#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

Woosh loves Gleeson and he will be played ahead of Ridley IMO. Ridley got the spot for now but only a matter of time.

Gleeson will need a decent run in VFL first however

AND, none of them are coming off a serious ankle break like Marty is.
Granted, Redman had a pretty bad ankle injury himself, but itā€™s not affecting his current form.

I really just donā€™t see how he gets back in.
Anyhow, it is the Redman thread so let me talk about 2 wonderful kicks he did on Thurs.

1. The kick to Joey 20 seconds before H/T was sublime.
    Looked like he was going long, then just pulled the kick 10m shorter when he saw JD.

2. Late Q4 - hemmed into the boundary with Coll in great defensive position.
    Sees Tippa leading into a hole of space and kicks it perfectly.
    Seriously, how many games has this guy played, like 10 at the most ?
    Fkn exciting !

2 Likes

Seeing Redmand and Ridley slot into our backline seamlessly has reminded me how much I donā€™t miss Gleeson.

He is weak in a marking contest and often ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  himself.

Yes he showed some good intercepting capabilities in the second half of 2017 but has many flaws

3 Likes

This isnā€™t true.

13 Likes

Nonsense. Marty ainā€™t a perfect footballer, but he certainly does not lack courage.

6 Likes

I donā€™t mean that he lacks courage. but he is easily pushed off the ball.

The Rohan instance in 2017 personifies this and certainly isnā€™t the only reason I say this

1 Like

Agree. He lacks size, but not courage.

I think all some people think of when you mention Gleeson is the mark that Rohan took. Believe it or not, other players have also been outmarked in contests before!

2 Likes

Some of them legally, too!

That should have been paid holding the man to Marty. Essentially got tackled out of the way.

6 Likes

People have short memories on Gleeson. He is a good player.

11 Likes

Any chance we try Ridley, Redman or Gleeson in the middle?

Heā€™s a really good player. Itā€™s just that a lot of people on this forum have a thing for only wanting to play young guys with 10 games under their belt over anybody with experience because they ā€œhave a higher ceilingā€.

1 Like

Redman and Ridley will develop into midfielders. Gleeson will remain a defender. Room long term for them all of we donā€™t get narrowly focused on them only being defenders.

2 Likes

Redman is good enough to play on the wing now. His delivery inside 50 would be a massive weapon. I think weā€™ll see him playing there more and more as the season goes on.

3 Likes

More rubbish.
Rohan did the same to Hurley.

6 Likes

And it should be a free kick against for wrapping arms around & lifting off the ground

2 Likes

Oh no, he rag-dolled Hurley way worse.

Makes Marty look tougher in hindsight.

3 Likes

Hurley must be a squib, then.

3 Likes

Heā€™s more of a squib than Squib Squibington.

1 Like

Damn straight.

[quote=ā€œSpeedy_Gonzales, post:1721, topic:2869, full:trueā€]
And it should be a free kick against for wrapping arms around & lifting off the ground

Absolutely!!! I still get cut if I think about that one.

1 Like