Mitch Brown - The Accountant

I think just like when few wanted him on the list that he remains underestimated. Might be tougher with Stewart looking likely as 3rd tall forward for him to get chances but I still reckon he’s a good option up front.

Surely he gets a go in the ruck before we say he’s only depth :wink:

I’d have brown before Stewart … sure the guy looks like he doesn’t have any intensity but I have no confidence that Stewart can take a grab.

We have seen at least brown clunk a few and kick some goals, plus he has shown he can play down back so is reasonably versatile.

I think he is depth for a fully fit squad but he is handy depth

Giving the selectors something to think about

Is a backmen, have said all along. Just need to fit him in…

Is a backmen, have said all along. Just need to fit him in..
Choosing who out of Hartley, Brown and Ambrose should support Hurley will give the selectors nightmares.
1 Like
Choosing who out of Hartley, Brown and Ambrose should support Hurley will give the selectors nightmares.

No it won’t. Hartley will be the first picked after Hurls. The decision between the other two for the third tall, on the other hand.

Yup.

Just as I’d consigned him to depth only… he comes out and plays a great JLT2.

For mine Hurley and Hartley are #1+#2 (assuming Hooker forward works)
I think you do need a 3rd ‘tall/utility’ and then 3 running HBF’s.

It seems the selection headache will be whether Ambrose or Brown fills the role (Ambrose was awesome in JLT1) OR whether you use guys like Goddard/Langford/Francis as a utility down there rather than take the 3rd key defender. I presume it will be a case by case matchup selection each week.

1 Like

He is the ultimate backup player, can play either end, can play on a bigger player without being compeletely smashed can play a smaller third tall role

His kicking is probably the thing hat really lets him down. Especially for goal.

I can see him coming to fill slots throughout the year but he definelty not core 22 for me.

1 Like

I think the deciding factor will be the other team. If the have a weak tall forward line then Ambrose doesn’t play. Choose someone more attacking. But if the have a strong tall forward line, or a really dangerous suitable forward (e.g. the Sun’s Lynch) then use Ambrose.

2 Likes

Yes, agree with this, he really knows his way around the backline and has racked up some pretty big numbers on more then one outing. Ambo is a shut down defender but doesnt offer anything else.

Brown just looks more comfortable in defence, reads the play better in the back half, and is able to get more involved.

3 Likes

You are looking much better on this new BB site Captain Jack!

1 Like

Is definitely a better defender than forward from my perspective. I personally have him above Ambrose but below Hartley.

No doubt there will be injuries so all will get a go and they all will get an opportunity to cement a spot.

1 Like

I have the tall defenders in this order Hurley, Brown, Hartley and Ambrose.

Hurley and Brown are currently more rounded players. They can both defend but can also get the ball and use it well (Hurley is better than Brown) so they present a much bigger problem for the opposition than Hartley and Ambrose currently do.

As a result, I would be selecting those two first and then one of Hartley or Ambrose depending on form and match ups.

To me Brown is more useful as a third tall and I’d only use him as a true KPP if we had injuries. His speed and agility for a tall guy means he can match up on a few different types and his reading of the play and intercept marking are going to be much more dangerous if he doesn’t have to watch one of the opposition’s main forwards. Not to mention he has been monstered a few times playing on power forwards as he isn’t all that strong.

Defensively I’d have him below both Hartley and Ambrose on pure stopping ability, however he has a better offensive side so is more balanced. Brown as third tall and Hurley combined with one of the others means we’d have two rebounding tall players (to combine with our smalls). Hurley, Hartley and Ambrose means we only have one. Of course there might be games when we need three hard lock down players, but overall I’d say his marking in defense and neat foot skills give us a point of difference we are lacking if he is replaced by a Hartley/Ambrose combination.

4 Likes

Definitely agree - plus his versatility to push up the ground and pinch hit forward, particularly if we need Joe.D to relieve Leuey in the ruck now and then, is absolutely vital. For team balance he gets the nod for me over Ambrose

1 Like

I really liked his game tonight. His ground ball work seems weakish… but a good descion maker and can defend well with a good kick.

What i found interesting is he was continually pushing up into the midfield as an outsider looking for the handball from centre bounces… it seemed odd to see him around the ball so much… i think he looked good there. I was wondering if this is the direction the coaches want to take him as a tall outside mid of sorts?

2 Likes

Was good I reckon.

1 Like