#29 Patrick Ambrose -- forward or back?

Just reminds me of Slattery. Great lockdown, bugger all else.

Slattery wasn’t even a great lockdown though. He was the ultimate spud that guy can;t believe he use to get love around here.

Tend to agree. Got pantsed by small forwards regularly.

Ambrose is the Essendon Presti.

sans the top shelf name.

Yep Slattery still had bags kicked on him…whereas Ambrose has been playing in this defensive role for less than 12 months and has already shown an ability to completely nullify star key forwards, even holding them goaless.

Sorry, I accidentally double posted - please delete this second post

Slattery wasn’t even a great lockdown though. He was the ultimate spud that guy can;t believe he use to get love around here.

Slattery used to get love around here? Yeah and I’m sure Bolton, Hennemen & Murphy send their thank you support cards to blitz every Christmas also.

I was one of the first on here to back him in as a defender after one of his first games there. Did a terrific job one night and all the haters couldn’t take their haters goggles off to realise that was one of his games where he started to cement his spot

Completely recognise and applaud his talents as taller lock down defender - but same can also be said of Hartley - and neither of them are effective offensively.

To me, there appears a lot of support already for a backline of:

B: Bags, Hartley, Ambrose
HB: Kelly, Hurley, Gleeson

Unless we play on a team where we may need to negate several key talls (ala West Coast or GWS), I’m just not sure we need all three of Hurley, Ambrose and Hartley. By doing so, are we sacrificing a spot that would be better taken by a rebounding player? We seem to lack a bit of speed and/or polish kicking coming out of the backline if the above were the case.

Edit: the development of McGrath and Francis would be crucial to our backline structure.

I am probably going against the majority here. but i would prefer the following backline

B: Bags Ambrose Dea
HB: Kelly Hurley McGrath

Hartley has had a injury interrupted preseason, and I have ambrose just ahead.
Hurley to CHB where he can be more attacking.
Dea playing 3rd tall def/medium def. For the Huge forwardlines could bring in Hartley/Brown.
McGrath to do apprenticeship under Kelly.

Gleeson might still be in the 22.

Slattery used to get love around here? Yeah and I’m sure Bolton, Hennemen & Murphy send their thank you support cards to blitz every Christmas also.

He was definitely loved by some, with several being up in arms when he was finally turfed

1 Like
Completely recognise and applaud his talents as taller lock down defender - but same can also be said of Hartley - and neither of them are effective offensively.

Unless we play on a team where we may need to negate several key talls (ala West Coast or GWS), I’m just not sure we need all three of Hurley, Ambrose and Hartley. By doing so, are we sacrificing a spot that would be better taken by a rebounding player? We seem to lack a bit of speed and/or polish kicking coming out of the backline if the above were the case.

Edit: the development of McGrath and Francis would be crucial to our backline structure.

Nowhere near enough pace and run.

We all know Ambrose is no Rance. But some have short memories. Last night Ambrose played on Darcy Moore, who scarcely moved out of the goal square, so Ambo was ultra defensive. The last AFL game was against Carlton, Ambo was on Liam Jones who was in career best form ( not that that means much) playing the mobile half forward role. Jones had 5 kicks for the game and didnt bother the scorers, but Ambrose kicked several passes inside 50, and was involved in several more handball chains through the centre that lead to goals . Those who say he is a liability with ball in hand would need to look at him in games where he plays more across half back and follows his opponent upfield.

LOL - seriously?

Yep. Doesnt say much about Liam does it. The week before Jones had career high disposals of 17 and career high contested possessions of 15 against Melbourne. Then Ambo basically destroyed him and did some damage on the rebound.

When you factor in midfielders dropping back; you’re a hard man to please lol

Good game apart from a couple of turnovers.

I just hope his development continues as a defender rather than stalls like it did as a forward. Because if he can keep improving his offensive game and be more damaging he will be one hell of a key defender.

Thought he did very well. Put his hand up for a Round 1 berth. I would be happy with Hurls,Hartley and Ambrose being the 3 talls down back in Round 1

Once he gets a bit more confidence and starts grabbing his marks, he will be a certain starter.

Do people not see the value he adds to the team? No value offensively… thankfully that is not his job. Runs and runs and runs and follows his opponent around the whole time. Wherever moore was last night, ambrose was a meter away. All of last year that was also the case. He simply does not get goals kicked on him and completely drags a dangerous key forward out of the game. Best 22 for me.

1 Like

Yep lock him in

When you factor in midfielders dropping back; you’re a hard man to please lol

There should be a penalty for over use of “lol”. Serious now though, your run from defence can’t just come from midfielders. The game is too fast for that.

Ambrose is best 22 everyday of the week

Sounds excessive, considering there’s usually only one game a week.

Last year i saw him play in the vfl and he was rubbish. I got home and proclaimed he should never play another game. 2 weeks later he was back in the seniors and stayed there all year and deserved to. Defensively he is one of the best pkayers in the league. Offensively he is one of the worst. Hartley and hurley will be the first 2 kpd picked and i can see brown and ambrose fighting it out for the 3rd key tall spot down back. A lot will depend on match ups.

I also think ambrose could be a midfield tagger on someone like bontempelli.

I think he’ll get a game more often than not though

Hartley is a very a much much better kick, and is better suited then ambrose to someone like a Hawkins. But a on either one of the revolts Ambrose is the only one that can run with them all day.

Why the fark are we talking about rance gibson lake ffs…whats farkin wrong with hurls hooker ???@i8y78&^8

Last year i saw him play in the vfl and he was rubbish. I got home and proclaimed he should never play another game. 2 weeks later he was back in the seniors and stayed there all year and deserved to. Defensively he is one of the best pkayers in the league. Offensively he is one of the worst. Hartley and hurley will be the first 2 kpd picked and i can see brown and ambrose fighting it out for the 3rd key tall spot down back. A lot will depend on match ups.

I also think ambrose could be a midfield tagger on someone like bontempelli.

I think he’ll get a game more often than not though

Agree with all of that except for the midfield tagger role.