#29 Patrick Ambrose -- forward or back?

So does Woosha

1 Like

Patty.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s been a coach who isn’t a fan of Ambrose. He’s the sort of player coaches love

1 Like

Agree. Has been very ordinary for a fair while and don’t think has the runs on the board previously to demand a spot straight back in

If he spends too much more time out of the seniors there’ll be Courtney Johns levels of hype to get him back in.

1 Like

I don’t get the love for Ambrose, whilst he has done some pretty good jobs on occasion he isn’t anywhere near a star backman like he is made out to be. I like Hurley/Hartley/Hooker. Ambrose needs to build up some form in the reserves before or Hartley needs to get toweled up imo

GG, thats going to be too tall for about half the clubs, who are moving to 1 or 2 tall forwards and 5-4 medium small fast, agile and mobile forwards. Its becoming more a question of when Francis, Ridley and Zerk Thatcher start playing in the AFL. If Francis was available and playing OK, the Hartley/Ambrose debate might be over, and Ridley is getting close to being ready.

If Hooker stays back I think it’s a pretty simple solution.

Hooker and Hurley always play.

We use Hartley or Ambrose as a lockdown defender. Which one depends on the opposition. There might even be the occasional game where we decide we don’t need either of them.

Brown only plays if Hooker or Hurley is out.

Brown/Hartley/Ambrose
Intercepter/Spoiler/Negating Terminator

Very different beasts.

2 Likes

Hartley is not just a spoiler anymore, he has taken a lot more marks this year.

True, he has, and that makes him far more valuable.

1 Like

I think Hurley plays smaller than those 2 so is a different beast…been playing off his man a lot filling in for Gleeson

Average 4.8 marks last year.
Average 4.3 marks this year.

lots more marks.

3 Likes

Huh? When he was injured last year many were saying he looked like becoming our #1 KP defender (from a stopping perspective).

1 Like

Bar Franklin beating him on one leg, I thought Ambrose was good (consistent) last year

Still I think he should play based on matchups now that Hooker may be switched to the backline full time

That Franklin performance does stick in your mind though.

I felt before the event that Ambrose on Franklin would be a solid match-up for us. Yep, I was wrong wrong wrong.

Would anyone have done better though, given the regularity and quality of ball streaming into the Sydney forward line in that 2nd qtr (when Buddy kicked 4) ?

Hartley and Brown…highly doubt it.

Hooker (if fit)…marginally, but all the clever ground ball goals I doubt Cale would get near.

Hurley…probably, but he is no where near the 2015 version that we could confidently put on Buddy and Roughy types, and know he wouldn’t get towelled up.
Now, he’d probably get burned by Membrey !

1 Like

Having Ambrose unavailable for Anzac Day probably allows Worsfold to play Hooker back again.

1 Like

allows?

Thought he was good in his first game back.

7 Likes