Mitch Brown - The Accountant

And Baguley fwd + Green

4 players most of blitz had put a line through

Not that all 4 did anything significant mind you

Ran 15K, 10 kicks, 2 HBs 9 marks 1 goal.

Did his job & will play seniors again next week.

4 Likes

Brown is a swingman. One week forward, next week down back. So he also has a defensive mindset.

McGovern had one intercept mark. Unacceptable for a very highly rated intercept marking defender.

Was McGovern just playing badly, or did Brown cancel him out for the 3 quarters they played in the same part of the ground?

2 Likes

He is a bit of a battler but he offers us some depth and flexibility. A great addition to the list over the time he has been with us. The recruitment of him, Mckernan and Hartley have allowed us to focus on other areas of our list. Clever recruiting decision imo.

2 Likes

Yep, and add in Ambrose and Stewart to that list too. Weā€™ve had a decent amount of value from our talls. Paid next to nothing for all of them.

2 Likes

Heā€™s fkn average but who else we got? Itā€™s a REAL concern stewart has fallen off the Face of the earth and Brown has taken his spot

4 Likes

Stewart hasnā€™t fallen off the earth. He is basically a very tall flanker. So until we run a forward line that requires one of those again, or he learns to play as a genuine tall attacking target (which would require a skills upgrade like what they are trying to do in the magoos now) he will not be a part of the ones bar injury you wouldnā€™t think. Jimmy needs to play to his size.

5 Likes

He has fallen off the earth alright when Brown is getting a game as a key forward in front of him. The fact Mitch brown gets any kind of forward role over jimmy atm speaks volumes of how ordinary stewart is going at the moment. The role brown is playing is barely different to what stewart has been playing, and even still, stewart in form, in any kind of role, is more valuable than brown who is nothing but depth

They should have a look at Stewart on the wing and on ball (not Ruck). I reckon heā€™d run up big numbers in the vfl playing a midfield role. Heā€™d be a massive weapon as an embley style wingman who could take a swing at tagging the likes of Cripps and Fyfe as the need arises. I donā€™t think Stewart will ever be a good pairing for JD as a key target

2 Likes

I thought Stewart was showing a bit early on this year being more contested and being able to handle more responsibility up forward. Up until Joe was taken out of the team, I thought Stewarts form was pretty decent, if not better than last seasons. Iā€™d back Stewart to turn it around in a big way next season when heā€™s got Joe to provide some support.

Honestly Iā€™m not sure that dropping Stewart was the right decision, Iā€™d rather persist with him and try to make him add another string to his bow, even if he is just being a tall forward who can bring the ball to ground, but Browns been doing pretty decently and I cant see him getting dropped.

1 Like

But Stewartā€™s not in form and Brown is playing better at the moment. Seems like a good time to work on those other things that reboot has mentioned

I know heā€™s got pace but what sort of distance has Stewart been covering when in the 1ā€™s?

I agree with all that the poo jogger said.

15km in some games

1 Like

I think Mitch isnā€™t getting enough credit here. The blokes body is as flimsy as a wet tissue so very rarely gets a solid run at it. But he isnā€™t afraid to put it on the line. Heā€™s a great mark/reader of the play and for the better part his kicking is pretty good too.

I reckon weā€™d be stuffed without him atm too.

8 Likes

An heā€™s not all that flimsy. Last 2 injuries have been the same ankle injury that Redman has. Just bad luck with contact rather than inherent flimsiness.

I thought Brown was pretty good last week but wowee we need someone better

Iā€™d prefer Stewart who was being double teamed due to Joeā€™s inability to get anywhere near it playing injured

He had a rough trot down here at the Cats. Although I think his last stint was caused by a screw protruding where it shouldnā€™t in his shoulder. Not ideal.

Underrated, I reckon. No star but very capable when fit. Pretty handy job occupying and at times beating McGovern, which was pivotal.

4 Likes

Another solid game. Just throwing his body into everything

2 Likes