#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

Happy to speculate about this one. Reckon from here on we need to beat up easily on the lower sides and win 70:30 or better against the top sides.

As I have said all preseason itā€™s all mental with this group.

The game plan stacks up, the players are there, itā€™s just whether they believe.

He still looked highly promising throughout 2017. He just needed to develop his body and learn his craft a bit - he had a tendency to be over ambitious at times, which led to some horrendous turnovers (and, it must be said, the odd sublime moment too). Now he seems to know his game a lot better and his decision making is near perfect. Moving him to the back line during 2017 helped too. Iā€™m sure he could make a useful forward but heā€™s much better suited to half-back or wing; I can remember him being switched to a wing mid-match on a couple of occasions and turning the game.

1 Like

Add BZT to that.

6 Likes

I told you this would happen, didnā€™t I?

5 Likes

Pretty much how it played out.

Kick to kick between the arcs.

Agreed but players now need a number of strings to their bow and we seem to have a surplus of talented players for half back and, of which very few would have the size, robustness, aggression, pace and skillset to play midfield. For me, in time Redman stands out as a potential attacking midfield bull, certainly at least rotated through there. Obviously, excellent as a backman too.

1 Like

Your point has merit but the counter argument is similar to the reasons for not moving McKenna into the midfield. You might gain some aggro in the middle but lose some run and kicking penetration.

McKenna is perfect for his role as a skilled and explosive backman. Thatā€™s his niche. Redman is a totally different beast and to use the talent we have, some players who have the ability to play multiple positions effectively will need to be used for this to enable less versatile but equally talented players a role within our best team ie. Marty Gleeson.

1 Like

I can see a Blake Caracella type player in him but struggle to see him in a midfield bull role. Probably a lot to do with seeing him and Ridley walk past us at the VFL and they looked like a couple of my kids friends. :grin:

1 Like

He was really ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  good.

1 Like

Gleeks to HB
Redman to wing
Parish to inside
Myers to VFL coaching

12 Likes

Iā€™m starting to like the Damien Hardwick comparison.

5 Likes

Seriously good footballer

1 Like

Redman needs to be around the ball more, so Wing would suitā€¦ need Shiel giving it to Redman instead of kicking himself. Weā€™d be a 5 goal better team

2 Likes

I like the idea of Myers helping with development after he punches his card.

1 Like

Redman strikes me as a good reader of the play thatā€™s in front of himā€¦ a good runner / distributor of the footy when running in straight lines. Wing, half backā€¦ yes. Inside mid is a little more dirtyā€¦ itā€™s more about quick 360 vision and distributionā€¦ very different to half-back. Not sure Redman has demonstrated those abilities yetā€¦ he could do though, as heā€™s a smart baller.

2 Likes

one big problem. woosha

Or before.

2 Likes

Was at the vfl today wearing one of the worst jackets youā€™ll ever see. Thankfully decision making on field a lot better