Mitch Brown - The Accountant

I guess we need to agree to disagree on how we rate players.

Yep, agree to disagree.
Though Bomber Billy has hit the nail on the head re my reservations about Brown.
Maybe he can improve this aspect of his game.

Is Brown fit/ready to play on Friday night ?
Some have pencilled him in, some say he is not available yet.

Confused, Melbourne.

1 Like

He’s not listed on our injury list from the afl site updated yesterday

http://m.afl.com.au/news/injury-news/injury-list

Loved his game tonight, was in m votes. Courageous, backs into traffic unquestionably. Well weighted kicks by foot too. Was really impressed by him and Hartley tonight.

10 Likes

Agree. Thought he was great. Contested marks, good disposal and kept his man quiet. If he had a fashionable hair cut and a Tarzan physique Bruce would be waxing lyrical. If he can keep this up there will no more calls for Hooker back.

Was sensational for 1st game back for a long time

Jenkins understandably got hold of him a few times strength wise but generally his defensive work was great. Positioning for spoils, courageous marks.

I’ve always been on his bandwagon. Hopefully he can stay fit as we need him to.

2 Likes

Look he was solid last night but Jenkins got a hold of him a bit. Also he can’t farking handball. Like seriously, there were a couple of times where I was shocked by how awkward he looked trying to do it.

Regardless, despite a very rusty Hurley the 3 tall back set up looked good

1 Like

I always forget how long a kick he is. Can really roost it.

He’s good depth. He came in, and did a solid job in the role he was asked.

He’s not best 22, but he certainly makes life a bit easier when there is an injury to somebody who is.

2 Likes

Basically a play-off between him and Hartley for one spot in the backline once Ambrose is right to go again. That’s just my opinion. To me the coaches prefer Paddy in there. Brown is an awkward player but he’s got some courage and can also get plenty of ball back there.

Number two key back for me, his game sense is much better than the other two.

4 Likes

Not going to lie, when he payed on I thought that was his neagle moment.

Apart from that he played really really well

5 Likes

A couple of brain fades but I like him in the team. Good hands and a pretty reliable kick

Did ok last night. Not sure why he was playing on Jenkins anyway, surely Hartley would have been a better match up size wise.

Was wondering the same myself. Other issue I have with him (& Paddy) is that neither of them can handle the big blokes like Buddy or Hawkins & this is where Hartley has a size advantage over both of them.
Otherwise every time we play the Swans or Cats, we have to use Hurley on them & sacrifice his own intercepting game to play on these gorillas, which stuffs up our whole defensive structure.
Need to persist with Hartley I reckon, with Brown as depth

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure because out of AMbrose, Harts and himself he is comfortably the best intercept Mark and reader of the play. Given Hurls is still a fairly poor overhead mark I’d say Brown may be best 22 on balance.

Time will tell.

2 Likes

Out of Brown and Harts, Brown is definitely the safer option. But, a Harts with confidence blows both Brown and Ambrose out of the park in marking and disposal. Actually Hartley’s disposal is pretty good even when he’s down.

Thought he was excellent his courage in the air was great as well. He has better footy smarts then both ambrose and Hartly. Which makes him a better interceptor and offensive player then both. Tonight I thought he did very little wrong defensively. Got out muscled a couple of times, but unless Hooker plays back this is going to happen to any one of the three.

If he can have a good run with no injury’s I think he is the better player of the three. But matchups also play a role in team selection, and Id rather see Ambrose play on the revolt types then Brown.

All three are quality but none of them are guns like Hooker/Hurley

2 Likes

What we need is to do is turn the 3 into one.
Harts height and disposal
Browns footy smarts
Ambrose strength and tank.

1 Like