town/news-story/9fc18a7d9255f58af5b8e24d7a7caf75

10 Likes

reson madman

1 Like

Good to see him keeping active and helping out his family with their business. Footballers these days can become institutionalised and have very little concept of the real world and 9-5 work, which can be a problem once their retire or are forced out of the AFL system. This time might end up being beneficial for their perspective and life skills if used correctly…

6 Likes

I really like how down to earth Mason is. He is always hilarious when he speaks, always tough and giving 100% on the field, .

Love that he is really supportive of his teammates, great guy to have at the club, best sort of country boy.

Dodoro gold.

9 Likes

Very quickly becoming my favorite player.

( well just behind Tippa )

6 Likes

Dodoro turning half back flankers into mids

1 Like

FK off Dodoro. Just stick to recruiting.

Redman has been versatile right through his juniors, I recall him playing a ripper game in the midfield in the reserves in 2018. @theDJR might have a better recollection of the game I’m thinking of.

I recall seeing him trialled in the midfield (for quarters and halves) in several reserves games in 2018 before his call-up to the ones. Lower level obviously, but he performed really strongly in the role, as far as I could see.

2 Likes

A large part of recruiting is to see what potential a player has, not just in terms of their ability but also their suitability to play different roles. l value Dodoro’s opinion on this matter higher, than the value l place on yours.

5 Likes

Sweet