Mitch Brown - The Accountant

Fwiw I do remember Brown being larger when he was with geelong, he is better now than he was back then imo.

Funnily enough, he’s the exact sort of player geelong need in their forwardline atm

1 Like

Henneman?

We won every game that he played

2 Likes

He looked OK as the 3rd banana backman, in his first few years.

He just never got any better than that, which Sheedy just couldn’t accept/recognise.

Even that is a bit of a stretch. But man, Sheeds gave him every opportunity to prove himself.

1 Like

you dont automatically lose your running capactiy if you put on a few kgs of muscle.

Haha, yes we did.

You see, your argument falls flat because you claim, by watching games of footy you’re both qualified and capable to remark on a player. This assumption is incorrect and like our “mates” in the media, you have an opinion but it’s accuracy is debatable.

Re: Brown, he’s a step up from your garden variety role player. He has elite endurance, accuracy in front of goal, can and does put his body on the line and is very consistent/reliable these days. My view is he’s super important to the success of the team although I expect Stewart to one day take his spot in the team… that’s my opinion.

6 Likes

Totally agree with this assessment.

1 Like

Exactly. Reckon Blitz sometimes too focused on the weaknesses in our players… Brown’s a cracker because he has the endurance to run to spots where he can mark uncontested.

We have put together a good list, partly because jackets/coaches have accepted the weakness in every player and tried to make sure that weakness isn’t replicated too often elsewhere.

Brown not a contested mark - String and JoeDan are. Hep and Myers slow, McGrath and Shiel quick. Shiel and Hep kicking poorly… give it to Zerrett, Lang instead. Ambrose has endurance, Hooker stays home etc. You see it all over the ground - rarely do you get two guys next to each other who share the same weakness.

7 Likes

As you do , I too have my opinion, so what’s your point ?

My point is I’ve seen almost every game live the club has played over the last 20 years or so. Brown has played 58 games in almost 11, years of AFL football. From what I’ve seen my opinion is he’s just an average footballer, an inconsistent one at that who is now in his late 20’s and it’s fair to say his best years may well be behind him. The club in fact only think he’s worth a one year contract when they signed him late last year.

Now I don’t claim to be an expert but I have a right to make a point on a player.

So as I see it your opinion counts but mine doesn’t ? Yeah right. This sight is full of people’s opinions no ones is more relevant than anyone else’s.

FFS !

Nup. It’s your assertion that you’re, “qualified and capable” of remarking on a player that I challenge which is, in my view, different to having an opinion on said player. Everyone has a opinion and right to express it, but it’s how that thought is expressed that makes or breaks an argument.

1 Like

FFS it’s back to school is it?

This is a farcking chat sight don’t be be so farcking petty. And if it gives you the shitts I’ll keep expressing myself just like this. By the way wasn’t seeking your challenge I was only making my point which I am entitled to.

Freedom of speech isn’t dead yet.

2 Likes

Absolutely! And truth be known I’m not looking for an argument. Just jumping to the defence of a player I rate highly.

2 Likes

That doesn’t explain why he looked good in 2016.

Outside of 2019, has Brown ever been dropped by Essendon when playing as a forward? I thought he’d only been dropped when playing as a back.

That was daylight robbery.

Injury robbed him of chances to build on his games tally, but he is tracking nicely now he is at EFC, and barring injuries could well top 100 games, which makes him no slouch. His best years? Well last year was his best year, but last week was his best week, so we can’t accurately predict what his ceiling is, or how far he could go this season, or next.

4 Likes

I never have anything personal against players. If I call them rubbish or average it’s only in the football sense. It should never be seen as a personal attack.

That said, I hope I’m proven wrong and howled down form everyone on this site. As stated above I would love to see Brown, Myers, Ambrose, Baguley as EFC premiership players.

I belive they have all reached their respective ceilings, and their careers over the journey have not been at a consistently high enough level for them to become premiership players.

But I desperately want to be proven wrong.

You mean apart from 2 weeks ago.

1 Like

His entire time at Geelong was affected by ongoing shoulder issues. If you’re going to talk about how few games he’s played, you can’t just ignore the fact that the first half of his career was ruined by injuries.

He’s also played 42 games in 3 and a bit seasons with Essendon, with a couple of serious injuries along the way. The only season at Essendon he struggled for games was 2017, when he had several bad ankle injuries that forced him to miss most of the season.

Don’t cherry pick stats without providing context

4 Likes