Mitch Brown - The Accountant

This bloke lives and bleeds red and black.

His running ability is seriously underrated, would love to see a comparison between his GPS numbers and Stewart’s when he was in the seniors.

2 Likes

There are not many sweeter ways to spend a well-earned 50th game than a dominant 43-point victory over a flag contender to keep your season alive.

That’s what Essendon’s Mitch Brown did in the side’s blistering win over Sydney at Etihad Stadium on Friday night, and it was a just reward for a decade of effort.

Selected by Geelong with the 15th overall pick in the 2008 National Draft, Brown’s career never got going at the Cattery, but Essendon saw plenty of value in the versatile tall.

Brown took the field 21 times in his first season as a Bomber, immediately eclipsing his 15 total games for Geelong. And while he couldn’t maintain a regular spot in the stronger side last season, he wasn’t going to let it hold him back.

Lining up in the forward line since his return to the senior side in round 12, Brown has been a revelation for the team, booting 12 goals from seven games and providing endless options for his teammates.

“(I’m) pretty proud, it’s been a long ten years, so it’s been a long time since I was drafted,” Brown said after the win.

“I’ve had a few injuries along the way, but I finally got here and I loved it.

“Three years ago I probably thought I wouldn’t get there. I was stuck on 15 games for a bit, but I’m loving it.”

And he didn’t let anyone down in the brilliant victory, gathering 14 disposals, eight marks and two goals including a long-range bomb to ■■■■■■ the lead and give the team a huge boost after the half-time siren.

“That was massive for our momentum into the second half,” he said.

After losing key forward Shaun McKernan to a season-ending hamstring injury last week, Brown’s role became even more crucial on Friday in the continued absence of star forward Joe Daniher, and he was thrilled with the way the forwards covered the loss.

“Obviously Horse (McKernan) is a massive out for us, he structures us up nicely, but with me a Jakey down there I thought it worked pretty well this week as well.”

A crucial part of the side’s outstanding second half was the forward group’s ability to curb the influence of intercepting Swan Aliir Aliir, who was clearly Sydney’s best in the heavy loss.

“Alliir and Grundy were taking a few intercept marks in that first half which made it harder for us forwards,” Brown said.

“So we tried to engage him (Aliir) a lot, me and Jakey in that second half, and I thought that worked well.”

The Bombers were simply dominant, generating an astonishing 72 inside-50s to Sydney’s 39 and 34 scoring shots to 16, and Brown said it was one of the best victories he’s been a part of.

“It would be up there for sure. Obviously with Sydney being such a good side it sets our season up, so hopefully we can get a few more wins and push our case for finals.”

Essendon’s race towards a possible finals berth is gathering serious momentum and the side faces its next challenge against Hawthorn at the MCG next Saturday.

1 Like

So pleased for this guy. He was important in the ban year, answered the call and he’s important right now. Understated, unsung and highly effective. He’s kicking goals at crucial moments.

6 Likes

Keeping Stewart out of the team

Thanks for that Nostradamus

2 Likes

Footywire statistics had him as 100% Time On Ground.

I looked at his season history and he has regularly been getting up to ~95%.

Maybe that is part of the reason his GPS numbers are so good. He rarely comes off the ground.

I thought blicavz was the fittest who ever fitted.

He works seriously hard on the field. Just keeps presenting and presenting up the ground and in the 50.

It’s amazing what a injury free run can do for a player. His time at the Cats was destroyed by injury and even at Essendon he has had some bad ones.

2 Likes

Nah. That’s Langford’s dad.

4 Likes

It was great to see him leading at the ball carrier and not always trying to work back towards goal out the back. It just gives us better options, especially up around half-forward. Mitch has been a massive surprise down there. He’s got that Kent Kingsley style shuffle of a running gait which doesn’t make him look particularly athletic, but he covers the ground well and he has good endurance.

1 Like

Well there no need for that type of language essendonfc.com.au.

6 Likes

could have had 4

Runs hard, good footy brain - helped turn the game around. Proving to be an important player. After an injury riddled career I’m rapt for him.

2 Likes

■■■■■■ is one of my favourite movies.

Our most important player ATM. If he goes down, our team structure will be stuffed.

2 Likes

I don’t know if people realise how important he is to us.

The best Spud to ever spud it up for us.

1 Like

The Kevin Walsh moustache would remind me to call it a draw in the best spuds stakes at this stage.

1 Like

Mitch Brown’s dad and McPhee’s dad featured dining in this one.