Mitch Brown - The Accountant

Yeah it’s a pointless argument in the end. The choice between those 2 will always come down to structure, not who is a better footballer. They both have good qualities. All sides would be stoked to have them as forward line depth. They’d be best 22 at some clubs also.

1 Like

I wouldn’t exactly call Alessio a star, either. And he played 150?, mostly in very very good sides.

Brown reminds me of Brody Mihocek at the pies.

Not blessed with talent or obvious attributes but works hard, is reliable in front of goal, rangey tall type and can play in defence if needed.

Both are valuable to their teams and hopefully Brown can take us one step further than Mihocek went last year

3 Likes

Unselfish, too. And can drop back if required.

Just what you want from a squad/fringe player.

1 Like

Seriously under rated? Sounds like it.
l rate him, and he is still on the improve.

4 Likes

I reckon his injuries were a big reason he didn’t have a consistent career, not his input on the field. He is not talented as McKernan but McKernan has that inconsistency you are talking about - the gap between his best and worst is bad. Before the start of this season, I was reluctant to have him in the best 22 because of that, despite him showing consistency last before his injury last year – but he did have bad games in that period, goalless in a couple of games IIRC – but I got sucked in the hype. He started in a typical fashion, two crap games before the Melbourne game and the injury.

Brown in last season was a model of consistency, and he doesn’t need to be talented to provide that input or to be in the best 22, which I think you are arguing about.

All I know is that Brown and McKernan have been consistently good AFL players for almost 1 year now. That’s all that matters in the present.

Honestly how lucky have we been with KPP since 2007 when Merv Keane took over the head recruitment role?! Recruitment is one thing but all of McKernan, Brown, Stewart (sort of) have developed fantastically since being at Essendon despite almost being on the scrap heap.

3 Likes

Never forget that Cam Mooney is a triple Premiership player

2 Likes

Add Chris Dawes, David Hale, Quentin Lynch, L Brown etc etc.

1 Like

Ruckman, especially second ruckman. I give a pass, most of them are quite crap and the good ones rarely win Premierships.

Cam Mooney was Geelong’s main man in the forward line, which is mind-boggling.

And he made AA in 2007.

Was that the year Pav was AA CHB?

Not as simple as that. Smith couldn’t get into the 22 at GWS in 17. Was our best and fairest in 18. Is there that big a talent gap between the squads? Shouldn’t he be in with that group too? No. Was nearly AA. Smith just a better ‘fit’ with us. Brown and Ambrose also a great fit.

3 Likes

No, that was 2002, his first AA selection.

He seems to be on a winning formula running 15km a game, why bulk up, he’s not going to our FF or CHF.

2 Likes

Mooney had a good year like the rest of their team that year…but it’s an absolute joke that he was selected. One of the more mind boggling decisions over the years.

You all make very good points and I have my doubts but believe me I would like nothing else than to see him as a Premiership player with the EFC.

2 Likes

on a winning formula getting dropped every few games?

if he bulked up a little bit he could add contested marking to his arsenal which is what he really lacks.

Or he could lose his running ability, which is what he’s got.

2 Likes

Some also just simply don’t have the build to fill out much. Eg. Fletcher

1 Like