#29 Patrick Ambrose -- forward or back?

■■■■■■ hard to fit them all in but Ambrose is the perfect type to shut down the Caddy’s and DeGoeys who are becoming more important.

8 Likes

When he’s not playing we all miss him, when he’s not he’s the first one we want dropped.

3 Likes

For me, Ambrose is not someone that figures readily in my mix of who I think about. Just doesn’t scream “lock in best 22 or thereabouts”.

1 Like

He’s a lock in someone’s best 22. Just not ours.
I’d trade him, we would not miss him at all, it’d be better for the longevity of his career, and we could possibly get back in to 3rd round of the draft.
Won’t happen though.

he’s the modern day dean wallis

will one day star in a grand final

just needs to stop getting injured

Can’t wait

Pretty much all of the coaches have disagreed with that though.

I agree with the concept, and when I think about the team add is select it. He’s not really in the thoughts. But given the way all of his coaches have thought of him, if he’s playing 2s next year I reckon it will be a sign that we’re going very very well.

1 Like

It will be very interesting to see what they do if we have a patch next year when him, Hooker, Hurley and Francis are all fit.
I’ve made it clear I don’t want Hurley being a distributor in the backline. He needs to go back to playing a more defensive role. This would seemingly make Ambrose redundant, because I don’t think we should be playing all 4 of those guys.
But I guess we’ll see.

1 Like

Ambrose has never had Francis to contend with though so based on his progression and assuming we keep Hooker back.

It’s really Hurley vs Ambrose which Hurls wins.

2 Likes

I agree. But it could be:

Play Hurls as the lockdown defender and Francis as 3rd tall (and be offensive)

or

Play Ambrose as lockdown defender and Hurley as 3rd tall (and be offensive).

I’d really prefer the former, but it wouldn’t be surprise me if they go with the latter.
I hope Francis tears up the training track to make it a no-brainer

Edit: There is an outside chance they play them all against some opponents.
Plus an outside chance that Hooker goes forward again, but I’d prefer to take the chances with Smack, Brown, Stewart

I don’t think anyone ever wants to see zone off, distributing Michael Hurley again. I hope he can get back to being a true defensive KPD but I certainly have doubts. If he doesn’t improve on last years outout, Ambrose may get his spot next year.

1 Like

You’re forgetting that Francis is the explosive big bodied mid that we’ve been looking for…

1 Like

But who will play Goddard’s role?

If Gleeson/Ridley replaces Goddard, then no space for Paddy (except in case of injury).

But if Francis replaces Goddard, then potentially still space for Paddy in best 22. He’s still a better lockdown than Gleeson/Ridley.

1 Like

Doubt Francis will ever replace Goddard. Simply does not have the running capacity nor will ever.

Redman it is IMO

Francis will be a 3rd tall defender or potentially in time one of the back two kpd’rs (once Hurls done)

Saad - Hooker - Francis
Gleeson - Hurley - McKenna

We’ve also got Heppell that could rotate through the backline so it’ll be interesting to see whether we play another “true” defender as part of a rotation or use versatile midfielders instead.

1 Like

I really don’t see what he brings other than great time trials and that tackle.

He doesn’t read the play at all and just follows an opponent around.

I think he can be depth for Hurley but thats it. Both of them as tall defenders doesn’t work.

With Hooker out I would prefer Brown to go back (at least he’s smart) and then we can have the more powerful presence of Smack forward.

Or if we want Brown forward have Zerk or Hartley.

I would love to be wrong but I just don’t think Ambrose is AFL quality.

4 Likes

Capture-3-660x296

I agree. Never seen it.

good luck getting him in that.

1 Like

Ambrose is at his best on medium sized forwards. He really struggles on the monster forwards. Whereas Hurley is the complete opposite

I would rather have Ambrose in the team over Hartley any day

3 Likes