#29 Patrick Ambrose -- forward or back?

Correct - manned up on Curnow who didn’t mark until Ambrose was on the bench in Q1 and Hurley simply spectated Curnow take a big pack mark.

Whoever Ambrose was on didn’t really touch the ball which is what normally happens.

He will be better for the run.

Thank God he is back because Hurley again was diabolical in the air in 1:1 contest spectating firstly Curnow and then Silvagni in Q1 take overhead marks from high, slow balls.

5 Likes

Thought he was solid.

Especially for a first game back.

1 Like

Yeah I thought he was good

3 Likes

The guy just doesnt get beaten one on one

4 Likes

Hes instructions are very clear and he does the job well but hes not very damaging, theres only room in the side for one of hartley and ambrose.
Neither will be in essendons next premiership team and they aint allow.

Was a good first up match after such a long lay off.

Will be better for it.

And, i’d rather he blow out the cobwebs against Carlton’s forward line than Adelaides…

1 Like

Hardly had a nightmare. WTF??

Good to get that one under the belt and blow the cobwebs out.

Hopefully gets pretty close to full Ambrose next week.

1 Like

He keeps Tex quiet next week, we kick straight and we win.

1 Like

Great to see you back early, Paddy ! Hope you give Tex a real bath next week. Drown the fugger.

1 Like

What a misinformed post - He played on Curnow who for a second year player has been flying for the last 4 weeks - Curnow had no influence on the game - It’s no secret that Curnow featured in few marking contests.

2 Likes

I thought Curnow was quite dominant with few opportunities. I was at the game and watched it after as well.

Few opportunities?
Carlton had 51 inside 50s.

Does not mean he was near the destination.

Does that not suggest that Ambrose was doing a fine job then in keeping his opponent away from the ball?

Maybe if he was holding him captive? Not sure if you watched the game? Their forward entries were pretty poor for the most part. As were ours.

Lock down defender’s opponent has quiet game - hardly indicates that Ambrose had a nightmare!

3 Likes

No where near a nightmare but he did look of the pace and a bit lost at times.
As with Lav i think we would have been better served letting him work up a bit more match fitness and form in the 2’s but he was servicable and will (should) only get better with more games

No magoos this week so I think they were right to bring him in. They need him if we are to have a show at the finals.

3 Likes

Good one. The only thing that would have been better with your ‘not sure if I watched the game’
crack was if you managed to call me ‘Champ’

If you think Curnow with a 12 possession game and one goal is ‘quite dominant’ then fair play to you. I think you are off the mark though

For me, Ambrose did what Ambrose mostly does in the backline, and even allowing for the fact that he should be better for the run in the coming weeks, I am pretty content with any defender only conceding one goal to his opponent.

Dominant in contests champ! Ambrose was lost in contests frequently.