#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

Mase did play well. Collected plenty of the footy in the backline and then moved forward in the second half and kicked a goal. Can easily see him and/or Jacko in this week.

1 Like

He doesn’t lack effort, that’s for sure.

1 Like

We don’t give kids a decent go at Essendon. We back dads army

4 Likes

who is this guy?

Thought I would relay a conversation I had with Mason Redman last week. Cracking guy by the way

So we talked footy and I said “How are you finding the transition of moving down back”? His comment was very interesting.
He said" To be honest I never was a forward as a junior. I only played 4 games up forward…just happened to be in the TAC Cup end of year. So all the draft highlights were of me as a high forward. I was kind of Pigeon holed as a forward but in reality I didn’t know what I was doing and hoping players would help me out on tricks and movements. I love playing back and feel more comfortable in the role now".

Now I didn’t say this to Mason but these are the kind of stories that just give me some caution with youth development at Essendon. I understand we would of known he did play back as a junior but where is the communication of where Mason wants to be developed on field? Unless the club said we need forwards and he just put up his hand to try and please/get a game. 2 years into the system and we then finally put him in the place he plays his best footy. Francis we know has a similar story.

Why are we playing kids with size away from their strengths early? You could go back to early days of Hurley, Carlisle etc. Anyway just got me thinking

32 Likes

Very interesting post CJohns, thanks for sharing.

We all like to think the coaching staff are superior minds and there is a reason for everything, but staff leave clubs and get sacked all the time, so yeah, they get things wrong.

With that in mind, full credit to Woosha for sending Cale back last week.

1 Like

Ooooohhhhh, Mason is a HBFer.

Now it all makes sense.

Prior to Hooker experiment, Walla, Langford, Laverde, Green, Fanta coming through, Stewart, Joey ramping up…we were a little short on forwards and since Redman looked a likely type and size, he was tried up forward. The experiment was relatively short-lived, and he has since been played predominantly down back. Doesn’t seem too sinister to me.

1 Like

Define short lived

1 Like

Cant the simple reason his highlights were of him playing as forward, is due to the fact those were his highlights. If he had highlights playing back they would be in the highlight reel.

He was drafted high on the potential shown as the mid/fwd with a big tank. Rather than a HBF.

In this case - not that long, relatively. He did a stint of games playing forward, then had a sprinkle swinging forward/back - around the time that he had that tremendous run down the wing, the double don’t argue, and 50m screamer, then eventually settled at HB. He hasn’t been ‘forced to be a forward’ for the last 3 years.

Everyone’s highlights are of them kicking goals. Watch Hurley’s next milestone vid most of it will be goals. No one gives a ■■■■ about spoils except spud.

3 Likes

I like spoils. It’s all part of the game and when done well and stops the opposition’s attack it gets the crowd up.

1 Like

Where is this kid at? Is he gonna get a chance soon?

2 Likes

Most spoils should be marks. Only when you’re 3 players deep should you spoil. Hence why the golden fist is a stupid award you dinosaur (spud)

Personally i would say Redman has predominately been placed as a forward for his first 30 games in VFL/AFL.

I would say Laverde is still currently placed as a forward though being known as a half back/wing/mid in TAC. Played just a few games forward.

1 Like

McNiece, Francis, Ridley, Zerk, Gleeson, Saad, McKenna, Redman, Langford (?), Hartley, Ambrose

No wonder we want Langford/McGrath/Guelfi out of there. I’d love to see Oirish move to the wing, also.

1 Like

Golden fist? I’m too scared to google that at work.

Spoils are a key part of a match, it’s about using the appropriate option for the situation. If it’s a mark - do it. If it’ best to spoil - then it’s a golden fist spoil.

1 Like

First case in point. The greatest defender of all time, Alex Rance. Often flings his body to the ball and punches the ball to the boundary when he could mark.

Is playing forward to help develop him to play as a backman? And visa versa for forwards going back.

As said in other threads, it’s about the coaches and players having clear discussions. And the players not afraid to ask questions. They have their debriefs and line coaches and whatnots. They can’t become routine “yeah yeah I get it, no probs coach”. It has to be open dialogue from both sides.

1 Like