#28 kav!

KAVANAGH%20Elliot.png

...3 games

KAV?

I just finished rewatching the Freo game (rnd 3?) and even though Kav didn't have a huge game, I believe he helped turn the game. After a poor first half, Kav was instrumental in the 3rd quarter turnaround. He set up 2 goals and kicked one himself. This was the first 3 of 5 big goals that quarter. From memory that was only his second match and he was unfortunately dropped for the following match. I don't think that was a smart move.

In the VFL I seem to recall that he didn't get over about 17 poss. in his last 10+ matches. Can tackle and makes good decisions but needs to get more of the ball.

The kid can play. Just needs game time and a bit more strength/size.

Hope to get 12-15 senior games into him next year. 

Has been brilliantly managed by the club in my opinion, came to us with injury concerns and has been carefully managed all the way.

Next year we will start to see the reward of that.

Kid will be a star.

I just finished rewatching the Freo game (rnd 3?) and even though Kav didn't have a huge game, I believe he helped turn the game. After a poor first half, Kav was instrumental in the 3rd quarter turnaround. He set up 2 goals and kicked one himself. This was the first 3 of 5 big goals that quarter. From memory that was only his second match and he was unfortunately dropped for the following match. I don't think that was a smart move.

In the VFL I seem to recall that he didn't get over about 17 poss. in his last 10+ matches. Can tackle and makes good decisions but needs to get more of the ball.

couldn't agree more. he had some really important touches, won the ball and would just put in into a dangerous position for his teammate to run on to.

has a little bit of footy under his belt now. will start to step up in 2014.

The one thing you couldn’t ever accuse Essendon of is impatience.

Hope he gets a crack next year. We need a good news story, him and guys like Browne/Merrett/NO’B/Gleeson coming through could really provide that.

a victim of the most outrageous deliberate out of bounds decision in the history of the game (compare that to hodge blatantly soccering it off the ground to the boundary 10 meters away on centre wing in the GF)

Has been brilliantly managed by the club in my opinion, came to us with injury concerns and has been carefully managed all the way.

Kid will be a star.

lol gee, this post kinda sums up essendon supporters completely overrating their players. For mine at this stage has shown less than what the hope was for him when he come to the club. His undersized, doesn't get much of it and hasn't shown anything for mine, which is fine. But saying 'kid will be a star' is pretty far fetched based upon what we have seen so far.

Kid will be a star.

lol gee, this post kinda sums up essendon supporters completely overrating their players. For mine at this stage has shown less than what the hope was for him when he come to the club. His undersized, doesn't get much of it and hasn't shown anything for mine, which is fine. But saying 'kid will be a star' is pretty far fetched based upon what we have seen so far.

Completely agree.

I hope he will be a star. But so far haven't seen any blistering pace or footy smarts (like Merrett has shown). But the one thing we must remember is he was a long term prospect so next year is where we would hope he starts to show his wares a bit more before 2015 when he needs to be stepping up.

Kid will be a star.

Completely agree.

I hope he will be a star. But so far haven't seen any blistering pace or footy smarts (like Merrett has shown). But the one thing we must remember is he was a long term prospect so next year is where we would hope he starts to show his wares a bit more before 2015 when he needs to be stepping up.

Wow. That was the absolute stand out about the kid when he did play. No huge numbers, but great vision, great poise, and made good decisions.

Kid will be a star.

Completely agree.

Wow. That was the absolute stand out about the kid when he did play. No huge numbers, but great vision, great poise, and made good decisions.

Adding to that, those smarts in what a lot of people said was the best win (freo), helped turn the game, but whatever long term prospects don't exist for essendon.

I want to believe this kid will be a player, but to be honest, I just don't see it. After a couple of years, I still don't know what stand out qualities he has that will see him become an AFL regular. To me he looks unobstrusive in that he doesn't do much wrong, but also his influence on the game is minimal. Hopefully 2014 will be a breakout season.

Kid will be a star.

Completely agree.

Adding to that, those smarts in what a lot of people said was the best win (freo), helped turn the game, but whatever long term prospects don't exist for essendon.

Just my thoughts, think he will be a star. I'm not basing that on his output so far, just glimpses I've seen at even VFL level. 

Where Heppell just burst onto the scene, Kav! will be the sort that needs to put everything together first. It will take time.

Don't think I've overrated him, just what I've seen makes me think he has enormous upside.

Hmmm ... I think "star" potential might be a bit of an overreach.  Kav has good decision making skills and disposal, but lacks a bit of time at the top level and perhaps a bit of pace.  He doesn't seem to have any attributes that really set him apart from others.  I think at his best he could be a Chris Heffernan type - a solid, but not outstanding, contributor.

Kid will be a star.

Completely agree.

I guess people see different things. I thought he was ok and did some deft touches. but a touch here and there is not much to go on. I saw it consistently with Merrett. Just need to see more to be convinced is all.

I guess people see different things. I thought he was ok and did some deft touches. but a touch here and there is not much to go on. I saw it consistently with Merrett. Just need to see more to be convinced is all.

Yep, we do. I like what I see from him, although I sometimes wish he would come on faster. But as long as he does I'll be happy.

Yep, we do. I like what I see from him, although I sometimes wish he would come on faster. But as long as he does I'll be happy.

I think part of it is Saladin and DJR's comments on him. Their opinion carries a bit of weight as they are such avid VFL watchers. While I have faith he will come on, I don't like hearing will be a star as Essendon supporters are prone to over-rating their own.

Courtney the Messiah Johns anyone ;)

Would like to see him given 4 games in a row early in the season to prove he belongs.

Would like to see him given 4 games in a row early in the season to prove he belongs.

And at least 3 of those not as the sub. Needs the experience of a full game rotating through the midfield, but the past few years he just has not had a clearly defined role in the senior team.