#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

It’s tough getting a kick playing small forward. He doesn’t have the tricks or raw pace of someone like Fanta, Walls or Greene, so maybe that’s not his role long term. I think he needs to put on some size as a priority so he can be used in other roles.

Pretty underwhelming on the weekend. I hope he gets a chance to back up next game and show what he can bring to the table. But the table was pretty bare on Sunday

What’s his spot? Did begley go past him in one game (hell in one quarter!)?

Yep.

But he is contracted through to the end of 2019, so we clearly see a footballer in there somewhere. And he does good things when he gets near it. Just needs to find it more.

His workrate was pretty good form my observations last year; he gets to plenty of contests. He needs to learn to find space in the forward line better, but that’ll come with experience.

Pretty underwhelming on the weekend. I hope he gets a chance to back up next game and show what he can bring to the table. But the table was pretty bare on Sunday

Yep.

But he is contracted through to the end of 2019, so we clearly see a footballer in there somewhere. And he does good things when he gets near it. Just needs to find it more.

He did the dont argue again, this time with his knee. Left the Suns guy writhing in agony on the ground . Seems like Mason knows how to look after himself.

Agreed on the first bit - really want him to play JLT3

We’ve been lucky recently with kids coming in and impacting from day dot, Most take time, I’m confident this bloke becomes a solid football for us.

Begley has a physique much closer to an AFL player. Redman is still a skinny kid who generally does things well, but at this stage needs to get more involved. Give him some time.

I reckon he will transition into Goddards spot.

Which is pretty much an anywhere man.

Smart player. Good user. Good mark & endurance.

I dunno though what is his attribute that stands out? I don't think he is a very good mark, isn't overly quick, isn't strong and isn't a great kick for goal and is mid size.
I miss Hirdy.
Hirdy was a great mark and incredible reader of the play.
You'll note reading the play was not in the original post... and he certainly wasn't a conventional great mark. Never clunked one in his life! The soft hand initial tap was pretty neat though.

Alright but my overall point being that most players that make it at afl level have at least one attribute they are really good at. Most of the slow guys are great readers of the play, weak guys usually have great skills, some lacking good genes and good skills have an intensity and aggressiveness higher than everyone else etc. I struggle to see what Redmans is. He might be an elite distance runner or something though not sure.

I dunno though what is his attribute that stands out? I don't think he is a very good mark, isn't overly quick, isn't strong and isn't a great kick for goal and is mid size.
I miss Hirdy.
You'll note reading the play was not in the original post... and he certainly wasn't a conventional great mark. Never clunked one in his life! The soft hand initial tap was pretty neat though.

To reach Hirdy levels of brilliance, Redman needs more redacted

I miss Hirdy.

Look this guy might be one that doesnt come on for a few years due to needing to play against men for a longer period of time. Happy to keep in the 2s developing. Not everyones going to break out between 19-21

I dunno though what is his attribute that stands out? I don't think he is a very good mark, isn't overly quick, isn't strong and isn't a great kick for goal and is mid size. He seems to have good work ethic they say but i just can't see him having a standout attribute which you need at the top level imo. Plus that role we have laverde, francis, langford and begley who all have 10 years in front of them as potentially mid size half forwards.

Thought his field and goal kicking were supposedly very good and marking good?

Redman is the new Jerret who is the new Dyson who was the new Bullen

Heard a rumour we are trading Redman + 3rd rounder for Fyfe!

This bloke alive?

1 Like

Still has alot of potential, but whether he can crack into our stacked forwardline (that still sounds so weird to say) is hard to say. Green, Stewart, Francis, Howlett, Hocking and Laverde (when fit) are probably ahead of him. Could be handy in a trade at seasons end if he wants more opportunity at senior footy. He seems like a likeable kid as well

Won’t be traded, had his contract extended ahead of time so highly rated within club. Freak athlete and got plenty of footy smarts, just needs physical development.

I think he will end up much like his lookalike Goddard … Utility type … playing more mid/fwd.

4 Likes

Who would trade for him? He’s worth literally nothing

To be honest, I doubt he’ll make it. Hope I’m wrong

1 Like