#29 Patrick Ambrose -- forward or back?

If round one was next week he’s a lock. I don’t see how Brown could be considered above him off pre-season form so far.

Hurley, Hartley, Ambrose will be a good defensive unit I think. And the ball shouldn’t be going down there near as much this year compared to last where Ambrose and Hartley stood up well. They’ll now have Hurley to help them out.

Is good at keeping up with his man and spoiling. Not so good at anything else (kicking, marking etc)

you mean not good at the fundamentals of the game?

Zac Dawson has played in multiple grand finals off the back of defending.

He’s one bloke on our list who I just don’t see it with, whereas so many other good judges of talent clearly do.

Nothing at all against him - love his aggression, his effort and he even seems like a top bloke - but I think that, as a medium defender in the modern game, you need to have more tricks than simply being able to negate your opponent.

I’m by no means writing him off of course but atm he just seems like a stop-gap solution until we find a better alternative; hopefully Francis/Ridley/whoever can take over the role sometime sooner rather than later.

He wasn’t playing on medium forwards last year. He was playing on guys like Lynch.

Incredibly limited player.

Shouldn’t be getting games IMO unless we have injuries.

Really costs us when trying to attack and even defend due to him being of average speed and below average skill.

Tries hard though.

I am assuming sarcasm, seeing as Darcy Moore had 3 kicks and a mark…

He wasn't playing on medium forwards last year. He was playing on guys like Lynch.

Yes but this is actually kind of my point - do we think that he’ll be playing on guys like Lynch once again this year, now that Hurley and Hooker are back in the side?

Even if Hooker stays forward, you’d have Hurley and Hartley taking the key talls, with Ambrose left to take the medium forward, which I’m not sure he’s cut out for.

He wasn't playing on medium forwards last year. He was playing on guys like Lynch.

Yes but this is actually kind of my point - do we think that he’ll be playing on guys like Lynch once again this year, now that Hurley and Hooker are back in the side?

Even if Hooker stays forward, you’d have Hurley and Hartley taking the key talls, with Ambrose left to take the medium forward, which I’m not sure he’s cut out for.

If Ambrose is able to blanket Lynch, which he did a far better job of than Hurley in the past, why wouldn’t you okay him and let Hurley play on the second or third best for forward in order to create a mismatch?

Ambrose doesn’t have to get a single touch to be of value to the side.

1 Like

If Ambrose is able to blanket Lynch, which he did a far better job of than Hurley in the past, why wouldn’t you okay him and let Hurley play on the second or third best for forward in order to create a mismatch?

I’d rather have our AA key defender take the opposition’s best key forwards than Ambrose, who battled manfully last year when we had zero other options available.

I’d rather have our AA key defender take the opposition’s best key forwards than Ambrose, who battled manfully last year when we had zero other options available.

I’m the opposite. I’d rather see Ambrose completely negate one of the top opposition forwards and take them out of the game. Then have Hurley on the 2nd or 3rd guy and being able to drift off and set up plays going forward.

I’m the opposite. I’d rather see Ambrose completely negate one of the top opposition forwards and take them out of the game. Then have Hurley on the 2nd or 3rd guy and being able to drift off and set up plays going forward.

This so much. Ambrose is a good negator but offers very little attack wise. Let him clamp down the opposition gun forward and allow Hurley to run and carry and set up play

This

Like others have mentioned, if Ambrose can shut down the oppositions number 1 key forward then who gives a rats if he is only good for 6 touches.
If that means Hurley can take on the 2nd or 3rd tall then Hurls may have the luxury of playing a bit loose and can create drive out of the backline which is a win win

Plus Ambrose is what, 25? In his second year in defence? Plenty of time to learn new tricks

Just reminds me of Slattery. Great lockdown, bugger all else.

Incredibly limited player.

Shouldn’t be getting games IMO unless we have injuries.

Really costs us when trying to attack and even defend due to him being of average speed and below average skill.

Tries hard though.

I am assuming sarcasm, seeing as Darcy Moore had 3 kicks and a mark…

Darcy Moore is not a star though (at this point of his career) and averages about a goal per game.

I thought Ambrose had a good game and beat his opponent. He is quite limited though and gives nothing the other way. We will need a lot more run out of defense than we had last night.

For me I can’t see Ambrose holding a spot in the best 22. Happy if he proves me wrong though.

On stats, Ambrose often beats his opponent.

He provides no drive out of defence, his next mark above his head will be about his first and is a very average kick.

He may be instructed to be this type of role player, but for me benchmarks were defenders like Gibson and Lake, who not only nullify opponents , but take many intercept marks, read the play very well, and then their defensive work into attack.

Paddy does none of this. Francis or Brown may be better options

Hes just a solid defender and defensive minded.
He will go up to spoil his player, run with his player and hassle them all night I actually couldn’t give two fks if he doesn’t get a kick or intercept many marks as long as he’s keeping his player to sweet fark all I’m happy with that. Remember last year was the first time he was taking on bigger players. He may easily grow into this position and naturally progress to having the ball in his hands more and attacking

On stats, Ambrose often beats his opponent.

He provides no drive out of defence, his next mark above his head will be about his first and is a very average kick.

He may be instructed to be this type of role player, but for me benchmarks were defenders like Gibson and Lake, who not only nullify opponents , but take many intercept marks, read the play very well, and then their defensive work into attack.

Paddy does none of this. Francis or Brown may be better options

How many Gibsons and Lakes are there though?
(Close to) every club has a key defender who provides little offensively.
Sydney - Grundy
Hawks - Frawley
Fremantle - Dawson
Geelong - Lonergan
We can afford 1 guy like Ambrose provided he’s not a complete liability with the ball in hand (which is probably borderline at this stage)

If Hurley is on the oppositions 3rd best fwd they will just drag him out of the play so his value in an attacking sense will be negated.

If Hurley is on the oppositions 3rd best fwd they will just drag him out of the play so his value in an attacking sense will be negated.

Hurls is not going to fall for being dragged out of the play. He will read the play and run off his opponent and go to the contest when risk permits it.

As regards Ambo, he gave away 7cm against Darcy Moore , who is supposed to be the player Collingwood are building their forward line around.

Just like most of last year, our mids failed redress the stoppage dominance of Collingwood to redress the resulting flow of I50s. They beat us 50 to 37 on the back of clearances . Basically Collingwood should have beaten us by 5 goals but Darcy Moore only took 1 mark total in 80% game time.

If Ambrose role was to shut down Moore. He did, like he consistently did with tall forwards and power forwards last year.

1 Like