#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

May not be a star but every side has role players. Need look no further than the Tigers who seemingly got by with more than most.

Redman has elite endurance, great footy smarts and good ball use.

Hasn’t had an opportunity at senior level, originally came to club as a HFF type & been switched to a HBF, this may be his chance.

2 Likes

He debuted in the horror year and showed a touch but was severely undersized. Let’s give him time and then see what he shows. Feel like people are writing him off prematurely.

1 Like

I just would have liked to have seen him in the JLT. Is there some other reason why he didn’t play? I just can’t imagine why gametime would be given to players with less future like Jerrett & Long particularly given we know that Baggs is near the end & McNeice isn’t exactly a proven replacement. I thought he looked next best after Begley as far as the VFL boys from last year.

4 Likes

Has safe hands. I like that in a defender.

1 Like

Agreed. Odd omission.

I think defence is the right area for Redman but it’s perhaps more a stopping role than an attacking HBF role. He is good overhead and is super competitive, but really needed the body which seems to have filled out reasonably well now. Has neat disposal. I still seem him as a good prospect but he certainly needs a consistent year.

1 Like

Agreed that and the omission of Langford in JLT 2 were strange decisions.

He always looks OK to me without ever really standing out.
I could see him being a pretty competent, vanilla-as-all-get-out 100 game guy for us.

If this was true, and I wouldn’t know so I’m not suggesting this is wrong, but he is quick so all these attributes combined would ensure a long successful career.

I would have him in ahead of Langers

I can see this Raisin Breadman becoming toast.*

• Could be “of the town”.

The way our injuries are looking, they’ll both be playing and one of them will be captain.

1 Like

If Redman is playing early then BOY OH BOY we’ll be in trouble.

I’ve watched Redman enough now to know he is a pretty complete package in terms of physique, skills and attitude etc. He really has no apparent weaknesses that are holding him back.
He just doesn’t get the ball enough.
Some players get it a lot, but aren’t that good when they get it (think NOB), and others look great but for some reason just never get it enough - I used to think that about Jackson Merrett in his early years and hoped it would come to him, and it never has. Eventually it became apparent that he lacked animal aggression and a thirst for the contest (IMO)
Redman at least doesn’t lack that.
Who knows what is holding him back.

3 Likes

This is true, Jack Reiwoldt is the best role player in the AFL.

1 Like

He’s chunked up a fair bit - I reckon about 8 kg of muscle. He has good endurance, and a huge heart.

As big as Phar Lap ?

I posted this in May 2016, and I still think it is a problem:

I just think he lacks a little bit on reaction times and agility, and it could mean he doesn’t make it.

I watched the VFL highlights package. He got a goal himself and 2-3 assists from what I saw. The match day thread seems to indicate he played quite well. With McKenna possibly not playing and the necessity for changes, surely he gets a look-in.

Does anyone else think this is likely?

1 Like

If Irish does cop 3 or 4 then it would be the perfect opportunity to see what Redman can produce.

Hasn’t exactly been knocking down the door, but his form is decent and he’s fit.

4 Likes