Mitch Brown - The Accountant

Same might be said of Hartley V2017. Both can be pushed aside by gorilla forwards. But I believe Brown has better judgement as to when to spoil, when to go for his marks and when to zone off. However, Hartley is getting games and is still quite young. If Hartley keeps improving and stops infringing his opponent so much Brown will probably remain as a depth player.

Mitch Brown is a very good 3rd tall defender. If allowed to float around and intercept mark he is very dangerous.

Unfortunately for him it appears that we are further slimming Hurley down to move even more into this role. As such, I just cannot see Brown getting the spot he is best suited to play.

Take Brown out of that 3rd tall defender, and try and put him in a different role, then he becomes only serviceable. I’m unsure if that will be sufficient to see him get consistent games. Having stated that, we have 3 excellent KPP, and there is room for 1 more. Anyones guess who steps up and gets it… or perhaps nobody does and we are still looking for an answer at the end of 2018.

Yes, 3rd tall defender, probably if Marty is out and Francis is not ready. One of Browns good attributes is his mobility; he even played as a wing at VFL level and he demonstrated this in 2016, when he often moved right up the ground while Joe “rested” in the square. As a defender in a press / zone he would be effective as a tall mobile interceptor, but I have not seen enough of him down back to see if he can lock down when required.

I think he’s a cut above David Flood who I thought was pretty useless.

Backup

Brown’s major attributes …
Ability to play in multiple positions.
Interceptor
Strong hands
Mobile
Athletic

The bloke is 27 and in his prime.
I expect him to be best 22

“In 1993, despite participating in the Semi Final and Preliminary Final wins, Flood was omitted from the winning Grand Final side.”
If Brown is as useful as Floody you should be happy.

5 Likes

The fact he racks up possessions like a HBF’r but can play on the taller kpf’s is huge. As is his flexibility to go fwd.

Really interesting to see how the defensive unit comes together. Each have their own strengths.

Hurley obviously a lock. But how Hartley / Ambrose / Brown all fit in a big unknown. With Francis also going to come into consideration IF he can get his body right (hasn’t thus far)

Kept Plugger in his prime goalless, with a bit of help from Wally; not many FBs around that time can make the same claim

1 Like

Mitch is a very skilful player who unfortunately is as robust as a mankini made of crepe paper.

6 Likes

Cue the Borat jpeg,

So most forwards these days are double teamed like Plugger was that day…how good would he be in this era of footy? genuine question, not questioning his greatness.

When it comes to robustness and physical presence, Brown is the anti-Ambrose,

2 Likes

Granted Brown played 4 games in ‘17 but “Mr Durable” only managed 10 with a quad … just saying

I think Brown would also be the Stewart replacement if he goes down. I actually like him forward as well, he is a good kick for goal.

2 Likes

Not that its a necessity, I like the 3rd tall defender to have some damaging rebound qualities. Fletcher with his elite foot skills seriously was the perfect 3rd tall. Brown to me ticks alot of boxes as a 3rd tall but seems very stop/start with ball in hand and just chips it around safely. Not sure if he has a huge scope for improvement in this area either.

2 Likes

Brown reminds me of Peter Cransberg.

Tallish, mobile, versatile, doesn’t lack talent but unfortunately injury plagued.

3 Likes

Just to confirm my understanding. Are you saying Flood is something for Brown to aspire to because Flood was dropped for a GF?
Also, note that Flood played 4 games in 1993 averaging under 12 possessions and 1 tackle per game.

Flood>>>>Kickett

1 Like

If Brown can help us win two finals to make the Big one then he’s matched Flood’s worth to the team.

1 Like