#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

Redman has the x factor. Reminds me of steve johnson. Great overhead, good kick, capable of the unexpected.

hmmm, wish i saw that.

3 Likes

Look harder :grinning:

Iā€™m with Ivan. He seems like a hard worker with decent all round skills and athletic ability, but perhaps no standout attribute.

He hardly got a touch in the VFL playing as a forward this year, and did much better when played as a defender. Considering we need small/mid sized defenders, I reckon thatā€™s where his future lies.

3 Likes

Which is it?

For me Iā€™d be pouring midfield minutes into him at VFL level next year. Heā€™s spent time learning forward craft and defensive skills. Midfield is the next to add. Long term of be looking for Goddard or Kelly roles. Happy to spend long periods on the flanks, but also roll through the middle.

So yes, utility. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very different player, but he reminds me of Elliott Kavanagh in that he is good at everything, but great at nothing.

Many draft experts held him in great esteem, and said we did well to get him where we did. As they did when we recruited Kavanagh. The hope was that if he can elevate one area of his game into the elite category heā€™ll be an exceptional player. Heā€™s yet to do that.

1 Like

Spot on. Spent a lot of his junior footy at Glenelg as a midfielder. Iā€™d be getting him to play as a HFF floating through the middle

1 Like

In that case, he reminds me of me!

I am great at doing nothing.

4 Likes

They are now!

2 Likes

Yes, I thought Iā€™d heard that too.
If true then reasonably happy with how he seemed to develop more consistency- his first season was a mix of the very good and the gone missing.
Still looks a bit like a junior BJ so a position may arise in 2019 if he can develop this year.

I thought he looked very good down back. He is a quality user of the ball, has some height, and isnā€™t slow. Has to prove himself further, but I think he could be a good option in 2018 as a small back.

4 Likes

Didnā€™t overly see it myself, thought he was terrible mostly struggling to have an impact whatsoever up forward. Down back he looked a bit better showing some glimpses and flashing in and out but I havenā€™t seen many complete games from him and his few good games arenā€™t overly dominate. I feel people are grossly over estimating his value down back, and If Iā€™m being honest Iā€™d be more surprised if he wasnā€™t delisted in 3 years. Good luck to him tho, you sometimes never know how players will jump one year from the next at his age.

For what itā€™s worth, I rate Mason. He seems a talented player with good skills, decision making, overhead ability, pace, and determination. Didnā€™t find enough footy as a forward, so moving back obviously helped. He does have a bit of x-factor, can take a nice mark, and occasionally explode through traffic, all of which are valuable traits at half back these days.

4 Likes

A smokie for round one?

In the VFL?

5 Likes

Mason can play, but weā€™ve been short on openings for half backs.

I reckon heā€™s a bit average. Goes missing for huge periods in games, and thatā€™s not good. Heā€™s got good competitiveness, but Iā€™m not really sure what standout traits he has to be a AFL player. To be honest I wouldnā€™t be suprised if he never amounts to much, heā€™s never really shown a great deal IMO

5 Likes

Well heā€™s got a two years left to show something, so fingers crossed I guess.

Heā€™s no star thatā€™s for sure.

Thought he showed more in a wing than half back.

Needs a good run with injuries here out or he is going to find it tough.