#29 Patrick Ambrose -- forward or back?

Some nearby Hawks fans were laughing at half time, worpel and shiels 20+disposals, ha ha ha essendon players hardly any haha ha.

75 minutes later Hawthorn beaten, Gunston 1 goal . Its actually the scoreboard that matters. That wiped the smiles off the Hawthorn flogs faces.

5 Likes

They were always going to have high disposals, marks etc because they just kept kicking around their backline. We made it very difficult for them to break through. It was great!

3 Likes

Easy to rack up numbers when your entire game plan is centred around possessing the football. Fact remains they couldn’t find a winner up forward to capitalise on the I50 dominance in the 1st half. When we started denying them time and space with the ball it was a rout. A few gifts to keep them in it late was just window dressing on an otherwise convincing win. Most pleased with the fact we scored the best part of 100pts and still defended extremely well. It’s building.

1 Like

I was not across the circumstances but 2 weeks earlier Gunston kicked 6 in a Hawthorn win. Shutdown Breust and Gunston and Hawthorn are going nowhere irrespective of how good their system is. Well done Ambo and Saad.

2 Likes

the cannon exists. i wonder if ol’ mate would lend it to ambroseeeee?

You could see early on that the Dawks were reluctant to kick the ball much past the centre. They were unwilling to take the game on, and also failed to supply any over lapping run, to try and break up our defence. Chip, chip, chip, that was all they could think of to do.

That was a deliberate ploy. They were trying to stretch and move our zone to open up space in the corridor to move it forward and create quality shots at goal for what is a bog ordinary forward line. It worked on a number of occasions but mostly we held our defensive shape and were able force shallow entries that were far easier to intercept and repel. If they had’ve continued that for the entire game, I expect we would’ve been beaten with us tiring from the effort to shut down their uncontested marks and eventually get opened up. But were able to shut down their uncontested game after half time and importantly dominated the centre square which enabled us to set up field position.

Agree with all of this. When l saw them revert to the chip, chip, chip style, l knew we were well on the way to winning the game, as they had not worked out a way to penetrate the defence, in other words our game plan was being impressed upon them, and they had no answer to it. Lacking forwards who were prepared to take on Hurley/Hooker/Ambrose helped. That makes the decision to not include Roughhead even more perplexing. He at least would have provided a marking target and would have contested.

I actually think you’ve got it backwards… They were playing the way they wanted to play in the 1st half. It was their style of game that was being imposed on us. If the game had’ve continued in that fashion I believe we would’ve lost. Our excellent work in the defence in the 1st half is what kept us in the game. After half time the game changed. The ball lived in our front half for large periods and we shut down their uncontested game, which is what they wanted to do.

They were playing that way, and we allowed them to, but they lacked seriously good F 50 entries, due to our defensive set up. l think we are saying much the same thing.

1 Like

:+1:

Ambrose always blankets Gunston. Has a great record of him. Loved when he almost removed Puopolo throat in the first qtr too

The guy could easily be top 5 in the B n F so far

4 Likes

Essendon Football Club is delighted to announce Patrick Ambrose has extended his contract with the Bombers for a further two years.

The new deal will see Ambrose don the sash until at least the end of 2021.

The 27-year-old has played 80 games in the red and black, first joining the Bombers with pick number 26 in the 2014 AFL Rookie Draft.

Across the league, Ambrose has statistically been rated the number one lockdown defender so far in 2019. The defender said he was pleased to extend his time at The Hangar.

“I’m thrilled to extend my contract for a further two years, I love playing at this Club,” Ambrose said.

“We have a great mix of developing talent coming through, and an experienced group of leaders so we are building towards something special.

“Ultimately, we want to continue to improve as a team and I believe this group is capable of success in the coming years.”

General Manager of List and Recruiting Adrian Dodoro said Ambrose is a crucial member of the Bombers’ backline.

“Paddy has become a key pillar in what is a solid defensive unit and is widely recognised as an elite lockdown defender,” Dodoro said.

“He is a highly respected person at the Club and we are thrilled to continue to see him thrive both on and off the field.”

13 Likes

Great news. He must be the first name on the team sheet opposition forwards look for.

2 Likes

I feel like this bloke needs to be captain. Probably crazy but just think if all our players applied themselves like him we’d see consistency.

He’s the kind of guy who will always have his future somewhat up in the air. Most people will do their pre-season Best 22s and he won’t be in there, and if he has a poor year he would be the first one you’d think about delisting or having him throw around in a trade. But all things said he’s been super down back as a shut-down defender. Has his limitations with ball in hand but he does what defenders should do and that’s beat their opponent. Finally had a good run without injury and is producing the goods. Well done Paddy!

4 Likes

You expect news announcements like this to be gushing with praise - but in Paddy’s case you feel he is indeed highly respected and key elite lock down defender for the club.

I don’t tend to notice him during games, which probably says he does his job without fuss. He’s 27 so we have him extending through the peaky-peak period of his career.

2 Likes

“Across the league, Ambrose has statistically been rated the No.1 lockdown defender so far in 2019.”

We’re lucky to have him. When the rest of the team get’s their ■■■■ together and we become competitive Ambrose will be a key part of us winning games.

6 Likes

Reward for toil. Onya, Paddy.

1 Like

Don’t reckon you want your captain right down either end of the ground.

Happy to see him in the leadership group.

1 Like