#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

Considering my post was the only one stating I don’t think he will make it, it’s not hard to work out who your aiming that post at

Thread title updated for consistency.

1 Like

l thought there was more than one. Then again l may have been confusing this thread with others, where similar things have happened. l don’t usually pay attention to who is posting what, so my reply is directed at the content, not the Blitzer posting it.

No longer welcome

I think the thing is we need to remember it’s Rd 2 of his second year. Most people wouldn’t have had a look in yet. It sorta feels like he’s been around for 3 and a bit years to me. In reality it’s fractionally over one.

He played two games (was it?) last year, one which he did absolutely SFA in a frantic game he wasn’t up to and another where he only did a couple of nice things in a game we should have won. The club, on the back of this (and obviously his VFL form and training track form) gave him a TWO year extension half way through his first. That’s a huge vote of confidence, they see something in him clearly.

Although obviously there’s a laundry list of player who were rated internally but never made it, but you get my point…

4 Likes

Yes^^. That was my thinking too. I don’t think we’ve seen anywhere near enough of him yet to make a call, and with the club showing the faith to contract him as they have, and the fact that they do know all there is to know about him, I find it ■■■■■■ odd that any of us on the outer would come to any conclusion on him at this point.

1 Like

Not sure what I was expecting to read when clicking on the Redman thread, but now I know he lacks the attributes and will never make it. 2 games, 19 y.o…he’s had his chance! Good to know.

4 Likes

To be fair, sometimes it does feel like posters should be justifying why young players will make it, rather than the reverse. History indicates that if you’re taken outside the top 5 or so the odds are not in the player’s favour. Questioning if a young player will make it is hardly being unfair when he hasn’t obviously shown his ability (hopefully ‘yet’).

2 Likes

Can play! Will make it! Fark the haters!

Don’t have a clue, too early to tell, club seem to think he’s worth it.

Good enough for me.

I remember Blake Caracella was unsighted in his first 2 years. Gary O’Donnell probably his first five. Some kids take time. Does that mean he’ll make it. No idea. But l’d never write a kid off after a year.

5 Likes

My Glenelg mates still reckon he is the most talented junior that has come out of the club and a couple of guys involved in the SA junior program are very bullish on him and their advice is to cool our jets because in a couple of years time he will really reach his potential

5 Likes

What did they say about your son John Butcher?

2 Likes

I can’t see why anyone’s really crazy about him one way or the other.
He’s OK. Neat enough, decent size, seems to run out games. Bit Jackson Merrett ish though.
Round 3 of his 2nd year though, get over yourselves.

I liked what i saw of him, seemed like a confident, exciting young kid that popped up everywhere.

Im sure we will get to see more of him this year and he will get his chance to show his development.

Relax! There’s no haters!

Everyone knows he is crap. I will give him plenty of stick next Thursday when we play them

I see him being a Tom Lynch from Adelaide type player if he develops.

I could be and most likely am, totally off though.

BIG
JOHN
BUTCHER

1 Like

Does he live?
Life has got in the way of late and I haven’t been able to consume as much footy as I previously did, can regular VFL watchers please give an update as to how his progression is going?