#29 Patrick Ambrose -- forward or back?

Anything official on this?

Strange that a seasoned campaigner would be cramping the whole last quarter.

I’m worried

Same

PADDY
FARKIN
AMBROSE

4 Likes

Just watched the replay a couple of times. He was cramping a fair bit. Especially his leg. Then he had somebody land on him pretty hard on the goal line. Most of the last quarter he just looked gassed. No where near as dramatic as the commentators were making it sound. He’ll get up. He never trains much at this time of the year so i’m guessing that’s why he’s cramping and knackered by the end of games.

LAZY, LAZY POSTING right there.

Just post the gif man !

1 Like

ambrose%20small

12 Likes

I can’t believe that’s actually a thing. Amazing. :joy:

1 Like

Gotta mention this guy. Jenkins was off the leash and he completely shut him down. he is the most underrated key defender in the league

13 Likes

Yep. Straightens us up down back big time. Whoever he gets moved to just becomes a non factor in the game. Hmm Jenkins is toweling us up, you know what to do Ambrose :sunglasses:

1 Like

For a bloke who isn’t tall in the context of a key backman, he plays like a gorilla.

Has really turned himself into a valuable piece of our back six.

2 Likes

In case I didn’t already say it: upgrade on Hurley.

3 Likes

This stat was put up pregame
Those are some elite numbers

11 Likes

One of my favourite things last night was seeing Ambrose towel up Jenkins when he was moved on to him

3 Likes

Mmmm, DJR, that might be a little harsh don’t you think? They play different roles: Ambrose is a pure stopper and, as someone posted a little earlier, arguably the best in the league just now. That said, he averages on about 5 kicks and 3 marks a game.

The Bear, on the other hand, is less a stopper and more of a sweeper, reading the play, intercepting opposition parries and often turning them around into attacks by incisively distributing the ball. He’s had a pretty good season, averaging 15 kicks and 8 marks per game. Granted his kicking and even his decision-making isn’t quite as good as it has been in the past but I wonder if that’s a product of him trying to be more attacking?

Far be it for me to gainsay your judgement, DJR – I usually find myself nodding furiously in with most of your posts and admiring your positivity – but in this case I’m going to disagree. We actually need both of them, I reckon.

1 Like

That might be true for a team with limited rebound/intercept ability, but that’s not us. Of course I can cope with Hurley as the third tall defender.

1 Like

Just gets the job done most weeks but please don’t let him kick it!
He will be an AA one day

1 Like

His body would have to hold up for a whole season for that to happen.

1 Like

His kicking isn’t even that bad.
Able to hit that 20-25m chipper pretty well.
Just wouldn’t be wanting or expecting him to be attempting 40m tracer bullets.

2 Likes

Yep. One OOTF and the extremists go extreme.

Kicking has been fine. Including the Goal.

Actually think maybe there was a fair breeze coming across the ground towards the Camera side. His wasn’t the only one to drift out on that side. Most noticeable when Mitch kicked the late 45 metre one from that sides pocket. It came back a good 15 feet on the wind.

@theDJR may or may not be able to confirm(eg “Remember” :wink: )

Wasn’t just the one last night. I think he is an ok kicker but not a great kicker and he isn’t creative with the ball. With the blokes he has around him I’d rather him give them off. He is easily our best pure lock down defender though

3 Likes