#29 Patrick Ambrose -- forward or back?

Essendon Football Club has elevated rookie Patrick Ambrose to the senior list ahead of the club's season opener against North Melbourne on Friday night.

Ambrose has been upgraded to the senior list in place of Alex Browne who has been placed on the long-term injury list following knee surgery.

The 22-year-old was recruited to the club's rookie list from Essendon's VFL team in the most recent rookie draft.

Ambrose has impressed with his athleticism and willingness to learn throughout the pre-season campaign looking to provide a target in the forward line in the club's recent practice match against Richmond.

Acting General Manager of Football Steve Alessio said it was exciting news for Ambrose.

"We could not have been more pleased with the way Patrick has applied himself at training since we drafted him in the rookie draft," Alessio said.

"He is a great athlete with both endurance and strength and we think his elevation to the senior list is a great reward for all of his hard work."

Browne joins big man Tom Bellchambers on the club‘s long-term injury list.

Bellchambers today took significant steps in his recovery from ankle surgery taking to the track to run for the first time.

Ambrose now looks likely to line up in the Bombers team to take on North Melbourne, with the team to be named at 6.25pm on Thursday night right here on essendonfc.com.au.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-03-20/ambrose-elevated-to-senior-list

I would like to see Paddy Ambrose play as a third tall down back. Reckon he could do a decent job especially with this strength.

Is a better player running forward than at the ball.

Ambrose for half back?

Must be confusing for Ambrose to follow messages from that many coaches.

Needs to do exactly what the coaches ask him to do, which he is.
Yes thats true, but dont Blitzers all pretend we are coaches.
Needs to become more selfish, more ball hungry, run his opponent until he cooks him, then find space so that our mids have to kick to him. Stay out of packs with Jake and Joe , scout them instead. Maybe he has to go down into the 2s to add this dimension to his game. Have a chat to Stanton to find out how to run into space. Stanton bobs up all over the ground demanding the ball, maybe 10-15 times in every game. When Ambrose gets the ball he kicks accurately. Needs to start demanding it.

Problem is, in the 2’s there are no JC & JD - he’d be the big rooster.

Needs to do exactly what the coaches ask him to do, which he is.

Needs to become more selfish, more ball hungry, run his opponent until he cooks him, then find space so that our mids have to kick to him. Stay out of packs with Jake and Joe , scout them instead. Maybe he has to go down into the 2s to add this dimension to his game. Have a chat to Stanton to find out how to run into space. Stanton bobs up all over the ground demanding the ball, maybe 10-15 times in every game. When Ambrose gets the ball he kicks accurately. Needs to start demanding it.

Like his attitude but forwards kick goals. Too many games where he doesn’t touch it inside 50. Could be coach’s fault, but still your a forward. Mark ball…kick goals

I would like to see Paddy Ambrose play as a third tall down back. Reckon he could do a decent job especially with this strength.

Is a better player running forward than at the ball.

Ambrose for half back?

No one seems to lead out in our forward line. One of the best forwards in the game lead out a lot: Jack Riewolt led out a lot last night, but for a relatively poor return 1.2

As we know, a lead out forward gives an option and removes 2 players from the ball drop if the ball comes in long to the square.

As for Ambrose, I see him over and over again being outmarked in packs by Joe or Jake. Just perhaps , he should be instructed to lead out ( or stay out of the pack, ) instead of trying to outmark Joe and Jake.

That is when the guy is actually in the forward line when the ball comes in.

I think he has many attributes to be a good AFL player. But I don't think any of them are suited to the role he plays.

He’s just too short to do any rucking at all, it’s a liability. He has a fair crack at it and he’s improving, but his height and lack of any substantial leap means there is a limit to how competitive he can be.

He’s not a great mark, and while he’s a great set shot, he doesn’t get many.

He doesn’t really tick the boxes for what you want out of a third tall / medium forward. Certainly not in our team anyway.

I still think he’s a player though, and he does pretty well for a guy not suited to his role.

yep i rate the kid, but at present we have way too many players who offer really good output in one area, and fall off in the rest.
we need better all round players.
but also the roles these guys are expected to play are shithouse.

at present we have him and jmerret who’s sole focus seems to be carrying the defensive work, while having little impact offensively.
that’s ok when the other 4 forwards are in form and playing well.
Daniher is still developing so he will be up and down from week to week.
carlisle is whatever the ■■■■ he is, somewhere between potential superstar and broken fragile bacforward
Chappy and cooney are experienced players but just aren’t what they used to be.
Howlett fits the mould of ambrose and jmerrett, great in the hard defensive aspect, offers little offensively.
and Zac merrett is also developing and is probably the standout forward so far this year.

so of the main 8 guys who rotate prodominately through the forwardline we have 3 who offer very little offensively, which puts more strain on the other guys and doesn’t allow any of them to have off days. but again daniher is still developing, carlisle isn’t a forward but is being forced.

so we are relying on 2 guys to carry the forwardline and hope 1 or 2 others play well.

the mix is all wrong imo, we need players who offer both ways, not just one. offence or defesively it doesn’t matter. everyone needs to pull their weight equally. if they aren’t doing it in one, then they should be dropped and made to perform both roles.
that applies to carlisle and daniher for lack of defensive effort, and chappy and cooney too.

I think he has many attributes to be a good AFL player. But I don't think any of them are suited to the role he plays.

He’s just too short to do any rucking at all, it’s a liability. He has a fair crack at it and he’s improving, but his height and lack of any substantial leap means there is a limit to how competitive he can be.

He doesn’t really tick the boxes for what you want out of a third tall / medium forward. Certainly not in our team anyway.

I still think he’s a player though, and he does pretty well for a guy not suited to his role.

our centre stoppages looked better with ambrose there, than with peachambers.

That’s a whole other discussion…

our centre stoppages looked better with ambrose there, than with peachambers.

I think he has many attributes to be a good AFL player. But I don’t think any of them are suited to the role he plays.

When he is played in the forward line, he goes ok, but he is not a ruckman, and the attempt to turn him into one, has not worked. Either leave him forward, or bring in McKernan to give Belly a chop out. Both are possible, although people will then cry that we will have too many talls in and be too slow. Ambrose in the forward line will bring something we presently lack, pressure on the defenders, and Ambrose would still be quicker than Chapman, taller, better contested mark, stronger in the air and just as accurate a kick.

What the hell is he?

Bewildering use of him by Hird.

Hasnt worked for last month.

Time for him to be dropped & find form as a lead up forward in 2’s.

He wouldn't get a game in a top side.

I disagree, i think he would be excellent in a top side
He is an extremely reliable set shot, has pretty good hands and would get much much better delivery
In a top side i could see him being a very good 3rd tall
In our side not so much

The thing is, he barely plays fwd anymore. Literally spends 20% a game there.
The rest in the ruck or in the middle.

Bring in SMACK as relief ruckman and keep this man in the farking fwd line.

I think Ambo needs to go back to the vfl and learn to play as an actual forward bring him back when he is having 4-5 shots a game on average The things he does are great team orientated acts but he has to be more damaging

Leading onto this, if he can work on his craft in the 2nds for a few weeks we can see if his defensive acts are missed by the senior team. Right now I think playing a second ruckman is more critical to the team than having a defensive style forward

Agreed, i dont think he is fast/agile enough to be a great defensive forward
He certainly doesnt create any perceived pressure like a davey does for example

He wouldn’t get a game in a top side.

He wouldn't get a game in a top side.

I disagree, i think he would be excellent in a top side
He is an extremely reliable set shot, has pretty good hands and would get much much better delivery
In a top side i could see him being a very good 3rd tall
In our side not so much