Mitch Brown - The Accountant

I do hate it when posters on an Essendon fan forum talk down our players.

FFS it’s preseason. Try some optimism.

Of course he could play in the ruck.

4 Likes

That same risky double ruck set up that greatly helped win the WEagles a flag last year? The same risky double ruck set up, that dominated Grundy, and has coaches rethinking structures over the pre-season?

1 Like

Won’t happen.
If Joe plays, two of McKernan, Brown and Stewart play magoos.
No Joe, one of them does.

8 Likes

Does anybody think with the new 6-6-6 starting positions and no spare defenders, that playing 3 strong marking tall forwards might give you an advantage? Especially if a team is a little short in defence? Just a thought.

That rule only applies for the center bounce, doesn’t it?

Assuming you can create a stoppage (now simplified as the ruck can grab the ball at the bounce, and it is not assumed prior opportunity), it’s not that hard to revert to old structures.

Can players leave the 50 as soon as ball is bounced? If so it’s like an extra second for a fwd to get to the contest.
SCG won’t even know the difference as the square and 50 are connected.

Yes it does. I’m not sure teams will force a stoppage so they have time to get an extra man back. It’s kind of like backing yourself to lose. I could be wrong though. Will be interesting to see the strategies around it.

Yes i think so. I’m talking about when when you get a clean clearance and are kicking the ball inside 50 to 1-on-1s then it might not be bad having 3 tall forwards.

1 Like

I completely agree. Especially if one or two fwds lead to the flanks. The space inside 50 will put pressure on defenders.

1 Like

Ha, I knew I should have started that pisstake with my usual “to be fair”.

I do see the two alternating forward and mid.

I’d rather he concentrate on footy rather than trying to sew garments.

7 Likes

Especially during a game. Even if it is only JLT.

If he’s picked for AFLX that would be a good time to do it

1 Like

What if he gets a stitch or there’s some needle in the game?

4 Likes

His spot in the team could be hanging by a thread

3 Likes

I’d like to see him bobbin up more than he has been.

3 Likes

Having Brown in makes it easier to rotate the KPPs and Bellchamber; it doesn’t have to be a 3-tall forwardline with him. Some posters here reckon he can play wing, if he actually can, more the reason to have him in with Daniher and McKernan and Stringer. He doesn’t make us too tall, he gives us more flexibility.

1 Like

He’ll be unpicked from the team pretty damn quickly in that case!

1 Like

Child labour sweatshop.
Amirite guys?

Our fwd line structure is a interesting one. Its important to get the balance right. WC’s two key fwds apply a huge amount of defensive pressure compared to many other teams in the comps KPF’s. This is an area where we need to improve. If you are a 3rd tall, you had better bring relentless pressure. Players like Stringer, Brown, and Stewart are 3rd talls either they apply the pressure or play elsewhere.

1 Like